General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who invented target heart rate anyway? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-20 2:14 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Who invented target heart rate anyway?
I'm in my mid 30s and haven't really paid much attention to my HR but while getting over a respiratory infection I was surprised to see it go over 190. Of course it didn't feel good so I slowed down with a careful eye. What I noticed is my target heart rate feels painfully boring and slow. I remember in my 20's I could hold THR and it felt good but now in my mid 30s it feels far too gentle. I can even hold it with my mouth closed and just breathe in and out through my nose. It's not until I go >85% of MHR that it feels like I start getting somewhere. Anyone else notice this? Is spending most your time above THR really that risky? Where did this formula even come from?

2015-10-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Who invented target heart rate anyway?

Originally posted by runtim23 I'm in my mid 30s and haven't really paid much attention to my HR but while getting over a respiratory infection I was surprised to see it go over 190. Of course it didn't feel good so I slowed down with a careful eye. What I noticed is my target heart rate feels painfully boring and slow. I remember in my 20's I could hold THR and it felt good but now in my mid 30s it feels far too gentle. I can even hold it with my mouth closed and just breathe in and out through my nose. It's not until I go >85% of MHR that it feels like I start getting somewhere. Anyone else notice this? Is spending most your time above THR really that risky? Where did this formula even come from?

What formula are you referring to?  Anything that isn't based on some sort of testing has a pretty good chance of being less than optimum.

2015-10-20 3:03 PM
in reply to: 0

Sarasota, Florida
I've always used 220-age then 65-85% of that.
Something similar is described at heart.org
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Fitne...

I would think I'd be more efficient since my resting is usually 60-65 bpm but 155 bpm will only get me 6 mph with small hills. This is ridiculously slow compared to my 9-10 mph I used to do in my 20s at 170 bpm. Granted I am getting over sickness and fell off my schedule due to work and the cold but I believe the point is still valid.

Edited by runtim23 2015-10-20 3:19 PM
2015-10-20 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Instead of using that, determine training zones by doing some field testing.  Here's a good explanation of how to do it:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&page=1#

If you're new to endurance sports, I recommend first training for 1-2 months using RPE (rating of perceived exertion) while wearing your HR monitor to learn what your HR is at different RPE's and to establish enough fitness for the tests to provide useful data.

2015-10-20 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by runtim23 I've always used 220-age then 65-85% of that. Something similar is described at heart.org http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Fitne... I would think I'd be more efficient since my resting is usually 60-65 bpm but 155 bpm will only get me 6 mph with small hills. This is ridiculously slow compared to my 9-10 mph I used to do in my 20s at 170 bpm. Granted I am getting over sickness and fell off my schedule due to work and the cold but I believe the point is still valid.
fuggedaboutit!

Read this article.  There's also a link there (Q&A) to a very large thread in regards to it.  In the 10+ years of training my run & bike LTHR test results have barely moved, but using an age based formula I'm 10 bpm down from where I was 10 years ago for no reason.

2015-10-20 4:24 PM
in reply to: Donto

Sarasota, Florida
I kept running into Zone 2 in training plans and seeing them mentioned on here but never knew what it all meant. Along with my slowing pace this site makes me feel old with my outdated education. Thanks for linking these. I will run these tests as soon as I clear this cough up.

2015-10-20 5:03 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by runtim23

I'm in my mid 30s and haven't really paid much attention to my HR but while getting over a respiratory infection I was surprised to see it go over 190. Of course it didn't feel good so I slowed down with a careful eye. What I noticed is my target heart rate feels painfully boring and slow. I remember in my 20's I could hold THR and it felt good but now in my mid 30s it feels far too gentle. I can even hold it with my mouth closed and just breathe in and out through my nose. It's not until I go >85% of MHR that it feels like I start getting somewhere. Anyone else notice this? Is spending most your time above THR really that risky? Where did this formula even come from?

a bit of history about the formula...

http://steelcityendurance.com/testing/maximum-heart-ratedont-be-foo...
2015-10-20 10:49 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by runtim23

a bit of history about the formula...

http://steelcityendurance.com/testing/maximum-heart-ratedont-be-foo...

Thank you.
2015-11-11 9:33 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I have a silly question regarding the LT. Do I want to increase my intensity if needed to feel like I've given it everything? or should I keep a steady intensity that leaves me feeling beat?

I'm not sure how my hrm averages. It seems to include time into its calculation instead of just ranges hit, but dividing the range by 2 isn't much higher. I ran the tests but undershot my intensity. As a result I spent the last 2 minutes sprinting them out. Will this work?

Possibly clarified in the instructions or buried in the 24 page FAQ but I didn't see it.
Thanks.
2015-11-12 11:04 PM
in reply to: #5147894

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
You'll want to use it as a reference but repeat the test. As coach Bibby McGee says, " the first rule of testing is to throw out the first test"

What you know is that your true 20 min max hr avg is prob higher than what you just tested. Calculate some zones and see how they feel but repeat the test in 3-4 days and oace it better.

The effort should be a steady effort that is the max you could sustain for that duration
2015-11-13 11:15 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Sarasota, Florida
lol great. Sounds exhausting.
Thanks for clearing that up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who invented target heart rate anyway? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Target Heart Rate for Century Ride of FTHR

Started by jaelinfunk
Views: 1621 Posts: 3

2012-10-04 7:43 AM jaelinfunk

Runing within your target heart rate zone Pages: 1 2

Started by parrislv
Views: 2243 Posts: 28

2009-12-14 8:00 PM Gregkl

Target Heart Rate!

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 1904 Posts: 12

2008-04-21 11:22 AM TH3_FRB

Heart Rate and Target Zones Pages: 1 2 3

Started by B-One
Views: 6171 Posts: 70

2004-12-14 5:09 PM PhysFarm

target heart rate for swim/bike /run

Started by kalle
Views: 1594 Posts: 2

2003-07-03 1:59 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.

date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.
date : July 17, 2005
comments : 0
Yesterday I found that my heart rate was maxed at 95% and averaged 80% for the bike and run with no breathing problems. However, I just couldn't seem to get more out of my legs. Thoughts?

date : April 24, 2005
author : dara
comments : 0
An explanation about how the cardiovascular system works, so that it makes more sense about how the human body responds to exercise in the heat.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.