General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for overly long legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-16 4:58 AM

Subject: Tri bike for overly long legs
Hi there,

I'm considering buying a new tri bike. Challenge is: my body proportions are somewhat out of the normal range:

Height 1.91 m
Weight 83 kg
Inseam 96.5 cm
Torso 61.5 cm
Foot 44.5 left/right
Shoulder 44cm
Arm 68.5 cm left/right

This means: my legs are longer than they should be (normal inseam would be approx. 90cm for my height, or the other way round: I should be about 2.02m tall with this inseam length).

From what I understand, this means that a couple of tri bikes won't fit me well. Do you have any recommendations on which model to go for, or what to look at?

Thanks!

2015-10-21 9:18 PM
in reply to: summon

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Tri bike for overly long legs
I would be scared to death to ride a road or Tri bike with feet that long. The feet overlap the front wheel so much that you could clip the front wheel while pedaling through a turn, or even a sudden swerve to miss a hazard. A cyclocross frame would be safer.
2015-11-09 6:06 PM

Yikes, you're not kidding. 96.5cm inseam at 1.91m height is remarkable for sure.

The more important metric is the fact that your torso is short since this is going to play a much greater role in how you fit your bike -- especially a tri-specific one I say that because sometimes very long-legged and short torso-ed people can fit a road bike that is sized off their height because their arms are so long, but on a tri bike we lose some of this leeway because our first upper body contact point to the bike is our elbow rather than our hands.

Another big factor is going to be your flexibility and and functional strength -- if you don't fancy yourself a very nimble individual you are going to have to make further considerations to your bike choice.

The quick and dirty guideline -- you're going to have to size down to a shorter effective top tube (or REACH measurement if you prefer that) to accommodate your short torso, but be wary that as the TT gets shorter, so too does the head tube. Shorter head tube means lower aerobar height -- goes back to that consideration of your flexibility again.

I would say, don't be afraid to look at bikes that are considered "small" for you. I guarantee that if you walk into most bike shops their going to want to put you on their largest TT bike.

Given your size I might steer away from bikes with bayonet-style front ends (integrated fork and head tube) as they tend to be less adjustable and rely on proprietary components that may only come in a few sizes.

Last bit of advice: don't (EVER) go by "Small", "Medium", or "Large". Always go by the numbers (effective top tube, head tube length, stack and reach are usually the most relevant) to compare bikes, even when from the same manufacturer.

Good luck.
2015-11-27 6:21 PM
in reply to: endurancenerd

John, I read your post. I am currently looking to build a tri bike. I have a road bike that is 56 cm. I looked at the height, leg calculator in different bike websites and it puts me at 58 cm. I went to a bike shop and they suggest I go smaller on the TT bike than what I am used to. They even said 54. Is this true? I also have long legs and arms, but not to that extent. Thanks.

Jesus
2015-11-28 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
First look at bikes with a high stack dimension. I am 188.4 cm tall with a 86.4 cm inseam so not nearly as long-legged as you but at the time I had my fit done only 3 bikes would fit me. Felt B12/14 series, Specialized SHIV and Cervelo P3's will all have a pretty high stack dimension so I would start with those. Almost all other brands will probably be too short in stack.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike for overly long legs Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Long Term Value

Started by ckiepura
Views: 1651 Posts: 4

2015-05-27 11:15 AM morey000

Bike for long legs & short torso?

Started by KeriKadi
Views: 5458 Posts: 6

2010-03-07 9:59 PM AndrewMT

Triathlon bike for women (with short back and long legs)

Started by Immeken
Views: 1250 Posts: 7

2009-03-26 2:28 PM erin_trail

Zoot Long Tri Top Womens..How long?

Started by bboston88
Views: 1150 Posts: 7

2008-05-17 7:06 PM bboston88

What makes a tri bike a tri bike?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1131 Posts: 5

2005-01-13 12:47 PM cobannero
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.