General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to Start the Training program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-16 10:30 AM

User image

Subject: Training to Start the Training program
Hello All,

My plan is to complete the Ironman Mont Tremblant Aug 21 2016. (Ya I know I am starting to worry about training for this 44 weeks in advance lol.... scared...) The plan is to use one of the Free BT Full IM plans, it states that you should be at roughly 8-10hours a week of training at the start.

My plan right now will be to have

2 run days ( one 1hour steady run, and one day that is with a tri group some steady work, fartlek, running drills etc, that is 2 hours long)

2 bike days ( one 1-1.5hour bike session on the trainer, Maybe a Sufferfest workout, and then the other is a 2 hour tri group spin session)

2 swim days (both 1 hour each, under instruction from a swim coach)

that bring the total up to 8 hours a week, then any other sports ie beer league hockey.

Would that be good, or should I start the program a month early and just complete the first month twice?

Thoughts???

Thanks,

2015-10-24 5:14 AM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Training to Start the Training program
I have completed a 1/2 Ironman each year since 2012 (4 Total) and followed a similar 2 Swim / 2 Bike / 2 Run during the off season. One thing I did differently this last year that made a huge difference was incorporate arms / abs workouts every week. I believe it improved my recoveries and drop my time significantly. As a fun incentive, I have mixed in various running races with my daughter - 8K, 1/2 Marathon, 9K but nothing serious.
2015-11-03 7:49 AM
in reply to: Murph333

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Training to Start the Training program

Originally posted by Murph333  My plan right now will be to have 2 run days ( one 1hour steady run, and one day that is with a tri group some steady work, fartlek, running drills etc, that is 2 hours long

I would suggest going with 3 run days instead of 2.  Having 1 of your 2 run days being 2 hours is too much for your preparation phase.  You'd be much better off with 3 runs/week with one day being a key intensity run, one being a key endurance run, and the other a shorter supplemental run at low intensity.  Start off with lower intensity to begin with for the key intensity run and slowly build up the intensity over many weeks.  Building leg durability and run volume through frequency rather than fewer, longer runs is going to set you up much better for starting your IM program.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training to Start the Training program Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

12 Month Ironman Training Program/ IM Train Prgrm Questions

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 14169 Posts: 24

2009-07-17 12:01 PM magic

Training, Training Logs, Coaches, Over Training

Started by rmullen1
Views: 2609 Posts: 20

2008-02-04 12:56 PM infosteward

Free IM training programs ? Pages: 1 2

Started by kenaxford
Views: 3265 Posts: 27

2006-10-16 6:42 PM jellyfish74

Near term addition of HIM to training program

Started by bestbets
Views: 989 Posts: 4

2006-06-16 2:33 PM bestbets

1/2 IM Training Program

Started by J-McG
Views: 1753 Posts: 11

2005-02-08 8:38 AM J-McG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.

date : February 16, 2009
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. For month two, we are increasing the intensity and duration of the workouts.
date : January 18, 2009
comments : 2
Start getting fit and losing weight in the New Year with our beginner cycling program. This program can get you fit and ready to then start any of our sprint or olympic triathlon training programs.

date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 30, 2004
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.