General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for tri season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-23 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Preparing for tri season
How do you prepare for tri season? What do you work on in the "off season"?

I recently raced IMLou. I've taken off a few weeks: some light swimming here, a spin there, a run...I'm going to continue to take it easy for another week or two, then diving into marathon training for an early March race.

I've done it this way since 2013 and find that the running base I develop in winter/spring helps me maintain a high level of running fitness throughout the year on less run training. This past year, I did the least amount of run training before an IM in my leadup to IMLou and had my best run, on an overall tougher course than my previous IMs.

In the leadup to the marathon, I'll do some swimming and cycling, then cut it out almost completely 3-4 weeks out, when I hit peak running volume. Once the race is over, and after a short 1 week recovery, I'll jump right into a swim and bike focus, while maintaining the run.

Anyone do something similar to this? Any other strategies that you'd like to share?

Happy "off season" !

2015-10-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Preparing for tri season
I'm also running a marathon on March 5, with BQ as a goal. So I will focus on run training this winter, BarryP plan, running 6 days a week. I will still swim and bike, but will keep the bike workouts shorter with some intensity. I'm hoping to continue with running improvements, as IMChoo has a difficult run course.
2015-10-28 7:39 AM

Yes.. keep the running going, doing winter marathon training but also a portion of the off season doing some serious weight training, especially training concentrating on single leg isolation exercises (quads, hamstrings, lunge work) and core strengthening
2015-11-03 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Will you also be doing an Ironman next season, and if so when?  You've described an offseason for getting ready for a spring marathon, not a triathlon season.  If your A race is an Ironman next season and not the marathon then I'd spend a lot more time improving your bike fitness as well.  Improved bike fitness will also help your IM run.

2015-11-03 11:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Through out the winter I continue to do all 3 sports, just not with the same intensity and distance as the spring/summer months. What I try to do is pick one sport and do an intensive block of work on that sport. My first year I worked the "off" season on swimming and got my IM swim time down from 1:24 to 1:10. I could go quicker but I am comfortable at this pace, and really what is another 10 minutes off on a 12 hour day? The second "off" season I worked my running and did a lot of speed work and used this block to qualify for Boston. This year I am doing a solid 4 month bike block to build my FTP up.
I also use this time to do 2-3 weight workouts a week as well as every second day core workouts.

Edited by DeVinci13 2015-11-03 11:32 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Preparing for tri season Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running and dealing with the heat - preparing for Eagleman 70.3

Started by swalley
Views: 2530 Posts: 16

2013-04-18 12:15 PM chenny

how to prepare for HIM?

Started by miche033
Views: 1285 Posts: 7

2012-10-26 8:45 AM rottieguy

Preparing the marathon of an IM Pages: 1 2

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2299 Posts: 30

2008-04-11 8:34 AM JeepFleeb

Off-season Training Bloggers Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 4379 Posts: 44

2005-12-27 10:35 AM BigTrain

1/2 IM in your second season? Pages: 1 2

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 3147 Posts: 33

2004-12-31 9:12 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 2, 2014
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
The preparation for the swim leg of the triathlon begins months ahead of the race with the proper training. Here are also tips to prepare for race day.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.