General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting in SE Michigan. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-17 2:23 PM

Subject: Bike fitting in SE Michigan.
There seems to be 2 places that offer bike fitting in the Detroit area. I just finished building up two bikes...a tri bike and a road bike, and want to have at least the tri bike professionally fitted, since I've heard it can make such a huge difference in speed/comfort/etc.

The Bike and Tri Shop on the West side, which is a bit farther from me, charges $150.
http://www.thetrishop.com/bike_fitting

Frasier Bicycle is quite a bit closer, but charges $250.
http://www.thetrishop.com/bike_fitting

Does anyone have any experience with either, or both, of these shops? All else equal, I'd rather save the $100, but over the life of the bikes, it's probably trivial, so if Frasier is strongly recommended, they are a lot closer.

Also, would I typically have to do two full fittings, or is it reasonable to ask for some kind of discount to have two bikes done? Also, would it be better to have one bike fitted, and simply transfer the measurements to the second bike myself, as far as seat position, height, stem and handlebars, etc?

And simply because I'm excited about them, here's a picture of "N-1" and "N," lol.

2015-10-17 8:31 PM
in reply to: #5147379

Subject: RE: Bike fitting in SE Michigan.
I have had fittings at both, trip shop 2 years ago and Frasier 5 years ago. I know there is a different fitter at Frasier now. Tri shop used more computer based fit to look at hip, knee and other angles. There is also a fitter out of Ann Arbor, Jessica Burtas, I got a fit from her this spring. If don't have injury problems then any of them would work. If you have been injuried then I might skip the tri shop, they didn't seem to take into account my range of motion, but I wasn't injuries when I saw them. I think frasier and Jessica use the same fitting system FIST, not sure if tri shop uses that.
2015-10-18 5:08 PM
in reply to: dpd3672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
There is also American Cycle and Fitness and KLM Bikes on Woodward in the Royal Oak area. I went to KLM for my fitting and they were fine.

I do go to the Bike and Tri Shop to pick up tubes and Gus and things since they are by my office. They are very friendly and knowledgable.
2015-10-18 5:23 PM
in reply to: #5147400

User image

Last year the Tri Shop did fittings half off in December (I did one then). It made a world of difference. Totally worth it.
2015-10-19 12:43 PM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
I just bought a tri bike in September from the Tri shop in Livonia and got a free fitting. Tom Dermerly did my fitting and so far its a perfect fit. Not sure what system they use though.
2015-10-20 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Highland, Michigan
Check out FITMI in Ann Arbor. Jess used to fit bikes at Two Wheel Tango before they closed. I've had her fit a few bikes for me and I highly recommend her.

https://www.facebook.com/bikefitmi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fitting in SE Michigan. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Any newbies in SE Michigan

Started by sunrise
Views: 1100 Posts: 14

2009-02-14 12:35 PM ericcooper

SE Michigan race in April/May??

Started by kresjuu2
Views: 1410 Posts: 8

2008-01-31 8:18 AM kresjuu2

Any XC Skiers in SE Michigan ???

Started by rottieguy
Views: 858 Posts: 7

2007-12-03 9:39 PM rkreuser

BT Groups SE Michigan

Started by gsimony
Views: 1342 Posts: 13

2007-01-19 12:36 AM expensivehobby22

SE Michigan Ride - Sat, 7/30 Pages: 1 2 3

Started by rkreuser
Views: 4179 Posts: 72

2005-08-01 8:12 AM Criostoir
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : February 12, 2007
author : Rich Strauss
Pay attention to details! Little things like body composition, bike fit, powermeter use and swim technique become big on the Varsity Team