Chicago Marathon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4AM, body glided everything, made coffee and a peanut butter sandwich for the road. Ate that while on the train/in the charity tent, also had a banana and a gatorade. Ate 2 shot blocks in the corral just before the start.
Event warmup:

After walking over to the corral area, used the porta potties and then stretched in the grass before getting into the corral. Did some kneeling hip flexor stretches, some yoga stuff, nothing major. Really regretted not siting down all morning, my feet were already sore from standing around for over 2 hours when the race finally did start.
Run
  • 6h 50m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Preparing for a hot day I drank way too much pre-race. Peed twice at charity tent, once before getting into the corrals, once just before crossing the start line and again at mile 6 (I KNOW). In all fairness it's really hard to regulate drinking when you're up literally 4.5 hours before the race. Normally I am up and on a run within 1.5 hours of waking up so this was just awkward for me.

I wanted to hit 6.5 hours for this race but based on the last long runs I didn't think that was a reasonable expectation. More importantly though was that I wanted to keep an even pace throughout simply because on most runs I am fine the first 3/4 and just miserable the last couple of miles. I stuck to a 5:2 run walk interval until mile 10 or so and then switched to a 4:1 and then to a 3:1 shortly thereafter. 3:1 was really good for the hotter parts of the course, and 4:1 was good for the last 3 miles when I had a better idea of how much I could burn.

I was really pleased with how I was able to stick with the intervals I set for myself. There were only a few moments where I was doubting my ability to finish but I'm pretty sure that's completely normal for a marathon, and they were mostly during the beginning of the race. I felt settled and strong around the halfway mark, like I finally realized I was actually going to make it barring any kind of catastrophic interference. I never needed to walk more than a few minutes, and after the halfway point I was almost the only person still trying to run at all- most people seemed to just be walking. This was actually both motivating and annoying- it felt good to actually be able to pass people, but then it became a struggle to get through the sea of walkers especially when the course officials started allowing clean up vehicles on ones side of the course.

I was met by my boyfriend at mile 20 or so which was nice, gave me something to look forward to (and he gave me a mini ice cream snickers!) I was feeling so good about the race that I only walked with him for about 2 minutes before taking off again. There was one point before that where I felt a little queasy because of the heat (and the possibility of needing a poo break) but I overcame it. The last few miles seemed to drag on because there wasn't a good sense of how much further we had to go (mile marker signs had been removed) and so many people just kept saying "just 3 miles! just a mile! just a mile!" I really had no clue until I was able to get my bearings. I was able to run up Mount Roosevelt and got to see my boyfriend again right at the finisher chute which was great! So excited to have an even race and a strong finish.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try pacing a little slower in the beginning to get closer to even 15 minute pace. I couldn't believe that I wasn't falling to pieces at the end of the race and it's probably because I kept myself slow at the beginning (14 min mile instead of my usual 12-13 min mile). Definitely try to sit down as much as possible before the start and not drink as much!
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered out of the chute, grabbed the food and medal, then hobbled over to Michigan Ave to meet my boyfriend (who had Ben & Jerry's for me, yay!). I dropped my stuff at FFC South Loop this year instead of Charity Village so that eliminated a lot of unnecessary walking. Had a light massage at the gym and put some ice on my feet for a bit. Did the ice bucket when I got home, showered, put on fresh compression socks and then went for a walk to the bar for a celebratory cocktail at around 7. Stopped for a slice of pizza on the way home from there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lingering issues- not so much injuries but just not feeling 100%. Not sure if it was my feet or my shoes but I didn't feel awesome starting the race- like my feet were already sore. Maybe all that standing? I was also having pain on my right big toe again, it was burning a ton- not a blister, just a big angry callous. Whatever is going on with my ankles is annoying too- I think it's a peroneal tendon problem. Recovery on Tuesday is almost 80% for everything except my left ankle which is swollen around the malleoulus, probably tendonitis or a sprain. Not as much right knee pain as I was expecting- I did get taped on Friday so maybe that helped a bit? Need to get custom orthotics.

Event comments:

Overall a very well run race. However, being in the second wave, I was disappointed that the pace truck was passing me not even halfway through the race. I didn't start in the back of my corral (the last one) and I was definitely under a 15 min mile during the first 8-10 miles so it seemed like the pace vehicles were ahead of schedule. This was only a problem when they started crowding the course when there were still lots of runners out. I never got pushed onto the sidewalk like last time, but aid stations were getting shut down right as I was getting to them which made getting fluids a little harder later in the race- and it made me worry that eventually there might not be water on the course so I kept stopping to fill my handheld bottle. I asked other runners if they thought the pace car was too fast and they confirmed what I thought, so I don't know. I get that things have to get shut down and opened up but when there are that many runners out, adhering to the policy they set up (6.5 hour pace AFTER the last person starts) is important especially on a hot day.

Last updated: 2015-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
06:50:00 | 26.2 miles | 15m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Split Time Of Day Time Diff min/mile miles/h 05K 09:19:40AM 00:44:15 44:15 14:15 4.21 10K 10:05:09AM 01:29:44 45:29 14:39 4.10 15K 10:49:34AM 02:14:09 44:25 14:18 4.20 20K 11:36:51AM 03:01:26 47:17 15:13 3.94 HALF 11:47:42AM 03:12:17 10:51 15:55 3.77 25K 12:27:48PM 03:52:23 40:06 16:32 3.63 30K 01:18:24PM 04:43:00 50:37 16:18 3.68 35K 02:09:51PM 05:34:26 51:26 16:34 3.62 40K 03:02:49PM 06:27:24 52:58 17:03 3.52 Finish * 03:24:05PM 06:48:40 21:16 15:35 3.85
Course: Flat city streets through the city. 8 miles north, then back south into downtown, then west, then jogging back east and finally south and then north back to the start area. I did trip on some uneven surface during the first few miles and almost face planted. Very little shade during some stretches especially towards the last third of the race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-13 6:50 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Subject: Chicago Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chicago Marathon

Started by roboppor
Views: 2074 Posts: 1

2005-08-03 11:15 PM roboppor

chicago marathon

Started by velasqu7
Views: 1181 Posts: 1

2004-12-08 10:01 PM velasqu7

Chicago Marathon

Started by Steve-
Views: 2071 Posts: 3

2004-10-29 10:52 AM Steve-

LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon

Started by the bear
Views: 1707 Posts: 18

2004-10-14 12:22 PM the bear

Chicago Marathon!!!

Started by charles81
Views: 1330 Posts: 6

2004-10-13 9:04 AM jeanneroth
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"