General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool versus OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-24 10:11 PM

User image

, Louisiana
Subject: Pool versus OWS
I can do 2.5 miles continuous in the pool but struggle to get in 300-400 meters in open water before needing something to hang onto or rolling over on my back for a breather. Two main variables come to mind, I am wearing a wetsuit in the OWS (feels a little constricting), and the anxiety of not having the safety of the walls and lane stripes. Is the split second pause at the wall(haven't mastered flip turns), so much help that this is the reason I can almost swim for a couple hours continuously, in the pool? This has been going on for a few months now. Getting a little old. Is there something I can do to better the OWS? I have found a place that I can use for OWS as much as I use the pool, and have been trying to use it at least half the time. I have an HIM in 2 weeks and I'm getting a little concerned.

2015-10-24 10:35 PM
in reply to: #5148762

Subject: RE: Pool versus OWS
Sounds like anxiety. Not a bad thing, the human body has multiple defenses built in to keep us safe. But just trust your training and push through it.
2015-10-24 10:46 PM
in reply to: jareed58

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by jareed58

I can do 2.5 miles continuous in the pool but struggle to get in 300-400 meters in open water before needing something to hang onto or rolling over on my back for a breather. Two main variables come to mind, I am wearing a wetsuit in the OWS (feels a little constricting), and the anxiety of not having the safety of the walls and lane stripes. Is the split second pause at the wall(haven't mastered flip turns), so much help that this is the reason I can almost swim for a couple hours continuously, in the pool? This has been going on for a few months now. Getting a little old. Is there something I can do to better the OWS? I have found a place that I can use for OWS as much as I use the pool, and have been trying to use it at least half the time. I have an HIM in 2 weeks and I'm getting a little concerned.

Have you trained in your wetsuit in the pool ?
2015-10-24 10:53 PM
in reply to: H2OhNo

User image

Portland, Oregon
Are you consciously focusing on keeping your form the same in open water as you do in the pool? Seems like a lot of the swimmers I see doing OWS for the first time respond by raising their heads to see better, which makes swimming a lot more fatiguing, which in turn increases anxiety. Kind of a vicious cycle.
2015-10-25 12:36 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by jareed58 I can do 2.5 miles continuous in the pool but struggle to get in 300-400 meters in open water before needing something to hang onto or rolling over on my back for a breather. Two main variables come to mind, I am wearing a wetsuit in the OWS (feels a little constricting), and the anxiety of not having the safety of the walls and lane stripes. Is the split second pause at the wall(haven't mastered flip turns), so much help that this is the reason I can almost swim for a couple hours continuously, in the pool? This has been going on for a few months now. Getting a little old. Is there something I can do to better the OWS? I have found a place that I can use for OWS as much as I use the pool, and have been trying to use it at least half the time. I have an HIM in 2 weeks and I'm getting a little concerned.

A little 'snug' is OK.  "Constricting" may be too tight.  Try and rent a different suit to practice in.  See if it makes a difference.  I'm really sensitive to my suit being TOO tight-maybe you are ,too.   Good Luck!

2015-10-25 11:25 AM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

, Louisiana
My next step was to wear the wetsuit in the pool. I did get the next size up wetsuit because my older won had shrunk(Yeah Right). tight but not like the older one.

2015-10-25 11:26 AM
in reply to: martymo

User image

, Louisiana
I try to keep the same form, I keep an easy stroke pace both in the pool and OWS.
2015-10-25 9:31 PM

There is a very good chance you haven't put the wetsuit on properly. A tri wetsuit is put on much differently than a surfing wetsuit, probably best to google it rather than me explain how to put it on. But basically it's a common problem, not putting it on correctly and ending up with it too tight on your chest and then having issues breathing, panic attacks etc.
2015-10-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by zedzded

There is a very good chance you haven't put the wetsuit on properly. A tri wetsuit is put on much differently than a surfing wetsuit, probably best to google it rather than me explain how to put it on. But basically it's a common problem, not putting it on correctly and ending up with it too tight on your chest and then having issues breathing, panic attacks etc.

I agree, but I'll try to explain. Inch up the wetsuit from the bottom up carefully. Make sure the wetsuit's leg V reaches well into your crotch area. Then do the same with your sleeves. Make sure you get it all the way up so that the wetsuit armpit area touches your armpits. Then get in the water and let some water into the wetsuit so it can expand a bit more. Feel the water reach your arms and legs completely.

Your breathing pattern may have changed also in open water since you can't see the line below you. Focus on a very aerobic effort and slow even breaths when you start out. Breath out through your nose slowly when your face is under water (don't hold your breath). Other than those 2 important things I can suggest, stick to your normal pool swim pattern.
2015-10-26 9:33 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by jareed58

Have you trained in your wetsuit in the pool ?

I think you should try this too. But close your eyes when your face is under water to help simulate OWS conditions.
2015-10-27 8:45 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Edmond, Oklahoma
I had the same problem this summer. I did what the others have mentioned. OWS is different and you do need to practice. Some of my problems were anxiety from a tight wetsuit and not being able to see. My "aimer was broke" for the first two races due to poor sighting and I swam off course too much.

I would practice OWS swims more, wear your wetsuit in the pool and work on your breathing ensuring you exhale and don't hold your breath. Also swimming with your eyes closed is the pool is an excellent suggestion and lets you know which direction you tend to pull ( either right or left) and will identify weaknesses in your stroke for maintaining a direct line.

I did not appreciate the difference between swimming in the pool and OWS. Four or five additional swims really helped me and solved many of my issues. You also have to adjust to the rough starts you can have in the beginning of OWS. Starting to the side in the race so you can have clear water and stay in your rhythm helps until you get accustomed to the pounding you may experience at the start of races.

2015-10-28 6:49 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Do you do flip turns in the pool????

Lots of people doing open turns hang on the wall and get a break every lap, not even realizing they are doing it.

If you do an open turn in the pool never grab the wall, touch it with your finger tips only and go. Done correctly to simulate not stopping you should not have a chance to breath at the wall.
2015-10-28 8:53 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Have you ever swim in OW without the wetsuit?

Give this a try and it will soon tell you if it is a wetsuit related problem. It might not be. I had a similar issue but I wasn't wearing a wetsuit it totally came down to a minor panic attack that was stopping from exhaling when I put my face in the water. I have regularly swum in the ocean as well as the pool for my entire life so I still don't know what it is about.

It has gotten better but there are two things that I try and do each time I swim:
1. Get in early and get your head under, especially important if it is cold, you need to get your brain used to the change in temperature. I worry less about doing a warm up and more about just relaxing with my head under the water.
2. Concentrate for the first part of your swim on making sure you are exhaling under water and not holding your breath.

Good luck
2015-10-28 2:30 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

, Louisiana
Never learned flip turns, but I do try to make the wall turns as quick as possible. Started wearing the wetsuit in the pool and OWS. I am thinking it is a little of the OW anxiety and getting use to the wetsuit. It is getting better. One thing I noticed is a drastic amount of speed increase, with the wetsuit in the pool, on the level of 28 seconds faster per 100 meters.
2015-10-28 3:55 PM

User image

Some people find that it helps to take a minute to just hang out in the water before an OWS. Swim a few short stretches, get loosened up, make adjustments to your wetsuit, get your face used to being in the cold water. A slow warm up makes all the difference for me. The more I do OWS, the less of a warm up I need, but I still find that it helps to stand in the water for a few seconds and swing my arms around and maybe put my head under the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool versus OWS Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

pool versus lake times

Started by feynmanfan
Views: 1509 Posts: 11

2010-03-13 10:47 AM gsmacleod

Olympic Tri - Pool or OWS

Started by matthewjt
Views: 864 Posts: 2

2006-06-10 12:04 PM JohnnyKay

Pool times vs. OWS

Started by Jackemy
Views: 1196 Posts: 23

2006-06-09 8:11 AM DeannaS

OWS vs. Pool , I want the truth Pages: 1 2

Started by justalittletri
Views: 1821 Posts: 38

2005-08-25 8:52 AM imnotjoking

Open Water versus Pool Training

Started by jkerbs
Views: 1347 Posts: 24

2004-05-21 2:03 PM debs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : October 14, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.