rmec.com
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 22s
Overall Rank = 5/218
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up. Had peanut butter and honey on whole wheat, and a cup of coffee. Helped setup the field aid station for the marathon (same thing we've done the last 4 years at Medoc). With 15 minutes before the race (8:15), I ate a gel, took off my jeans and coat, put on my Brooks Pure Grit 4s, and moseyed over to the start line.
Event warmup:

None. At all.
Run
  • 1h 13m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out steady. I was in 12th overall as we exited the park. I pulled up to 10th before the turnaround on the park road. I was sixth going into the woods. I gained on three guys, and three of us passed the fourth. The other two guys I was with ended up going 3rd and 4th overall, though they swapped positions within the last 0.5 mile. I was content where I was.
What would you do differently?:

This was about all I had in me I think. Maybe could've challenged 4th place a little more.

Happy to take an "overall" podium spot, not just age group. 1st place Masters is OK with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered over to the field aid station from start/finish, and helped volunteer over there with my parents and the Hortons for 45 minutes. Rode my bike back over to start/finish for awards. Then back over to field aid for an hour. Then worked the finish line for 2 hours. (Somewhere in there the race director asked if I could run the course backwards and find a lost little girl, the daughter of another volunteer). Did so, so I guess that counts as a warm-down :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore hips, eyesight.

Event comments:

I love Medoc. It is an awesomely fun day. It's also the one marathon I want to go back to and punish. My first time there was well over 4 hours. I think I have a 3:30 in me there and will try to find it in 2017.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-10-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:13:22 | 10 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/31
Overall: 5/218
Performance: Good
Course: First 1.5miles on the road, then into the woods we went. Love this course. First hillclimb comes at about 2.5 miles or so, and goes on for a few minutes. Second hillclimb is long, gradual, and butt-kicking. I had 2 goals (well, 3); don't fall, don't walk, and beat 2013's time. I met them all (except the don't walk, when I had to walk up the 25 steps behind 4th place...couldn't pass there).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-19 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Medoc Trail Marathon and 10 miler

Started by fgump
Views: 1055 Posts: 2

2013-10-21 3:27 PM louiskie

Medoc Trail Marathon

Started by fgump
Views: 1469 Posts: 2

2011-10-16 8:28 PM louiskie

American Tobacco Trail 10 Miler

Started by fgump
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2009-10-24 2:01 PM fgump

American Tobacco Trail 10 Miler

Started by fgump
Views: 1357 Posts: 2

2008-10-25 12:17 PM kapinto

American Tobacco Trail 10 miler

Started by Havin'Fun
Views: 958 Posts: 1

2008-04-14 12:48 PM Havin'Fun
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : October 24, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
Discussions on keeping heart-rate down on hills, the fat burning zone, lactate threshold (LT) testing, max trainer hours, high HR on the run/walk, the 10% rule and different running workouts.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.