General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Helmet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-12 10:35 AM

Subject: New Helmet?
As I'm a true beginner Tri-athlete, I had competed in my first Tri with a mountain bike and my mountain bike helmet. It does its suited purpose, but now looking for more of a road / racing helmet. Especially because I now have an updated road bike.

I cam across the Bontrager Balista helmet that has had really awesome reviews and thinking that might be the best for ventilation and aerodynamics, but also considering other options like the Rudy Project Wingspan57

I've heard that an ultra aero helmet will typically only gain you about 1 minute over 40km but be very hot / uncomfortable, so at my level comfort would outweigh aero, but obviously I want safety, comfort, aero. Probably in that order although for Tri's Aero would be higher on the list and most helmets have to meet minimum safety standards.

Suggestions on other helmets? I think Giro makes some nice ones as well, but recent reviews were hit and miss.

helmets with sun guards or not? I like the idea of having my own sun glasses vs a shield..

2015-10-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: New Helmet?
I just bought a Giro Advantage 2... It's generally regarded as the best all-arounder as far as price, ventilation, and aero performance on most body and head shapes. For a beginner or anyone on a road bike I'd say go for an Aero Road helmet. Most companies make them now and are a decent compromise between aero and ventilation. Everyone has their own opinion and there are even conflicting wind tunnel tests for the aero road helmets, so I'd say just go with the best deal and the one that fits the best.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Helmet? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone tried the new Specialized Evade helmets?

Started by Mike_D
Views: 1747 Posts: 4

2013-09-19 10:56 AM cxk9758

time for a new helmet

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 902 Posts: 5

2012-08-30 7:55 PM arcee52

Older Aero helmet or buy a new one...

Started by PeteDin206
Views: 1641 Posts: 6

2012-05-21 3:06 PM PeteDin206

New High Tech Helmet Covers

Started by H13
Views: 922 Posts: 17

2005-08-18 3:25 PM the bear

I GET A NEW HELMET!

Started by swbkrun
Views: 774 Posts: 8

2005-07-25 5:58 PM swbkrun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.