General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle the psychological aspect of injury? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-25 10:01 PM

Subject: How to handle the psychological aspect of injury?
I'm in the weeds and would greatly appreciate input.

A sharp pain in the knee forced me to stop a run short. A persistent bruise and discomfort convinced me to have it checked out. Doc suspected MCL tear and ordered MRI. After review of the MRI the surgeon advised me to stop running. Permanently. I've damaged the cartilage on the medial side of the femur. Badly enough he said I'll risk need of knee replacement if I continue running.

I was so unprepared for this kind of news I wasn't able to think of intelligent questions. I have no reason to believe he isn't competent, but given the severity of the verdict I'll be seeking a second opinion.

I'm afraid of a confirmation. This is my first injury and I wasn't prepared for this. Going forward I don't know how to reconcile this with some of my life goals. I may be getting ahead of myself since I don't have a second opinion yet, but I never thought I'd be in this position. Never occurred to me.

I want to go running. Now. But I've seen the MRI myself. I know what's in there. This is so frustrating.

2015-11-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: Swamp Runner

User image

Subject: RE: How to handle the psychological aspect of injury?

Hi Swamp Runner,

I'm really sorry to hear about you having such a serious injury. It's good that you're already set on getting a second opinion. But are you looking to retake the MRI scans or just have another professional look at them? I think the second option is sufficient, BUT that professional should be someone who is used to dealing with athletes and understand the importance of running (in this case) for them.

Assuming the first verdict is correct, I have no good answers really. I come from a running background and was (and still am to an extent) dealing with a long-term knee injury which eventually got me so frustrated that I started doing triathlons instead, skipping the run part of training almost completely for a long time. I'm still not at a level where I would dare start training for a 70.3 or an Ironman. 

The thing is though, that I quickly became as passionate (or more!) about triathlon than I had been about running, even though I had thought that was impossible. Maybe something similar can happen to you? 

Are you able to bike and swim still? 

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best for you!

Regards,

Mikael

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to handle the psychological aspect of injury? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Advice - Injury

Started by sally888
Views: 1328 Posts: 5

2004-10-09 5:35 PM dhyte

personal injury on the bt boards

Started by autumn
Views: 1551 Posts: 5

2004-09-09 11:18 AM domlazz

running injuries

Started by bretcko1
Views: 1824 Posts: 7

2004-08-14 11:20 PM joeinco

Bike Injury Question

Started by Adam_NH
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2004-07-15 5:02 PM Adam_NH

BAck Injury

Started by will race for beer
Views: 1059 Posts: 8

2004-12-10 1:55 PM gr8brindle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 2, 2006
author : ciarac
comments : 0
The psychological benefits of aerobic exercise are numerous: mood enhancing, reduced anxiety and depression and also stress reduction.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
comments : 0
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.