General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sidewall blowout flats on full carbon clinchers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-19 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Sidewall blowout flats on full carbon clinchers
I imagine there are quite a few people here who are using full carbon clinchers. I bought a Williams 60mm several years ago for my front but shelved it due to it being to flexy and creating brake rub when climbing. I put it back in service on my wifes bike, Cervelo S5 Di2, along with a 60mm Chinese knockoff on the rear. I didn't think she would have any issues since she is 50kgs on a 51 frame. We do a lot of climbing and descending. She has had multiple sidewall blowouts. She is using carbon pads. Is this a problem related to heat buildup? Are other people having the same issues?

I recently received a e-mail from the Hincapie Gran Fondo this weekend and full carbon clinchers are banned. I researched this on other sites and saw they were banned in the Levi Gran Fondo also.

FWIW she rode full carbon Zipp tubulars for years and never had a flat.

2015-10-20 12:12 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Sidewall blowout flats on full carbon clinchers
Unless she is doing long sustained braking, no, there would not be heat buildup.
More likely the pad is rubbing the tire directly, either bad setup or if the wheel is flexing into it.
2015-10-25 12:00 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Master
She does do extended braking and does favor the rear. The brake pads have been professionally set up and inspected. The pads do not rub the 23mm tire nor does the tire come close to the frame. It is highly doubtful that her 50kg weight causes that much flex. In spite of the ban, many riders at the Fondo still used full carbon clinchers that led to several wrecks and quite a few tire and wheel failures. One of the SAG mechanics commented that it was usually the low end wheels that seemed to have the most issues. Apparently none of the failures were on the high end carbon clinchers and Zipp was pretty well represented.

Mostly this is a PSA
2015-10-25 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Here's a link to a great article Lennard Zinn put together to recap issues that some of the pro teams had at the Tour of Oman this last winter. Lots of blow-outs on a neutralized descent.......apparently with both tubulars and clinchers. Keep in mind that when this happened ambient temps were well above 100-F, and they were descending at way over 50 mph....pretty extreme conditions from a heat standpoint. He goes over typical heat related failure modes for both types of wheels towards the end of the article.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq...

When you use the term "side wall blow-out", do you mean of the tire itself and not the tube? I guess this is possible (from temps), but my understanding is that the "weak link" from a temperature standpoint for clinchers is typically the tube, not the tire.

Edited by g_shotts 2015-10-25 4:26 PM
2015-10-25 5:03 PM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

the tire will not melt from heat.  Glued tires can have the glue melt, and tubes could melt a bit resulting in a blown tube.  I'd check installation.

what do you mean by blow out, and what kind of tires?

2015-10-25 5:14 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
What I have seen in the 2 tires (the second almost brand new) is a dimple on the sidewall like a blister. Both were Continental 4000. I didn't think much about the first and thought it was road damage but the second was odd. It happened immediately after a 3 mile descent.

2015-10-26 7:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by pschriver

What I have seen in the 2 tires (the second almost brand new) is a dimple on the sidewall like a blister. Both were Continental 4000. I didn't think much about the first and thought it was road damage but the second was odd. It happened immediately after a 3 mile descent.

I have heard the sidewall blowing out on Conti's and other tires that turn out to be a manufacturing defect. Also how old were they? How long did the store sit on them? Were they stored in a hot attic? Sat near a window with the sun on them all the time? Were the tires bought at the same time? All of these increase the possibility of failure. Buy some new tires and try again, if everything is good contact Continental and ask for some replacement tires.
2015-10-26 12:14 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Both of the flats were on the same wheel. Rear. The first tire was bought about 5 months ago but wasn't ridden much until recently. The second tire lasted less then a month. I have no idea how long they sat on the shelves prior to purchase. The bikes are stored in a climate controlled basement away from the sun. (Adjacent to the wine cellar) I actually swapped the wheels out for Cosmic Carbones and put on Gatorskins.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing Conti tires. I have used them for years and have been happy. I am a little skeptical about carbon braking surfaces. I might send the tires back to Continental if they want to look at them and give an expert opinion but for now, the carbon wheels are going back on the wheel wall.
2015-10-26 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

what tire pressure are you running

2015-10-26 5:29 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sidewall blowout flats on full carbon clinchers Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wheels: Full carbon vs carbon/aluminum

Started by Porfirio
Views: 3057 Posts: 22

2014-09-17 11:53 AM Donto

carbon clinchers - ruined when you flat?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 2294 Posts: 11

2012-09-04 10:58 PM Redspringer

STRADALLI CARBON WHEEL CLINCHER

Started by zef
Views: 3828 Posts: 4

2011-07-27 10:54 AM zef

2010 REYNOLDS Carbon ATTACK Clinchers Wheels

Started by TrevorC
Views: 6939 Posts: 7

2011-02-11 2:40 AM DanielG

RECALL on Shimano Dura Ace Carbon Clincher Wheels for Bicycles

Started by Fechter99
Views: 801 Posts: 1

2008-10-23 6:46 PM Fechter99
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : November 23, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 1
Should you make the switch from your current aluminum framed bike to a carbon bike frame?
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.