General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Travel Case for Air Travel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-13 12:51 PM

Subject: Bike Travel Case for Air Travel
Hi,

I am reaching out to the awesome community and experienced folks to get some input and help figure out a bike travel case.

I am relocating to a different state, and my entire move is handled by my company. So basically I am not paying for anything.
However, what worries me is my Tri bike and road bike.
The movers told me that they will take care of moving it as well, and they have experience with it. However, I am not sure how well they will take care of it, because they are looking at packing all the household furtniture and stuff in one day.

So I was either thinking of
1) Buying a EVOC or SCION travel bag, and check in as extra luggage into SouthWest airlines. - Airlines fees will be reimbursed to me, and I only pay for the travel bag. I will let the road bike be carried by the packing/moving company. Cost wise ~$400 something.

2) Buying a bike travel bag and use bikeFlights.com to ship the bike. Heard good reviews about them. Cost wise ~$460 / $470

3) Let the packers and movers ship the bike with all the household stuff. If anything happens I have been told that insurance will take care of it.

Buying a travel case is an investment anyways, because I do have two races next year where I have to air-travel.

Question to you-
Help me decide, give me ideas. Also does anyone know if the relocation companies move stuff by air or by road ?

2015-10-13 4:33 PM
in reply to: sikhstride

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Bike Travel Case for Air Travel

If the company is footing the bill, if it were me I'd buy a nice hard case for my tri bike.  It would be a toss up to me to just fly with it or have it shipped.  Probably just have it shipped as carting it through the airport and then having a vehicle on both ends that it will fit in could be an issue.

My uncle worked for a large moving company and everything they did was via truck.  Good luck and hope you are moving to greener pastures.

2015-10-13 9:55 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Thanks @Pro.
Yes I am moving to greener pastures. CA to WA.
2015-10-15 11:15 AM
in reply to: sikhstride

Master
, California

bikeflights.com is pretty cheap if you use ground shipping (not sure if you can add extra insurance -- ask them).

If you have a higher end bike and you're planning to travel more, then yeah, investing in a travel case is probably the better option.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Travel Case for Air Travel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bike travel case

Started by jellyfish74
Views: 489 Posts: 1

2008-06-08 6:42 PM jellyfish74

Bike Travel Case reviews

Started by brian
Views: 972 Posts: 4

2007-02-25 2:05 AM bobbyburbank

Bike Travel Case

Started by trying2tri1906
Views: 662 Posts: 2

2007-02-16 8:23 AM the bear

Travel bike cases

Started by Minkota
Views: 778 Posts: 4

2006-11-28 6:15 PM the bear

bike travel case

Started by snikpos
Views: 880 Posts: 1

2004-11-29 9:45 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Traveling as an athlete is better than traveling as a tourist or on business or even just wandering around with a backpack and a holey sleeping bag. An athlete is given wide birth.

date : July 16, 2012
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Homestays vs hotels, eating and flying with your bike.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 6, 2008
author : Coach AJ
We review both the Sci'Con Atlas and the Aerotech Evolution bike cases for traveling with your bike.
date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.