http://www.burlington5k.com/index.html
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 19m 55s
Overall Rank = 2/124
Age Group = OA
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

With an 11:00 start, I had all morning to get ready. I stopped at Starbucks for a four shot Americano on the way to the race. Arrived in plenty of time for packet pick up and warm up.
Event warmup:

My standard 1.5 mile warm up. Mostly easy with some strides mixed in. I felt good during my warm up.
Run
  • 19m 55s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 59s  min/km
Comments:

This comes two weeks after my goal marathon. I didn't have a great marathon and didn't have really high expectations for this race. I was really hoping I could run a sub-20:00. My PR is 19:45 but I wasn't thinking about that. All of my running since the marathon has been easy. I hadn't even done any fast strides.

I lined up on the front row, something I only do for small races. When the race started, the rest of the front row shot out ahead of me. I tried to ignore them and just run my own race. I wasn't racing them...I was racing the clock. Being competitive though, I did see that I was in 12th place early on. As the first mile continued, I started passing people. I was in 5th place by the end of mile 1. I felt good, running well and my breathing was under control.

Early into mile two, I passed 4th and 3rd place. I was running my own race but was happy to be passing people. I was still feeling good and holding a good pace. I passed the 2nd place runner around the halfway point of the race. He surged to hold onto his spot, but I could tell by his heavy breathing that he was done. He quickly faded. I was now in 2nd place but by the end of mile two I was in 5K pain hell.

Mile 3 turned onto a side street with a roundabout. This street started as a gentle incline for about a half mile, leading into the turnaround. In the late stages of a 5K, the incline felt like a mountain. As the leader went by me in the opposite direction, I gave him a thumbs up which, which he returned. I hit the turnaround and could see the 3rd place runner wasn't going to catch me. As the incline changed to a decline, I hit the gas. The course turned back onto the main road and I was giving it all I had. My first glimpse of the clock showed 19:40, at which point I knew I had my sub-20:00. I crossed in 19:55 and in second place. I pumped my fist a few times before almost puking.

Pace splits were 6:21, 6:19, 6:43, 6:19.

I am very happy with this race after a tough marathon. This is my highest finish ever in a running race (also got 2nd in a duathlon once), though I am more excited about breaking 20:00 for the third time in my last four tries. My PR is 19:45 and I'll be looking to break that in December.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I executed this race well.
Post race
Warm down:

I shook hands with the winner and spoke to a few other runners who congratulated me on my race. That was cool. I hung around for the awards ceremony to collect my medal. HOORAY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running this two weeks post-marathon. My legs were not recovered.

Event comments:

This is a good "small local race" to support the local land trust. Roads were closed to traffic and there were plenty of high school volunteers to help. Post-race provided hot coffee and cookies, perfect for a cool autumn day. Results were posted online by the time I got home. For a $20 5K, you can't ask for much more.

The course is flat and fast.

Last updated: 2015-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:55 | 05 kms | 03m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 2/124
Performance: Good
Course: This was a flat course. There were a few inclines, but nothing I would call a hill. Given this was in a hilly town, I was surprised they managed to find 3.1 flat miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-26 8:11 AM

User image

Subject: Burlington 5K

2015-10-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5148912

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Burlington 5K
Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burlington 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

MEC Burlington

Started by latestarter
Views: 750 Posts: 1

2013-05-18 5:14 PM latestarter

Burlington River Run

Started by Organic Steam
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2007-11-05 7:02 PM Organic Steam

Cape Henry 10 Miler & 5K-21M-5K Duathalon

Started by Lunch $ victim
Views: 1609 Posts: 1

2006-11-19 3:36 PM Lunch $ victim

Cape Henry 10 Miler & 5K-21M-5K Duathalon

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1892 Posts: 3

2006-11-20 7:49 AM Shanks

4th Annual Sun Bowl 5k Run & Walk 5k Run

Started by Lasersaw
Views: 1848 Posts: 1

2005-12-31 9:19 PM Lasersaw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.