General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fitness impact on bike performance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-27 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Swim fitness impact on bike performance

Ever wonder why the swim affected your bike so much ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26272315

"cycling exercise tolerance after prior upper body exercise is potentially mediated by central fatigue and intolerable levels of sensory perception rather than a critical peripheral fatigue limit"

2015-10-27 8:35 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Swim fitness impact on bike performance

I'd beinterested to know what level of swimming the cyclists were at.  I'd be willing to bet that very well trained swimmers can mitigate some of that, especially at certain distances.

2015-10-27 9:05 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Thanks for sharing this. This is something that has always interested me but I haven't taken much time to research it and rarely see it mentioned in athletic articles. I've had similar questions since my early weight training days. Why is it if I perform several sets of leg exercises then go to the bench press, I can't lift as much? My colleagues often told me it didn't, it was in my head and I was just being lazier.

I will take time to break the article and terms down to better understand it all.

I am glad it goes SBR because I have done transition runs after swims and find it more difficult than bike to run which seems to contradict logic.
2015-10-27 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
They need to learn to glide more.
2015-10-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by runtim23

Thanks for sharing this. This is something that has always interested me but I haven't taken much time to research it and rarely see it mentioned in athletic articles. I've had similar questions since my early weight training days. Why is it if I perform several sets of leg exercises then go to the bench press, I can't lift as much? My colleagues often told me it didn't, it was in my head and I was just being lazier.

I will take time to break the article and terms down to better understand it all.

I am glad it goes SBR because I have done transition runs after swims and find it more difficult than bike to run which seems to contradict logic.

So if I understand it properly they measured local muscle fatigue and tested cyclists to exhaustion.
If they had done previous upper body exercise they would hit the exhaustion with less lower body muscle fatigue.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fitness impact on bike performance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How does run fitness translate to bike fitness

Started by TTom
Views: 2668 Posts: 13

2015-02-17 11:37 AM TTom

How's this for running/biking/swimming performance? Pages: 1 2

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 2507 Posts: 36

2011-05-11 7:11 PM jpbis26

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12488 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

Impact on performance of donating blood

Started by fatmouse
Views: 1046 Posts: 7

2008-05-23 6:54 AM runnerx

Running Fitness to Biking Fitness

Started by cdf26.2
Views: 977 Posts: 3

2004-04-29 1:04 PM max
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
Do you wonder how aging impacts performance—and what you can do to retain youthful fitness?

date : June 21, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
How recent studies can impact your training and nutrition strategies
date : May 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
The impact forces and eccentric contractions associated with running stress muscles, ligaments, and tendons to a point that requires greater recovery than the other sports.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
You may think that all the swims are the same. You get in, follow the buoys and exit. Well, it’s not so simple. What will the water itself be like?
date : January 30, 2005
author : sekhmet
We can no longer say “I’ll start training next year” or “let me just get through the holidays”- it IS next year and I, for one, am more than through with the holidays.

date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.