BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)
In case I don't get back on here in time:

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda
Merry Christams and Happy New Year

2015-12-22 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Janyne, My current setup for my kickr is my laptop set on a shelf with an HDMI lead attached to a flat screen tv mounted on a wall. I also have a usb extension lead lead running from one of the USB ports on the laptop with an Ant+ dongle in the other end, which is positioned close to business end of the Kickr. This minimizes any Ant+ signal dropouts, which can be a problem with Kickr and Zwift combo. I have a Garmin magnetless cadence sensor attached the the crank. I'm better off taking each of the available applications separately to keep it simple. If Kevin is after just doing an interval workout then he could use the Wahoo App on his phone to control the resistance of the trainer and record his workout. For Trainer Road, he can use his IPad, I haven't used this option though so can't comment on the possible bluetooth dropouts he's experiencing. I don't think he needs anything else to run Trainer Road with the Snap. Anything else, like heart rate monitor, speed, cadence sensors are just extras. A good thing about Trainer Road is that it doesn't need internet connection when using it, so perhaps he can turn off the WiFi on it to see if that is interfering with the Blue Tooth.If it is, then there is suggestions to change the channel on your home router channel 1. As for choosing which workout to do, he would be better off choosing a plan and conducting an FTP test. For Zwift, he will need a PC/Mac, a suitable Ant+/BT dongle, an internet connection and the Snap. If he goes down this route, it may be worth checking whether his pc has enough spec and you have a fast enough internet speed to handle it. I'm currently (as in, infrequently) using Trainer Road and CycleOps Virtual Training. The Cycleops suite has an IPad app that may be of use. I'm not fully sure about the differences between the desktop app I use and the IPad app. I think it has to do with premium routes available to ride and/or heart rate recording. There's a 2 week trial at the moment and I find it's quite well priced comparative to other apps on the market. It offers the ability to ride real life videos where the resistance of the Snap is adjusted with the gradient of the ride. It's quite good. CVT also has similar workouts and workout editor to Trainer Road but doesn't have the plans. I suppose it all depends what Kevin is looking for, what he wants out of the trainer app he's using. How did he use the fluid before? Structured workouts or adhoc? If he's looking for entertainment/social indoor rides then Zwift would be the choice, but that would mean setting up on a PC etc. Although Cycleops does offer the online racing, although I haven't tried this yet. I hoped I covered everything. It can be a bit difficult narrowing down what is needed when there are so manty options with different configurations available. I think he needs to work out how he wants to use it first. Perhaps, seeing as TR and CVT offer free trails/ money back/easy cancellation and he has all the equipment needed to run these apps already, he should try these first to see which he prefers.

Thanks for the info!

Kevin was using the Cycleops "dumb" trainer more or less ad hoc while watching Netflix/Hulu.  I'm not sure that he knows how he wants to use it.  From what he said, at least set up some intervals with power settings (say 60 - 90 minutes on the trainer with some sort of interval setup) but I think that he also wants to at least check out TrainerRoad, etc. 

2015-12-22 3:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Help!  I tried to change my avitar, but BT keeps telling me to upload a jpeg.  I believe my photos are all saved that way.  I even tried to upload my old avi and got the same message.  Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong???  

Does it have .jpg on the end?  I'm not saying that it isn't a jpeg but that if it's from a Mac, sometimes the file extension isn't there and that confuses uploading software.

How large is the file?

I don't know, I'm doing it from my ipad or iphone and don't know how to look at the extensions. But, I've always used my ipad to upload and never had an issue!  

There used to be (and still is, I suppose) a size requirement of less than 40 or 50 KB, I think.  Maybe save a 'smaller' version of the .jpeg and try again.

2015-12-22 3:26 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr In case I don't get back on here in time: Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda Merry Christams and Happy New Year

Thanks, Darren, same to you and your family!

2015-12-22 4:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

I’m finally able to come up for air for a few minutes.  Last week was a conference and this week calls and calls and calls.

Kirsten and Karen - Happy marking…  Or something like that.

Stacey - ouch! I hope that the jellyfish stings are healing up nicely.  Other than that, how was the race?

Melanie - The Widows won! Woo hoo!

Chris - I’m glad that you had an enjoyable getaway.

Laura - You’re a fishy fish! You are faster than me in already!  I learned to swim when I was about 40 and while I feel confident in the water, fast I am not.

Ben - I hope that PT is less painful this week :-/

Robin - I hope that you had the most of your snow day ;-)

Regarding where is winter?  Two or three years ago we had very very mild weather in December and we paid for every degree of December warmth in February. Meanwhile, I’ve been running in shorts and t-shirts.

Lisa - Congratulations on the beginning of weight bearing! PROGRESS!  With any luck at all, the boot will be history by the new year!  Oh, and stationary bike and swim too!  Nice!  With my shoulder injury, I found that spin bikes were easier to get on/off than a trainer but I ended up using the trainer more because I could schedule it more easily.  Plus I really didn’t want to be in class.

Chris - I use Facebook somewhat reluctantly.  Mostly photos and stuff like my tri club.  I really don’t like group discussion in FB because there is just so much cr*p to wade through.  I also use Instagram, Twitter and Strava.

urgh I hate it when I fall this far behind...... ok Janyne - thanks for catching me up to here - 4 pages to go:

FB - Yeah I use it. I get a lot of local news, traffic etc from it during the day. That and I procrastinate at work :p
oh and cute animal pics! I think that's what FB is really for!!

HOLY CRAP Mary - so sorry to hear about your father

Mary - how long have you been out of work? Seems pretty crappy that they are forcing you back by the end of the year or they're pushing you out - can they do that?! However, glad to see you're running again!

Stacey the holidays bring out the best in all drama - right? **rolleyes**

Steve - hang in there! Hope surgery went well and you are back home!

**drumroll please**
for those of you requesting pie/cake or PAKE pictures - here you go!
next time - bigger pie (that's all I could get).
Tasted ok though. I added buttercream frosting the next day for the leftovers = more sugar!

(20151217_194732.jpg)

(IMG_20151222_105424_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20151217_194732.jpg (1196KB - 13 downloads)
IMG_20151222_105424_01.jpg (404KB - 12 downloads)
2015-12-22 10:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Janyne, My current setup for my kickr is my laptop set on a shelf with an HDMI lead attached to a flat screen tv mounted on a wall. I also have a usb extension lead lead running from one of the USB ports on the laptop with an Ant+ dongle in the other end, which is positioned close to business end of the Kickr. This minimizes any Ant+ signal dropouts, which can be a problem with Kickr and Zwift combo. I have a Garmin magnetless cadence sensor attached the the crank. I'm better off taking each of the available applications separately to keep it simple. If Kevin is after just doing an interval workout then he could use the Wahoo App on his phone to control the resistance of the trainer and record his workout. For Trainer Road, he can use his IPad, I haven't used this option though so can't comment on the possible bluetooth dropouts he's experiencing. I don't think he needs anything else to run Trainer Road with the Snap. Anything else, like heart rate monitor, speed, cadence sensors are just extras. A good thing about Trainer Road is that it doesn't need internet connection when using it, so perhaps he can turn off the WiFi on it to see if that is interfering with the Blue Tooth.If it is, then there is suggestions to change the channel on your home router channel 1. As for choosing which workout to do, he would be better off choosing a plan and conducting an FTP test. For Zwift, he will need a PC/Mac, a suitable Ant+/BT dongle, an internet connection and the Snap. If he goes down this route, it may be worth checking whether his pc has enough spec and you have a fast enough internet speed to handle it. I'm currently (as in, infrequently) using Trainer Road and CycleOps Virtual Training. The Cycleops suite has an IPad app that may be of use. I'm not fully sure about the differences between the desktop app I use and the IPad app. I think it has to do with premium routes available to ride and/or heart rate recording. There's a 2 week trial at the moment and I find it's quite well priced comparative to other apps on the market. It offers the ability to ride real life videos where the resistance of the Snap is adjusted with the gradient of the ride. It's quite good. CVT also has similar workouts and workout editor to Trainer Road but doesn't have the plans. I suppose it all depends what Kevin is looking for, what he wants out of the trainer app he's using. How did he use the fluid before? Structured workouts or adhoc? If he's looking for entertainment/social indoor rides then Zwift would be the choice, but that would mean setting up on a PC etc. Although Cycleops does offer the online racing, although I haven't tried this yet. I hoped I covered everything. It can be a bit difficult narrowing down what is needed when there are so manty options with different configurations available. I think he needs to work out how he wants to use it first. Perhaps, seeing as TR and CVT offer free trails/ money back/easy cancellation and he has all the equipment needed to run these apps already, he should try these first to see which he prefers.

Thanks for the info!

Kevin was using the Cycleops "dumb" trainer more or less ad hoc while watching Netflix/Hulu.  I'm not sure that he knows how he wants to use it.  From what he said, at least set up some intervals with power settings (say 60 - 90 minutes on the trainer with some sort of interval setup) but I think that he also wants to at least check out TrainerRoad, etc. 

My current set-up is very complicated:
1. Cycle Ops Fluid 2
2. Frankie the bike
3. Garmin 920 on looped onto my Torpedo holder so I can stare at it
4. towels draped over the aerobars
5. small table holding my water
6. iPhone with metronome going for cadence
7. sometimes a 9 pound Siamese sitting on my aerobars meowing directions at me.

I can't watch TV because it distracts me. If I listen to music I start analyzing the chord progressions. Once in a while I will play Candy Soda Crack on easy spins but that's about it. I prefer to just focus on the set. Seriously, if I watch TV or listen to music my HR will either take a nose dive because I slow down or it will spike because I start pushing too hard.

2015-12-23 6:36 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo

Thanks for the info!

My current set-up is very complicated: 1. Cycle Ops Fluid 2 2. Frankie the bike 3. Garmin 920 on looped onto my Torpedo holder so I can stare at it 4. towels draped over the aerobars 5. small table holding my water 6. iPhone with metronome going for cadence 7. sometimes a 9 pound Siamese sitting on my aerobars meowing directions at me. I can't watch TV because it distracts me. If I listen to music I start analyzing the chord progressions. Once in a while I will play Candy Soda Crack on easy spins but that's about it. I prefer to just focus on the set. Seriously, if I watch TV or listen to music my HR will either take a nose dive because I slow down or it will spike because I start pushing too hard.

Cat intervals!  Love it!

2015-12-23 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
YAY I SURVIVED!!!

I made it through work to the Christmas break, it felt like it was never going to get here. I now have 5 days off! Our office is closed until after new year but K and I will work next week cause we will get so much done while no-one is around.

Today I moved back into "my" office. 3 years ago when my crazy, lazy arrsed boss started I had to change offices because she wanted a bigger desk with a "meeting knob" in it and it wouldn't fit well into the office her predecessor used so I gave up my office for her. Well today I got it back. It was ridiculous how good it felt to be back in my office. I can't believe that it is all down to it being a nicer space (because it isn't that different really) I think a lot of it is my subconscious saying that she is gone. After K and I had moved everything and reset up computers and stuff I just felt lighter even though I still had the same amount of work to do. Amazing really the games our mind can play with us.
2015-12-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Sorry Janyne I am of no help to you at all with your trainer.

I have a Kurtz kinetic road machine and a basic computer but there isn't enough clearance on Andre for the cadence sensor so now I just have rear wheel speed and distance. I don't use any thing trainer road wise but I really should start. Or maybe I should really just stop reading books while I am on the trainer and concentrate on what I'm doing then I might get faster. Ohand I could try riding every now and then rather than just thinking about it
2015-12-23 8:16 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by StaceyK

YAY I SURVIVED!!!

I made it through work to the Christmas break, it felt like it was never going to get here. I now have 5 days off! Our office is closed until after new year but K and I will work next week cause we will get so much done while no-one is around.

Today I moved back into "my" office. 3 years ago when my crazy, lazy arrsed boss started I had to change offices because she wanted a bigger desk with a "meeting knob" in it and it wouldn't fit well into the office her predecessor used so I gave up my office for her. Well today I got it back. It was ridiculous how good it felt to be back in my office. I can't believe that it is all down to it being a nicer space (because it isn't that different really) I think a lot of it is my subconscious saying that she is gone. After K and I had moved everything and reset up computers and stuff I just felt lighter even though I still had the same amount of work to do. Amazing really the games our mind can play with us.

That is awesome Stacey!! What a great way to start the new year being rid of a terrible boss and back in your office!!
2015-12-23 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK YAY I SURVIVED!!! I made it through work to the Christmas break, it felt like it was never going to get here. I now have 5 days off! Our office is closed until after new year but K and I will work next week cause we will get so much done while no-one is around. Today I moved back into "my" office. 3 years ago when my crazy, lazy arrsed boss started I had to change offices because she wanted a bigger desk with a "meeting knob" in it and it wouldn't fit well into the office her predecessor used so I gave up my office for her. Well today I got it back. It was ridiculous how good it felt to be back in my office. I can't believe that it is all down to it being a nicer space (because it isn't that different really) I think a lot of it is my subconscious saying that she is gone. After K and I had moved everything and reset up computers and stuff I just felt lighter even though I still had the same amount of work to do. Amazing really the games our mind can play with us.

Awesome!

I have to ask, did you sing, "Ding dong, the witch is dead?"

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.

2015-12-23 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Sorry Janyne I am of no help to you at all with your trainer. I have a Kurtz kinetic road machine and a basic computer but there isn't enough clearance on Andre for the cadence sensor so now I just have rear wheel speed and distance. I don't use any thing trainer road wise but I really should start. Or maybe I should really just stop reading books while I am on the trainer and concentrate on what I'm doing then I might get faster. Ohand I could try riding every now and then rather than just thinking about it

If only the Thinking About Training thing worked!

2015-12-23 9:21 AM

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK Sorry Janyne I am of no help to you at all with your trainer. I have a Kurtz kinetic road machine and a basic computer but there isn't enough clearance on Andre for the cadence sensor so now I just have rear wheel speed and distance. I don't use any thing trainer road wise but I really should start. Or maybe I should really just stop reading books while I am on the trainer and concentrate on what I'm doing then I might get faster. Ohand I could try riding every now and then rather than just thinking about it

If only the Thinking About Training thing worked!

Hey, the Think Method worked in the Music Man. Just sayin!
2015-12-23 9:32 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Holidays!!!

No racers this week.

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses are in!!!  Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work she goes.
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical.  still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather
Steve - kidney problems related to scar tissue, surgery 12/20

Janyne's birthday is on Friday.

2015-12-23 10:03 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Happy Holidays!!!

No racers this week.

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome, prism glasses are in!!!  Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work she goes.
Lisa - broken ankle on the mend, weight bearing has begun, the boot is on it's way out the door
Ben - clavical.  still in sling prison but released for some activity and can shower without the gear!
Jen - under the weather

Happy holidays to everybody and happy b-day to Janyne!!  Melanie, Mary, TJ, and any others for whom the holidays may be difficult this year, (((((hugs))))).

DLers, keep keep healing.  (((((Hugs))))) to you too.

I'm thinking seriously about quitting my job.  I've been out since early October, so I've exhausted all my leave and federal job protections.  My first day back was okay but I had to leave yesterday after having a 1/2-hour software training.  Watching the motion on my computer made me retch.  Even taking an hour break afterwards didn't help.  I just don't think that I'm going to improve enough by next Wednesday to be able to be back to full-time.  My employer has been great and has offered to give me 3 months severance.  I may also be able to get short-term disability again, which would give me an even bigger financial cushion.  It's not the way I'd like to leave but this might just be the opportunity I need to get into the social work career I left this same job in 2007 to pursue. I've recently made some connections with people who could be great resources for me.  If nothing else, I could take three months to heal my brain and develop those relationships, then go back to working in the legal field as a temp until I can get things more solidified.  What a journey!!

2015-12-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Randee - your pie-cake looks great!  

Stacey - congrats on being back in your new office, being rid of Bad Boss, and being happier

Mary - sorry to hear about your work situation, but here's hoping things work out with getting back into social work.

DLers - please heal up, rest up, and be back at it soon

2015-12-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master

Happy holidays everyone!  Hope you DL'ers are feeling better soon.  I made it through exams and marking, just barely.  Caught a cold in the process, but feeling better now. 

Adrienne, I recommend you get a light therapy device.  It made a huge difference for me.  I have a small one (https://www.litebook.com/litebook-products/litebook-advantage) that I keep on my desk.  I turn it on when I get to the office and it stays on for 60 min.  I rarely get that whole time because I am up and down from my desk, but I have found that 10-15 min is enough.  

In case I don't get online on Friday, Happy Birthday Janyne and Merry Christmas all!

2015-12-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!( to all who celebrate it and a bit early!)

Happy birthday Janyne!! Hope you have a great day!

Keep healing DLers.

2015-12-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas
Whew, thought I lost everybody there for a minute!!

Happy early birthday Janyne!!

Mary - sounds like a good time to make a career move, good luck!

Merry Christmas everyone!
2015-12-23 6:07 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Happy holidays to everyone and a big happy birthday to janyne!!
2015-12-23 6:31 PM

Master
Northern IL

Happy Holidays!!!

No racers this week.

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

You can probably just leave it at the injury for me rather than subjecting people to that though for 3 weeks running now.  Also largely out of the sling.

2015-12-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Hey everyone, THANK YOU so much for your thoughts, support and kind words! I truly appreciate it. I am back to the "normal" life and will definitely read what's going on with you, as I am anxious to know I did some swim and run last Saturday to help me cope with the situation. My swim was weird. See, my dad died in the water. He had drown in Lake Michigan. In a super cold water. I cannot tell you how much reading and research I did on dying in cold water and everything around it. Anyway, while I was swimming laps on Saturday at some point I started to think of how my dad felt, how long he took his breath, how did the water feel. It was very weird and made me feel a bit uncomfortable. But I swam today and it was fine. And I actually enjoyed it. Also, I decided I would dedicate my very first half-marathon to him. Once again, thanks for your support! I'm back to the game Maria

Mary, really hope this and anything else you've found is helping you in dealing with this. One of my brothers was lost in a hiking accident a few years ago. Tried doing some of the same as you are at times, but it mostly just became kind of freaky as he had gone over a cliff. We don't know if it was a stumble, ground gave out, startled him. Don't know if he was hanging or anything. What did help some was thinking back to the time period just after. Out at the park they had a "celebration" in the evening. The idea of that was confusing to me until his boss (this guy is awesome) explained it as being a celebration of his life. Talking about the good memories and realizing ways we could take inspiration from him. Getting out riding my bike and into the woods & mountains began to take on new meaning from there.

2015-12-23 7:04 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Happy, happy, HAPPY Solstice all you northern hemisphere-ers. Goodness, I have been STRUGGLING with the darkness. Lack of motivation, grumpy, not enjoying some of my runs. Ugh, I need a kick in the pants!

Anyway, I am excited for longer days and more daylight. Woop Wooooop!

Every day now it's still fairly dark at 7. Today was especially so, and for some time after, as there was a pretty heavy fog in the area.

2015-12-23 7:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Trainer question.  Kevin had and old Cyclops Fluid 2 and it was starting to leak, etc.  He wanted a new trainer and decided on a Kickr Snap.  I am not up on all of the smart trainer stuff (nor is he) so could use some pointers.  What kind of setup are you Trainer Road/Zwift types using?  If you want to just do a 75 minute ride with intervals, are you using a canned workout in Trainer Road or something else?  Are you using a iPad or phone or something else with your setup?  Mounting your viewing device how?

Also, the Garmin speed/cadence sensor is working fine on Kevin's Fenix3 watch but seems to drop out on the Wahoo phone app. So I'm assuiming that the Garmin sensor to Garmin watch is fine because it's 100% ANT+ but something with the Bluetooth to the phone.  Does the Kickr get the cadence from the ANT+ and then rebroadcast it as Bluetooth? 

ETA: I pinged Darren, Sean and MR Matt about this.  I think the Ben is following along so he may have something to add as well.

Saw this, but not sure I have much of anything to add over what's been said. TR should work with most anything. Could make workouts manually or find something to follow in their library. You can change the IF of the rides too, though do know that last time I saw (over a year ago) it just scaled everything. I had hooked up my laptop to the TV and used that. Probably would have gone the music stand route with an iPad. Or maybe stood the thing up on another TV tray (I have one next to me anyway).

Currently not sure what the Kickr does for signal logic.

2015-12-24 6:19 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
OMG WE'VE BEEN ARCHIVED!!

(they could at least give some notice! )
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 53959 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66395 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27867 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11795 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66166 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.