Other Resources The Political Joe » Paul Ryan-- Speaker of the House Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-22 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Paul Ryan-- Speaker of the House
Now that the ultraconservative wing of the GOP has agreed not to stand in the way of Ryan's appointment to speaker, it seems all but assured. I don't really have a strong opinion about it, other than that I'm not generally a fan of his.

Is this something that people on the Republican/Libertarian side are generally happy about?

I don't know who else would want the job. Ryan's defining characteristic, not unlike Ted Cruz', has always been his ambiton, from what I can tell, rather than any deep committment to public service. I assume that he's only taking on this minefield of a job because someone has convinced him that it's a stepping stone to some more powerful role in the future. To me, he'll always be the guy who lied about his marathon time and then lied about lying about it.

(Hey, I guess I do have an opinion after all!!)

2015-10-22 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Paul Ryan-- Speaker of the House

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Now that the ultraconservative wing of the GOP has agreed not to stand in the way of Ryan's appointment to speaker, it seems all but assured. I don't really have a strong opinion about it, other than that I'm not generally a fan of his. Is this something that people on the Republican/Libertarian side are generally happy about? I don't know who else would want the job. Ryan's defining characteristic, not unlike Ted Cruz', has always been his ambiton, from what I can tell, rather than any deep committment to public service. I assume that he's only taking on this minefield of a job because someone has convinced him that it's a stepping stone to some more powerful role in the future. To me, he'll always be the guy who lied about his marathon time and then lied about lying about it. (Hey, I guess I do have an opinion after all!!)

Speaker of the House is historically a dead-end job.  Political ambition would be a reason not to take the Speaker role.  I think Polk was the only Speaker to eventually become President.

As for ambition vs public service, he has been in the house since being elected in 1999.  He is primarily a budget wonk who digs deeply into the numbers.  I have observed that most people using congress as a stepping stone, don't wait so long to make a move and don't dive very deep into their congressional roles (See Ted Cruz and Barack Obama).

I don't know if he would be a good speaker or not.  I can't imagine why he, or anyone, would want that job.  I do appreciate that he understands the budget and how Federal spending can't keep going at an unsustainable rate.    

Edited by Hook'em 2015-10-22 9:07 AM
2015-10-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Pelosi for speaker......

I think he'd be ok..i guess.....better than mcarthy

2015-10-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by dmiller5

Pelosi for speaker......

Pelosi did a much better job of leading her party than Boehner...and with substantially less tears.

2015-10-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Hook'em

Originally posted by dmiller5

Pelosi for speaker......

Pelosi did a much better job of leading her party than Boehner...and with substantially less tears.

hahaha.  I just think the irony of them forcing out Boehner...and ending up with Pelosi, would be great.  The dems only need to convince a few fed up republicans, or have them be split enough to get her in. Won't happen but I wish

2015-10-22 10:26 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I don't have a strong opinion either way.  I got to meet Paul during the 2012 election when he was in town which is more than I can say about the other names thrown around.  haha

I think that it will be a very difficult job no matter who is put in place because there's so much division in the House.  It's not only Democrats vs. Republicans but even factions within the parties are making life difficult.

2015-10-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
I believe just about anyone would be an improvement over Boehner. The only nice thing I can think to say about him is that is really a bitchen' clothes horse and has a nice tan. Pelosi? Meh.... Let me put it this way. If Boehner and Pelosi came running up to me on fire I'd have to flip a coin to decide who to pizz on first.

Then I'd probably need to flip the coin 99 more times to average things out.
2015-10-23 1:14 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 I believe just about anyone would be an improvement over Boehner. The only nice thing I can think to say about him is that is really a bitchen' clothes horse and has a nice tan. Pelosi? Meh.... Let me put it this way. If Boehner and Pelosi came running up to me on fire I'd have to flip a coin to decide who to pizz on first. Then I'd probably need to flip the coin 99 more times to average things out.

I would just hope it landed on heads.

2015-10-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mdg2003

I believe just about anyone would be an improvement over Boehner. The only nice thing I can think to say about him is that is really a bitchen' clothes horse and has a nice tan. Pelosi? Meh.... Let me put it this way. If Boehner and Pelosi came running up to me on fire I'd have to flip a coin to decide who to pizz on first.

Then I'd probably need to flip the coin 99 more times to average things out.

See, that's just the kind of balanced, non-partisan thinking that we need more of in this country!!
2015-10-23 7:17 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I consider myself a conservative, but the Republican party left (pun intended) me a long time ago.  I am NOT excited about Ryan as Speaker.  With that said, I can't think of anyone save perhaps Gowdy that I would support for Speaker.  

2015-10-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by bsjracing

I consider myself a conservative, but the Republican party left (pun intended) me a long time ago.  I am NOT excited about Ryan as Speaker.  With that said, I can't think of anyone save perhaps Gowdy that I would support for Speaker.  

I think Gowdy hurt himself yesterday during HillBill's testimony.  Seems like even the Rupubs are ready to put Benghazi behind them. 

(now if ONLT some BTers would follow suit)

2015-10-26 9:30 AM
in reply to: bsjracing

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

What's funny is I can't seriously think of a single person who stands out to me.  I vote for Pedro

2015-10-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tuwood

What's funny is I can't seriously think of a single person who stands out to me.  I vote for Pedro

I vote for my congressman. (ok I recently moved and he/she is probably a democrat). Trouble is most of congress has a very low approval but most approve of there congressman. Since that is the case is there anyone you would even approve of ( except maybe your own congressman)?

In all seriousness I just hope he does not use the major of the major rule.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Paul Ryan-- Speaker of the House Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Four House Members in One!

Started by JoshR
Views: 685 Posts: 3

2014-02-04 5:35 AM DanielG

Let Kids Drink at Your House and You Could Go to Jail, Maine Couple Warns

Started by DanielG
Views: 2230 Posts: 16

2013-06-17 4:02 PM Meljoypip
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 1, 2011
author : Competitor.com
comments : 0
Interviews from the January 22, 2011 EnduranceLive Consumer Show and Gala by Competitor.com

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 0
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.