General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-07 5:02 AM

Subject: HR training
Hi
I have had a fitness assessment and now have the info needed to work out my HR zones. I went for my first run yesterday - 40 min run, I had to walk as much as I ran as my HR kept going too high...I was trying to keep between 1&2..what can I do to improve this? I'm not a runner and have started as u want to do half marathon distance in May as part of HIM --how long will it be till I see an improvement? Or is this a hopeless starting point?
I'd be very grateful for help and advice this has really thrown me I didn't realise I was so unfit

2015-10-07 6:59 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: HR training
What kind of assessment did you have? How were your zones established? It's not uncommon to need to include walking breaks to keep your HR in zone 2 when starting out, especially going up hills. Assuming you're running frequently enough (4+ times / week), and gradually increasing duration of the runs, fitness will increase relatively consistently starting in the first 2-4 weeks.
2015-10-07 4:41 PM
in reply to: #5145171

Hi my HR zones were created from WATT bike session, I wasn't sure how often to run so I could increase from 3 to 4 times a week if that would help. Should I avoid hills to start with?
Thanks for your help
2015-10-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
If you are just starting out, don't worry too much about HR and zones. The more training you do, the easier it will become. Work on building your running as a habit. After a few weeks, do another HR check and I would bet you'll see improvement.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR training Rss Feed