General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do wetsuit sleeves really help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-14 7:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: How much do wetsuit sleeves really help?
I tried two more times in the pool and it stunk each time. I didn't know if it is the size, the model or what....but I don't care. Much happier now.

Edited by 3mar 2015-10-14 7:10 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1078KB - 11 downloads)

2015-10-14 7:22 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by 3mar

Every time I do a wetsuit legal tri, I get more fed up with my wetsuit. First I had the issues of getting my legs out...cut the bottom 6" off and that is now ok. Then I've had the recurring issue of arm/tricep soreness and general restrictiveness in my arms and shoulders. Also the dang thing is so tight I couldn't get the sleeve off with my watch on. So I chopped a couple inches off the arms and i can now at least get my watch out. But swimming with it in the pool this morning (I have to wear it for about two weeks in the pool before a triathlon, so my shoulders and triceps get used to it) I'm just getting tired of it. Why all this effort? I'm about this close to chopping the arms off completely. I really don't even see much of a difference in my swimming. I did the same set this morning (5 x 100 m) that I did a week ago and my times were maybe 1-2 seconds faster. I was able to hold 1:14/100m last week and this week I was at 1:12-1:13 for each, but my arms hurt the whole time and one of the guys I swim with mentioned that I wasn't extending nearly as much as usual. I think the movement restriction and discomfort are outweighing the extra buoyancy and I just loath the thing. I really do. Will removing the sleeves really make any performance difference in regard to buoyancy? I'm thinking the reduced arm fatigue will make it worth it. Plus, I would love to chop those #($*($*# sleeves off....

Here's my 2 cents on the matter

Sleeves are if anything MINIMALLY faster. Remember your arms are in the water 50% of the time, so theres that.

Most people do not put on their wetsuits correctly or find the correct ones and so their shoulders fatigue quickly. Yeah you might be 1-2 seconds faster, but does your shoulders crapping out keep you out of aero? Does it effect your arm swing in your run? Those are seconds lost back and then some.

Roka has changing how wetsuits are made, they took away the "catch" panels on the arms as they found them to be BS, its up to you to decide if it is BS, or if what they are marketing as BS.

I went sleeveless this year finally and will never wear a sleeved suit again.
2015-10-15 2:47 PM
in reply to: mcyork37

Thanks for the info! just ordered a new swimskin.. love their products!
2015-10-15 7:35 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
, California

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The Speedtube bottom is 5mm.  The Speedvest top is 2mm.

I have the T1 First Wave Bibjohn and Concept 5 long sleeve top.  I also have the Speedvest in case I want to have a sleeveless.

We should also mention that De Soto will let you try the suit for ... I think 15 days(?) in open water and if you don't like it, return it no questions asked.

I have the first wave concept 5 top and bibjohn and am very happy with it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much do wetsuit sleeves really help? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Making a long sleeve wetsuit a no-sleeve?

Started by Izlude
Views: 4669 Posts: 16

2012-07-10 3:34 PM BikerGrrrl

Wetsuit - Sleeves or No Sleeves

Started by kshuszar
Views: 2646 Posts: 8

2011-09-20 6:49 AM brigby1

Wetsuit--Sleeves/No Sleeves

Started by MineralMike
Views: 2152 Posts: 14

2010-02-20 12:30 AM MQsack

Wetsuit--Sleeves/No Sleeves

Started by MineralMike
Views: 1089 Posts: 6

2010-02-19 10:36 PM tjfry

Wetsuits - To Sleeve or not to Sleeve

Started by bradparsons01
Views: 1326 Posts: 9

2007-05-08 1:23 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.