General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 in Raleigh Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-09 12:01 PM

Subject: IM 70.3 in Raleigh
Happy Friday everyone!
I just found out IM 70.3 is sold out for 2016, which is a real bummer because i'm trying to schedule my first 70.3 while still being able to try and run Chicago next fall. I see that 70.3 in Raleigh is still open, but haven't heard anything about it. Does anyone here have any experience with this race or heard anything about it?

As always, thank you for any feedback.

Alex

2015-10-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 in Raleigh
I did it this year and loved it.

Swim was a bit "long" and choppy and non-wetsuit legal, times were slow, but I enjoyed it. Bike has good pavement and what I would call rolling hills, not crazy hilly, not flat. Lots of hills you can carry your momentum over if you know how to shifting properly. Run is 2x out and back, again rolling hills, not hilly, not flat, just a couple rollers. Some shade on the run not much, was about 88-92 on race day. City supports it well and the volunteers are great.

The one difficult part of the race is the split transition and you have to bus to the lake. Thought it would be a pain but they managed to do it very well, about a 30-40 minute commute to the lake, Just a bit earlier of a morning.
2015-10-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Not a comment on the course itself, but on the perspective of a spectator. I had a friend who went with her husband, and because of the way the course is laid out, she found it tough to find him. Nothing on the swim, only later on in the bike. She said the best place to find your athlete is the run. Just in case you're traveling with someone and that matters to you!
2015-10-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #5145666

@bcagle...for a weaker swimmer would you recommend Raleigh as a first 70.3? I was hoping to do Chattanooga, sold out, and Muncie is out due to a wedding. The other option may be Steelhead in Michigan.
2015-10-10 3:56 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by linkslefty

@bcagle...for a weaker swimmer would you recommend Raleigh as a first 70.3? I was hoping to do Chattanooga, sold out, and Muncie is out due to a wedding. The other option may be Steelhead in Michigan.

I would say for a weaker swimmer any wetsuit legal race will be easier. I'm not positive, but I think they moved the date up about 1 month from last year. I don't know if it will make it wetsuit legal or not, but it should be cooler.
2015-10-11 1:36 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I did both this year.

Steelhead has a notoriously "bad/rough" swim, but they changed the course.

I will be blunt though, if your that weak of a swimmer it fears you, train it. Get in open water, work on your stroke, build confidence. In that case Steelhead is 3 months later so that will allow you more OWS time.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, I just see so many people get to the start line unprepared and depend on their wetsuit and not taken ownership in their training.

2015-10-11 8:30 AM

User image

Regular
I just checked a few minutes ago as I'm preparing my season and Raleigh still shows it is open. Chatanooga 70.3 (my first choice) is sold out.
2015-10-11 11:18 AM
in reply to: #5145872

I appreciate the advice. I've actually never even put on a wetsuit, so I don't even know how it helps. It's not that I fear I can't complete the swim, just trying to pick a first 70.3 that will play to my strengths. Having said that, I would be hoping for it to be wsl so that I could take advantage of that additional buoyancy.
2015-10-11 7:56 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I live in Raleigh and raced it two years ago.
I really enjoyed it. The swim was wetsuit legal in 2013 and 2014. Its always right around the wetsuit legal temp. The swim is not bad, and wasnt terribly choppy when I raced it. Bike course is rolling and fairly scenic. As mentioned before, the run is 2x out and back and finishes in downtown Raleigh. Crowd support and volunteer support on the run was solid, as well as the last ~10-15 miles of the bike (when going through Holly Springs). Logistically, for spectators, its not ideal, due to the point to point nature of it, but the logistics were handled well by WTC. The experience as a whole was very good, and I will do it again at somepoint. Wanting to do Vineman 70.3 this year, so probably wont do Raleigh.
2015-10-12 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I've raced Raleigh 3 times (full disclosure I live here). I've also done Steelhead, Augusta, Austin, and B2B. Raleigh and Augusta are probably my two top recommendations. Take a look at the race reports. A couple of thoughts then feel free to PM me with any questions.

- The swim has been wetsuit legal 2 of 3 years. But it's always going to be a last minute thing as to whether it will be or not. Of course, even when it's not wetsuit legal you have the option of wearing one (but you go in the last wave and you aren't eligible for awards... the latter not usually being too relevant for many). Aside from that the swim is pretty straight forward open water.
- The bike is beautiful NC countryside for the most part. It is "somewhat" hilly. How hilly tends to depend on your frame of reference. The roads are generally good.
- The run is two laps in downtown Raleigh with really good crowd support.
- The point-to-point transition thing is a bit of a PITA but not uncommon and not a reason to not do the race IMO.
- The race can be hot being in NC in early June.
- The city really welcomes the race. And the race support is excellent.
2015-10-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Originally posted by smoom

I've raced Raleigh 3 times (full disclosure I live here). I've also done Steelhead, Augusta, Austin, and B2B. Raleigh and Augusta are probably my two top recommendations. Take a look at the race reports. A couple of thoughts then feel free to PM me with any questions.

- The swim has been wetsuit legal 2 of 3 years. But it's always going to be a last minute thing as to whether it will be or not. Of course, even when it's not wetsuit legal you have the option of wearing one (but you go in the last wave and you aren't eligible for awards... the latter not usually being too relevant for many). Aside from that the swim is pretty straight forward open water.
- The bike is beautiful NC countryside for the most part. It is "somewhat" hilly. How hilly tends to depend on your frame of reference. The roads are generally good.
- The run is two laps in downtown Raleigh with really good crowd support.
- The point-to-point transition thing is a bit of a PITA but not uncommon and not a reason to not do the race IMO.
- The race can be hot being in NC in early June.
- The city really welcomes the race. And the race support is excellent.

Yeah, what he said ^^^, except I have a place in my heart for B2B as well. But Raleigh is a really well done race, the course is challenging enough to keep you honest but nothing that should scare you too much (as smoom said, rolling hills but no big climbs). The swim is just that- a 1.2 mile lake swim. Nothing more, nothing less. Some years it is wetsuit legal, some years it is not.

2015-10-13 1:28 PM
in reply to: #5145963

I really aporeciate everyone's feedback. Being newer to this, I'm curious to follow up with another question: some of you have mentioned community support as a big positive. Have you been deterred from other races because of a lack of that? I would've never thought to consider the spectator support.
2015-10-13 1:35 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by bcagle25

I did both this year.

Steelhead has a notoriously "bad/rough" swim, but they changed the course.

I will be blunt though, if your that weak of a swimmer it fears you, train it. Get in open water, work on your stroke, build confidence. In that case Steelhead is 3 months later so that will allow you more OWS time.

Not trying to be a jerk about it, I just see so many people get to the start line unprepared and depend on their wetsuit and not taken ownership in their training.

Not to highjack the thread, but what did they change at Steelhead? Did it 2 years ago, and there were some swells, but nothing awful.
2015-10-13 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

I really aporeciate everyone's feedback. Being newer to this, I'm curious to follow up with another question: some of you have mentioned community support as a big positive. Have you been deterred from other races because of a lack of that? I would've never thought to consider the spectator support.

For me, I train alone a lot. When I race I like having some crowd support. Its just more fun. I have no desire to do a race like the Finish Strong Half where it is very small, little crowd support, etc because it is basically like paying money to do a triathlon on my own. Of the races mentioned though (B2B, Raleigh 70.3, Augusta 70.3), crowd support is pretty good so no worries there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 in Raleigh Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Raleigh 70.3 2014????

Started by Cayenne
Views: 1125 Posts: 3

2013-06-03 5:58 PM Cayenne

Just withdrew from Raleigh 70.3

Started by Cayenne
Views: 1132 Posts: 3

2013-04-15 4:53 PM Tiffanator

BOOYAAH Ironman 70.3 Raleigh Pages: 1 2

Started by brade
Views: 5069 Posts: 32

2012-08-10 11:46 AM abreakey

IM 70.3 Muncie and IM Louisville sweepstakes

Started by zed707
Views: 927 Posts: 2

2012-04-10 7:19 PM indianacyclist

IM Florida and the 70.3 Championships a week apart

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1142 Posts: 8

2006-05-05 1:29 PM TriBodyboarder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.