United States
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 44s
Overall Rank = 941/1919
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 90/309
Pre-race routine:

Me, my sister and two friends arrived in the area on Saturday, spent a few fun, yummy hours at the Easton Garlic Festival, then headed to Bethlehem for packet pick-up and dinner. Had a fabulous dining experience, per usual, at Molinari's, then headed to the hotel.

It was a fairly late race start time (10:30 am), so we were casual about getting going in the morning, arriving about an hour before the start. Did bag check, bathroom breaks, then marveled at the improvements in organization that the RD made since last year. Then again, I don't think it sold out and there seemed to be a fair amount less people than last year, too. I think there were around 3,000 entrants last year.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and small dynamic stretches. Main warm-up: staying warm inside the Arts Quest building until start time!

I headed to the 9-11 minute/mile corral while the others headed farther back in the pack. Cuda was planning on run/walk, while Whale and Lizard were planning on walking.

They started the 'fast kids' corral, then about two and a half minutes later started my corral.
Run
  • 30m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 09s  min/km
Comments:

My training had been sporadic in the past few weeks leading up to this race because of a lot of turmoil in my personal life, so I went in to the race with no time expectations or goals, the only goal being to finish in a time I'd be OK with.

I maintained what I deemed to be a comfortable (yet not leisurely nor excessive) pace throughout the race. I'd glance at my watch mainly to make sure I wasn't slacking off too much, but never did I push myself hard. That was not the goal today; the goal was to enjoy the simple act of being able to race and have fun with friends.

They changed the course a little from last year to keep us out of historic Bethlehem and probably save a lot of road closures, and I liked the new course. They had German dancers around mile 1 and at the turnaround, so cool! I clapped for them as I passed.

I kept my eyes peeled for Cuda (saw her just before I hit mile 2) and Whale and Liz (saw them just after mile 2). I yelled encouragement at them as we passed. I'm so happy they did the race, too.

We were running into the wind after the turnaround and heading back over the bridge and back toward the steel stacks. I considered running harder to a faster finish and decided that really wasn't something I felt like doing: pushing myself hard. Nope.

I yelled, "Go RWB!" to the RWB dude holding the American flag as we neared the last .25 miles and go a "Hoo rah!" back. :)

When I crossed the finish line, I did the 'Whale pose', a kind of goofy, arms in the air posture that my sister unintentionally did last year, prompting much laughter and good-natured kidding. I can't wait to see the pics to see if I nailed it!

I got a water, chips, and Kind bar, then headed backwards on the course to look for my friends. I snapped a pic of Cuda, then kept walking until I got to the other two, who decided to start running when they saw me. I (kiddingly) yelled at them to stop running, probably confusing the heck out of everyone around them. Ah, well. I walked with them almost to the end, then peeled off so I wouldn't get tagged again by the photographers or the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got snacks/water for them, then we retrieved our bags and changed clothes. Next we headed over to the Oktoberfest area for our mug and free beer (24 oz!). No line, woo! After that we did a little shopping, chatting and eating. Just a little mini smorgasboard of various items like fried pickles, fried mashed potatoes with cheese, chicken on a stick, and fried butter. And beer. You know, healthy stuff.

Watched keg rolling contests as well as beer holding contests. The sun wonderfully, gloriously came out which was so enjoyable.

Lastly, we toured the steel stacks on the new walkway they installed, complete with informational placards. Very cool, I'd have loved to seen the area when the complex was still operational. I can't even begin to imagine how loud, hot, and impressive it surely must have been. They closed up shop for good in 1995 with the last of operations ending in 1998. I'm proud of Bethlehem for keeping the stacks as is and doing something beneficial with the properties (Arts Quest, entertainment areas and events, etc.) - there has been so much improvement and building since I've started coming to Bethlehem for hockey about 9-10 years ago.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

The race organization heard the complaints from last year and truly listened. The overall organization of all pre- and post-race events went much, much smoother than last year. Packet-pickup was streamlined. The long bathroom line issue was addressed as was the distribution of water/snacks at the end. Most importantly, (wink wink) they addressed the long beer line issue, or rather this year, lack of issue. No waiting in line at all when my friends and I went to the Oktoberfest area.

I hope whatever caused people to not register/show up this year was some sort of fluke. This year the organization did things right.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:44 | 05 kms | 06m 09s  min/km
Age Group: 90/309
Overall: 941/1919
Performance: Good
Course: Running around Bethlehem. ;)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-05 4:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

2015-10-05 5:33 PM
in reply to: #5144908

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

Great job! So glad you had fun this weekend. Sounds like a great time was had by all! Good on you for cheering on your friends, and the RWB guy

2015-10-06 7:51 AM
in reply to: #5144908

User image

Katy, Texas
What a fun weekend!! And a nice race to boot!

I need to know more about the beer holding contests. That sounds like something I could be good at.
2015-10-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like a great getaway weekend!  Woo hoo!

I love your description of your pace -- comfortable but not excessive or leisurely ;-)

2015-10-09 4:18 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

You just can't go wrong with an event like this.  Sounds like so much fun with the venue and post race activities.  Good job on the race.

2015-10-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great job managing a comfortable pace on minimal training!

Sounds like a fun race....and fried pickles are definitely a PA thing  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1611 Posts: 10

2015-04-21 9:12 AM amd723

Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1624 Posts: 12

2014-10-30 1:02 PM rrrunner

Yuengling Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1677 Posts: 6

2014-05-07 4:18 PM QueenZipp

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1245 Posts: 6

2013-04-19 3:00 PM reecealan

Breckenridge Oktoberfest 5k

Started by drewb8
Views: 1634 Posts: 2

2006-09-18 8:43 AM jmwebs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.