General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Way To Deal With A Strained Hamstring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-06 10:32 AM

User image

West Linn, Or
Subject: Best Way To Deal With A Strained Hamstring
I strained a hamstring last week. it's not that bad and it looked like it was getting better pretty quickly but I aggravated it again the other day and I feel like I am back to square one again. I know these types of things can linger for a long time so my question is what is the best way to deal with this? do I just need to rest it or is there something I should be doing to speed recovery up? I don't feel like I need to see a Dr. or anything. It's not that bad, I definitely don't want it to get worse though.

Thanks,

2015-10-06 5:25 PM
in reply to: mcyork37

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Best Way To Deal With A Strained Hamstring
Are you sure it's a hamstring? I thought I'd strained a hamstring once but eventually went to a doc and then a physiotherapist who finally identified a small muscle under the glute that's used for rotation and stabilization. I tried working through it. That was a mistake but even after resting it I was having trouble no matter how easy I tried to run again. It wasn't getting better until the physio prescribed exercises to rebuild the right muscle. If your injury is recovering all right then carry on with what you're doing, but if it's not then get it checked. Good luck.
2015-10-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #5145024

User image

West Linn, Or
I guess I'm not absolutely positive but feel like it's to far down the leg to be a glute.

Thanks
2015-10-06 6:55 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

A grade 1 strain can take up to 2-3 weeks to fully heal.  If you can see a PT, as he/she can provide you with the proper care procedures, exercises, etc., for you to follow. A PT friend on mine charges $70 in his practice (thankfully I'm a friend!)

2015-10-07 5:22 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I've had several Grade 1 and 2 level tears throughout years of heavy training, and a couple really bad tears that required complete shutdown for a period. Level 1 can be trained through wisely, but the go to therapeutic moves for me that have ALWAYS worked have been accupuncture (in more serious cases), light ROM work and stabilization therapy, ultrasound (have a home kit) - electro-stimulation (another home kit) and heat (magnesium sulfate) wraps and soaks. Massage helps as well,as long as inflammation and pain aren't prevailing
2015-10-11 1:49 PM

User image

My advice after lots of hamstring problems: stay on your bike, and away from running for awhile - until you can walk with no pain. A Nordic Track ski machine - if you can find one and get used to it - is a terrific way to train through hamstring pulls for running. Or an elliptical, though you won't get the same kind of workout on them as you will on a Nordic Track.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Way To Deal With A Strained Hamstring Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone dealt with a stomach muscle pull/strain

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 962 Posts: 4

2012-08-13 8:01 AM TriRSquared

biking with hamstring strain?

Started by meggfishy
Views: 5446 Posts: 4

2012-04-24 1:18 PM swishyskirt

Ways to show offhow good your really are.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Thaitri
Views: 4299 Posts: 44

2010-08-18 10:32 AM thegoddess

Best ways to improve swim?

Started by Iowa Action
Views: 2176 Posts: 16

2009-05-05 10:58 PM AdventureBear

Best ways to increase leg strength?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 2014 Posts: 20

2007-05-14 6:41 PM Cyclingmaniac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 24, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I am constantly tinkering with my bike setup but in the morning, my fingertips can just barely touch my kneecaps upon bending forward. Should I stretch my hamstrings?

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?
date : January 17, 2012
comments : 0
Pain in the hamstring region can be very frustrating and challenging for triathletes - healing may take several weeks and there are many factors that may complicate the eventual outcome.

date : April 14, 2010
I have been having a right hamstring issue over the last four weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I just pulled it pretty good but would like some advice. How long does it take for it to completely heal?
date : May 25, 2009
I strained my left hamstring over two years ago and thought I had gotten past it. Yesterday, it hampered me quite a bit and it felt like it was on the edge of giving out again.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : April 11, 2007
This is a “hip-butt” injury, which describes the location of the insertion of the hamstring tendon at the base of the pelvis on the ischial tuberosity very well. They are difficult to treat.

date : October 1, 2006
This injury commonly occurs during what is called the recovery phase and/or the take-off phase of running. Hamstring strains range from mild, grade I, to a more severe, grade III.