General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster on run/bike - strategy for off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-07 6:47 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: Getting faster on run/bike - strategy for off season

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by StevenC Bike trainer can be your friend, especially if you have family. This past winter I did 2-3 rides per week on my trainer for about an hour. After the kids went to bed with TV on in the background. But definitely try to have a plan for each workout. It keeps you motivated and fights boredom. Tues was shorter interval day, 4x4 min at 105% effort with 1 min easy. And Thurs was a little longer interval 2x15' or 3x10' at 90%. I used a power meter but you can certainly work off perceived effort. Weekends were longer either solo rides or group efforts and lots of hills thrown in for good measure.
100% agree. Bonus, I have an erg trainer where I can program the power level I want to maintain. I don't even have to look. I can even work on the trainer. If I had a $ for every Webex i did on the trainer, I'd be retired :-)

You are either EXTREMELY close to retiring or your business related Webex sessions are not very profitable.  LOL.

To the OP...I bet you can find more time to train if you really look for it.  Maybe watch a little less TV and get to bed 30 minutes earlier so you can get in a 30 minute run before everyone else wakes up.  A trainer is great in that it takes very minimal time before or after to get ready or washed up.

Sometimes you can come up with some creative ways to sneak in training into normal life.  If your kid is of driving age and you need to pick them up, maybe driver there with your bike, let your kid drive home while you ride home.  Think outside the box and I bet you can come up with a few ways to get more training in.

2015-10-07 6:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by StevenC Bike trainer can be your friend, especially if you have family. This past winter I did 2-3 rides per week on my trainer for about an hour. After the kids went to bed with TV on in the background. But definitely try to have a plan for each workout. It keeps you motivated and fights boredom. Tues was shorter interval day, 4x4 min at 105% effort with 1 min easy. And Thurs was a little longer interval 2x15' or 3x10' at 90%. I used a power meter but you can certainly work off perceived effort. Weekends were longer either solo rides or group efforts and lots of hills thrown in for good measure.
100% agree. Bonus, I have an erg trainer where I can program the power level I want to maintain. I don't even have to look. I can even work on the trainer. If I had a $ for every Webex i did on the trainer, I'd be retired :-)

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Kickr this Christmas!

2015-10-07 10:22 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Jason N

You are either EXTREMELY close to retiring or your business related Webex sessions are not very profitable.  LOL.

To the OP...I bet you can find more time to train if you really look for it.  Maybe watch a little less TV and get to bed 30 minutes earlier so you can get in a 30 minute run before everyone else wakes up.  A trainer is great in that it takes very minimal time before or after to get ready or washed up.

Sometimes you can come up with some creative ways to sneak in training into normal life.  If your kid is of driving age and you need to pick them up, maybe driver there with your bike, let your kid drive home while you ride home.  Think outside the box and I bet you can come up with a few ways to get more training in.

I will definitely do that once my kids are older Right now they are 6 and 7. I am single parent and I cannot leave them alone in the morning. I was actually thinking about it for next year. I am biking to/from work (from ky kids' school). I am swimming/running when they have their swim class on Saturday. I am using any possible window of free time for training. My female friends think I'm crazy
I think bike trainer would be a great addition, because I could do it at home.
Mary
2015-10-08 7:29 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83

I will definitely do that once my kids are older Right now they are 6 and 7. I am single parent and I cannot leave them alone in the morning. I was actually thinking about it for next year. I am biking to/from work (from ky kids' school). I am swimming/running when they have their swim class on Saturday. I am using any possible window of free time for training. My female friends think I'm crazy I think bike trainer would be a great addition, because I could do it at home. Mary

Mary, you've got some ideas here that are training gold.  Out of the box, early, late, or lunch sessions. Squeeze it in when you can. Involve the kids at times too. They ride their bikes while you run just once a week and you've all made a positive change. TV time is great for stretching and core work.  At the end of the week you look at it and notice that you've done way more than you thought possible.  Your friends may think you are crazy, but many would argue that they are the crazy ones.  As a parent of older kids, I can tell you that I wish I had involved them in exercise earlier in life.

2015-10-08 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marysia83  I will definitely do that once my kids are older Right now they are 6 and 7. I am single parent and I cannot leave them alone in the morning. I was actually thinking about it for next year. I am biking to/from work (from ky kids' school). I am swimming/running when they have their swim class on Saturday. I am using any possible window of free time for training. My female friends think I'm crazy I think bike trainer would be a great addition, because I could do it at home. Mary

Buying a trainer will be the best investment.  I'm a fan because of the quality workouts you get from them.  Also, I love it because I have 4 pairs of little eyes watching me.  I'm working out but I'm still at home.  You can get on trainer road and Zwift and get good workouts from it.

2015-10-08 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by marysia83

I will definitely do that once my kids are older Right now they are 6 and 7. I am single parent and I cannot leave them alone in the morning. I was actually thinking about it for next year. I am biking to/from work (from ky kids' school). I am swimming/running when they have their swim class on Saturday. I am using any possible window of free time for training. My female friends think I'm crazy I think bike trainer would be a great addition, because I could do it at home. Mary

Hi, Mary.  Welcome to The Triathlete's Dilemma...how to fit in all these SBR workouts, strength and core work, all while maintaining these things called JOBS and FAMILY. 

Good advice all around above.  I'll add one more thing...I found that biggest gains I got were from moving to 2x/day workouts, usually an o-dark-thirty something or another and then another workout at lunch or evening.  This is without raising the total volume much.  Like Jason mentioned above, I went to bed earlier and got up every frickin' day at 5 AM and trained until our daughter got up and we had to get her and us ready for the day.  If you could consistently squeeze in that morning trainer time it will pay huge dividends.  NOTE:  I HATED it at first...I didn't start out as a morning workout person but I got there eventually.

Good luck!

2015-10-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

, Tennessee
I can't imagine being a working single mom and still finding any time to train! Kudos to you and finding any way to get it done. I also highly recommend a trainer. In the winter when the roads get messy it is a lifesaver. I stay at home and homeschool 3 kids from ages 2 to 8 and I couldn't do it without a trainer. I would ride more but my youngest is too young to understand that you do NOT put your little fingers near the trainer, or try to climb up on mommy when I'm riding . But before they wake up or after they go to bed is perfect. As far as the run, you simply have to run more often to improve times. I wouldn't even worry about intervals or tempos, simply running more frequent slower miles will make a difference. You can add speedwork later as you get stronger and more accustomed to running. (adding it too soon leads to injury!) Is their a park/playground with a path that you can do laps on while they play? It's tough to train as a mom, but it's worth it for your own sanity and to keep yourself healthy and set a good example for them. It is easy to get lost in mommyhood but it's important we still have something for ourselves.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster on run/bike - strategy for off season Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2064 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Post-Season, Off-Season, Pre-Season Training

Started by richwampler
Views: 1510 Posts: 2

2010-10-01 10:04 AM JohnnyKay

Faster running off the bike

Started by JoshR
Views: 953 Posts: 10

2010-04-13 6:28 PM tri808

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2596 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz

off season Swim, Bike, Run Times????

Started by tri-dg
Views: 569 Posts: 1

2008-10-14 12:09 PM tri-dg
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.
date : October 10, 2004
author : Ron
Maintain a two-day-a-week swimming and running routine. If this happens, my 2005 times should be greatly improved in these areas.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.