General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking outfit in cold weather Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-22 8:39 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Biking outfit in cold weather
Good morning,
this is my first autumn on the bike. I am not sure what to wear when it gets colder, so I don't get sick, but at the same time - I don't want to sweat and overheat. (I have been fighting pretty bad cold for the last two weeks, and I don't want to deal with it any more.)
Some details:
- weather temp around 40-50 degrees F, windy, it's Chicago, so sometimes it feels colder than it looks like.
- my commute to work is around 11 miles and I absolutely need to make it under 40 minutes (from my kids' school drop time to my work clock start). I usually ride 4 minutes/mile, since I have to stop at lights and slow for traffic, etc.
- I have to dress nicely at work, so I usually have working clothes in a back pack and just change in my office.

I am probably overthinking this subject, but I truly want to take advantage of no snow and bike as much as I can, and don't get sick. Any tips from your experience appreciated

Thanks!
Mary

2015-10-22 8:45 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Biking outfit in cold weather
If possible, I would not want to spend any extra money, if things from my closet work.
2015-10-22 9:00 AM

User image

40-50 and raining is the entire Fall/Winter/Spring riding season out here in Portland. My thoughts on staying warm:

Good gloves! This is one item I'd spend some money on, as cold hands suck and are dangerous.

Beyond that, layers, so that you can adjust as you warm up. I've got a running shell that has zips in the arms as well as the front zip that allows pretty good ventilation adjustment.

I'll stay in just short until it hits the low 50's/high 40's, then add tights.

My $0.02,
Corey
2015-10-22 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Feet and hands are going to be your cold spots. Gloves are pretty easy and I am sure you have some mid weigh winter ones if you are from Chicago. For your feet I would suggest getting some shoe covers. A light hat under your helmet will also help especially if it covers your ears.

Otherwise I would stick to basic cycling stuff, bike shorts with tights over them, a long sleeve jersey with a light jacket.

2015-10-22 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

40-50 and 11 miles...

I get a lot of mileage in that temperature range from knee warmers or knickers, arm warmers, a base layer (or two) under the jersey, and a shell vest. Gloves are a must (I only wear gloves as a temperature consideration), and I regularly use some Home Depot work gloves with no padding (just my personal preference -- YMMV). Wool socks and MTB shoes rather than the all-mesh road shoes and I'm good. If it gets into the 30's, a full sleeve shell, full tights, shoe covers, thicker gloves, and a helmet liner.

Hope that helps.

2015-10-22 10:04 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
This is very helpful, thanks!
Probably once I do the first ride I will see how it feels. Regarding gloves - should I go to the bike store and ask for something specific?
Mary

2015-10-22 5:39 PM

User image

The big thing with me for gloves is the size of the interior seams in the fingers. I've got a cheaper pair that are plenty warm, but the big seams push into my fingers when I'm trying to shift. The other issue I've found is the fingers being a little too short and getting the webbing between my fingers jammed.

The bike store should have plenty of options for multiple temperature ranges.
2015-10-22 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
My trick for gloves is a pair of latex surgical gloves to cut the wind and a pair of regular running gloves over those. It's not a perfect fix but you would not believe the difference between having the latex gloves and not having them.
2015-10-22 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Neoprene toe covers ...
2015-10-23 7:28 AM
in reply to: 0

Ideally in your apparel choices you want the following, but I'll add in comments where you can save money.

Tights - which are also great for running.

Jerseys - obviously

Shorts or bibs - whatever you usually use for cycling

Cycling pants - not "necessary" if you have tights. Depending on where the seams are in your running tights, you may be able to wear these under your bike shorts. Check at a short distance to ensure no chafing. if chafing happens, you may need to wear them over, which may stretch them out a bit. If your bike shorts fit properly, it shouldn't be too difficult to pull them over.

Long sleeve compression shirt - you'll eventually need one for running too so might as well buy one. Wear under your jersey.

Cycling jacket - These can be pricey, but are sooo worth it. I found mine on clearance for $35 online. I used to cycle in my running jacket, but will never go back. Again, to save $$ you can probably use a running jacket, but needs to be stretchy and form fitting.

Leg/arm sleeves - I use them (arm) for running, biking and golf. Great for starting out, and can quickly remove if you get warm and stash in a pocket. I don't use leg sleeves, my legs are very hairy (TMI) and keep themselves pretty warm. These are very optional as they only hit a very small window of temperature ranges.

Gloves - I wear mountain bike gloves over my padded, fingerless cycling gloves when it gets cold. I bought a cheap pair one size larger. The latex/regular combo suggested above is also cool. I am more sensitive here, as I have Reynaud's.

Toe covers - they are very helpful. I just bought a pair. Last year I went the cheap route. Grab two plastic grocery bags, stick your feet in them. Put your feet in your cycling shoes. Trim off whatever sticks out the top. Costs nothing and helps a ton.

Lightweight hat or bandanna - cover your head inside your helmet. Makes a huge difference.

Neck warmer - again, not necessary but may be helpful - make sure your helmet strap can fit under it.

Mouth mask - optional.

Once you have all this, make notes. Temperature when you stared your ride, Temperature when you finished. What you wore. How cold/warm were you starting, and when you finished. Did you take off any layers? I did this for running and cycling, and even used to do this years ago for snowmobiling. Check your notes often and eventually you will know exactly what to wear. You should eventfully have "ranges" like 40-50degrees, 30-40, 10-30. Save it somewhere and every year you can go back to it.

Edited by H2OhNo 2015-10-23 7:30 AM
2015-10-23 9:21 AM

User image

Just a quick note. You do not get sick from getting wet, or cold, or going outside when you are wet or cold. A virus makes you sick.

2015-10-23 11:23 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Thanks!
This is a really great list of things. I am really hoping to bike as much as I can, even during winter, if there's no snow.

And yes - I will try to stay away from viruses and bacteria you are definitely right.
Mary
2015-10-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Do you have a speed and distance problem? You say you need to make it in 40 minutes but for 11 miles your pace will get you there in 44 miles.

The list from H2OhNo has some things that you won't need for 40 - 50 degrees. For commuting your don't really need much bike-specific gear. I have a general assortment of long & short sleeve tech shirts, base layer shirts, tights, winter sports pants and hats and gloves of varying thickness. I use all of it for running, cross country skiing and cycling. The same Pearl Izumi soft-shell jacket works for everything. As it gets colder I mostly just add more layers

The extremities are where it gets trickier. Toe covers are nice. And finding the right gloves is important. Below freezing on a bike my boots (forget about clipless pedals and cycling shoes) and gloves start to get bulkier - appearance and performance become secondary. I sometimes carry a few heat packs in case my hands or feet start to freeze. But I'm starting to get into advice for when it's "really cold" which is an entirely different discussion.

Don

Edited by donw 2015-10-23 8:49 PM
2015-10-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by donw

Do you have a speed and distance problem? You say you need to make it in 40 minutes but for 11 miles your pace will get you there in 44 miles.

The list from H2OhNo has some things that you won't need for 40 - 50 degrees. For commuting your don't really need much bike-specific gear. I have a general assortment of long & short sleeve tech shirts, base layer shirts, tights, winter sports pants and hats and gloves of varying thickness. I use all of it for running, cross country skiing and cycling. The same Pearl Izumi soft-shell jacket works for everything. As it gets colder I mostly just add more layers

The extremities are where it gets trickier. Toe covers are nice. And finding the right gloves is important. Below freezing on a bike my boots (forget about clipless pedals and cycling shoes) and gloves start to get bulkier - appearance and performance become secondary. I sometimes carry a few heat packs in case my hands or feet start to freeze. But I'm starting to get into advice for when it's "really cold" which is an entirely different discussion.

Don

Eventually I want to increase the speed. Right now it is an average, because a lot depends on traffic lights, train crossing, that kind of things. Sometimes it takes me closer to 40 minutes, sometimes more. It is fine if I am late a bit for work, but my goal is to ride faster and make it below 40. We shall see.
Thanks for your tips and feedback! I will see how autumn weather feels, before I go into freezing mode I hope I'll enjoy it too.
Mary
2015-10-24 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Lots of good suggestions here.

You will figure out what works for you after a few rides.

I would head to a thrift shop and find a merino wool sweater for the chilly mornings.  I also put on shoe covers early in the season.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking outfit in cold weather Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cold weather biking gloves and stuff

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 831 Posts: 7

2011-12-01 7:02 PM powerman

Cold weather biking

Started by Mister Mike
Views: 1746 Posts: 24

2011-03-02 6:50 PM brucemorgan

Running in Cold/Colder Weather

Started by privateer
Views: 2073 Posts: 16

2010-11-02 5:11 PM newbz

Virginia weather-Gear for colder weather?

Started by nadaswimmer
Views: 1031 Posts: 4

2009-08-11 1:54 PM jsselle

Cold weather Biking

Started by Rogillio
Views: 963 Posts: 12

2006-01-07 6:31 PM piggpen35
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2013
author : b2run
comments : 7
This is an article with lots of great information about running in temperatures from 0 C to - 30 C.

date : December 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Learn how to choose appropriate gear for warmth and safety. With proper clothing and exercise adjustments, you can enjoy a season of safe, effective and fun training!
date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.

date : November 19, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on IM heart-rate zones, LT zone testing, off season focus, aero helmets, flats and tires, 650 or 700cc, cold weather and marathon recovery.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 7
Being lean isn't all wine and roses. The reduction in body fat has, unfortunately, also made me a slower swimmer. I have also become a real wimp in cold of any kind.

date : April 17, 2005
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : November 28, 2004
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
I challenge all BT readers who want to shed the pounds to stay committed to their training during the colder months. Share this commitment with others.