General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Dover, DE checking in. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-19 3:20 PM

Subject: Dover, DE checking in.
Hello, my name is Katelyn and I'm relatively new to this. I've done a few sprint triathlons and have always loved them. I'm more of a runner than anything and have also done a couple half marathons, but I'm looking to really push myself toward something greater. I'm about 30 lbs overweight at the moment and am in the middle of my weight loss (almost 20 down at this point). I'm in better shape now than I've ever been, despite having been about 10 lbs lighter than I am currently about 1.5 years ago. As of right now my exercise plan involves the obvious swim/bike/run with weights thrown in. I find lunges and squats have greatly improved my endurance and speed.

I signed up for Eagleman (MD 70.3 Ironman) in 2016. I've got a training plan, I'm very motivated and although my 30 week "plan" doesn't start for about a month, I've been working pretty hard to increase my fitness level and to lose weight. The bike is me weakest link, and I'm in the market for a TT bike soon. My previous triathlons and duathlons were all done on a mountain bike. Needless to say, it was discouraging how much that slowed me down. I have never ridden any other type of bike and I have a lot to learn. I love to run and swim (although my swim technique leaves much to be desired). I've been a runner for quite some time (on and off since high school, I'm 30 years old now) and I've received some swim training through my career (first responder, but the academy was years ago).

I'm signing up for a Masters swim class (begins in November) to help with my swim technique. I would love some local support with cycling. I've got a long way to go to be up to speed on the bike. I'm fine with the run, I know that as my fitness improves I will not have trouble finishing 13.1 miles. The two half marathons I have completed in the past were after little to no training. I'm pretty good at mentally pushing myself through obstacles. Of course, I am well aware that such a haphazard approach won't work for an IM, and I'm excited to see how much improvement I'll have with 7+ months of training. 13.1 miles after swimming and biking for that long will be an exciting challenge.

My last event was just this past weekend. I did the Tough Mudder near Philly, PA. It was 10+ miles with obstacles and it was a blast. I'm looking forward to signing up for more events in the coming months. If my schedule permits, I would like to do another half marathon and my first marathon before the Eagleman. I would also love to do any duathlons and triathlons that would help me prepare.

If anyone is in the DE area and knows of any local groups, please contact me! I've heard of a few and I'm trying to find out more. When I purchase my bike I'll really be able to step it up and I would love to join a group that cycles locally. So far I've been doing all my biking at the YMCA.

Thanks!

2015-10-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: Lia Cross

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Dover, DE checking in.

Katelyn,

Welcome!  congrats on the weightloss...that is some good work.  As you ramp up training, be careful not to leave yourself too short on calories which will lead to fatigue and burnout.  You should find that you will continue making improvement without needing to be on a strict diet.  HIM training will burn the rest off.

Check the Delaware forum for any other groups in your area.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Dover, DE checking in. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FoggyGoggles Checking in (and checking it out!)

Started by FoggyGoggles
Views: 781 Posts: 3

2011-01-01 11:05 AM CoachH

Rhode Island Checking in.....

Started by triguy2004
Views: 806 Posts: 5

2005-06-08 1:52 PM triguy2004

Check in from SoCal

Started by steve66
Views: 1761 Posts: 14

2004-02-18 2:24 PM JustTriIt

Checking in

Started by TriClyde
Views: 1052 Posts: 10

2004-02-01 3:26 PM gr8brindle

Another fat boy checks in

Started by mikenhe
Views: 1521 Posts: 25

2004-01-16 9:53 PM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 2 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the De Soto Black Pearl Bibjohn & Pullover combination for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.