of 2

2015-10-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Colnago sexist?

Originally posted by dmiller5

LB that damn picture, you're the worst.

Its a weird advertisement........but I think a better strategy would be ignorning it and not buying their stuff rather than giving them all the press.  Plus they're italian and we all know [insert stereotype about creepy italian men here].

Dave.....that deer was delicious!!   Next time I'll post a picture of a head of lettuce or something. LOL

2015-10-27 10:41 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by briderdt

[rant]"Add" is a mathematical function. "Ad" is a short form of "advertisement". [/rant]

When I saw that ad, my first thought was "the bike is way too big for her". My second thought was "where are her shoes?"

I must be getting old.

I hear you Dave.  Those were my thoughts exactly.

2015-10-28 9:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

molto veloce mama
The hunting picture and the creepy Italian dude picture are great. It just goes to show that what offends or bothers one person might not bother another. I don't hunt, and I'm as close to vegan as I can be, but I also admire friends who hunt, especially those who bow hunt. Cecil the lion bugged me, but seeing a picture of a dead deer doesn't. Venison is one of the only animal proteins I will eat, IF the deer was killed by a family member (I have a similar rule for eggs). I respect tho that what one person sees as an awesome accomplishment (bagging a nice deer and helping keep the deer population in check) could offend or bother someone else (a vegan who sees it as unneeded cruelty). The Colnago ad is no different. Some people see a bike that's too big for a short rider, and others see the sexual exploitation of a young girl, and others see lame male focused marketing (or all of the above)...and some folks don't see anything wrong at all. Doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right, its just different perspectives on the same thing.

Edited by autumn 2015-10-28 9:46 AM
2015-10-28 10:00 AM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Pro

Originally posted by autumn The hunting picture and the creepy Italian dude picture are great. It just goes to show that what offends or bothers one person might not bother another. I don't hunt, and I'm as close to vegan as I can be, but I also admire friends who hunt, especially those who bow hunt. Cecil the lion bugged me, but seeing a picture of a dead deer doesn't. Venison is one of the only animal proteins I will eat, IF the deer was killed by a family member (I have a similar rule for eggs). I respect tho that what one person sees as an awesome accomplishment (bagging a nice deer and helping keep the deer population in check) could offend or bother someone else (a vegan who sees it as unneeded cruelty). The Colnago ad is no different. Some people see a bike that's too big for a short rider, and others see the sexual exploitation of a young girl, and others see lame male focused marketing (or all of the above)...and some folks don't see anything wrong at all. Doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right, its just different perspectives on the same thing.

I think that's right.  What I don't think is right is the non-stop crap that a comnpany can get because SOME people are offended.  Or maybe better put, I don't like that a company or any entity will go through all kinds of changes and expenses because of a loud minority......and those expenses are eventually passed on to all of us.  I think we're becoming a nation of whiners and complainers because we see that those vocal few get their way.  Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I can even see how it could be completely valid........I just draw the line at all of the constant "I'm offended" that it leads to.  (I'm not speaking to you specifically, Autumn, just the general nature of how this stuff goes).

2015-10-28 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by autumn The hunting picture and the creepy Italian dude picture are great. It just goes to show that what offends or bothers one person might not bother another. I don't hunt, and I'm as close to vegan as I can be, but I also admire friends who hunt, especially those who bow hunt. Cecil the lion bugged me, but seeing a picture of a dead deer doesn't. Venison is one of the only animal proteins I will eat, IF the deer was killed by a family member (I have a similar rule for eggs). I respect tho that what one person sees as an awesome accomplishment (bagging a nice deer and helping keep the deer population in check) could offend or bother someone else (a vegan who sees it as unneeded cruelty). The Colnago ad is no different. Some people see a bike that's too big for a short rider, and others see the sexual exploitation of a young girl, and others see lame male focused marketing (or all of the above)...and some folks don't see anything wrong at all. Doesn't mean one is wrong and one is right, its just different perspectives on the same thing.

I think that's right.  What I don't think is right is the non-stop crap that a comnpany can get because SOME people are offended.  Or maybe better put, I don't like that a company or any entity will go through all kinds of changes and expenses because of a loud minority......and those expenses are eventually passed on to all of us.  I think we're becoming a nation of whiners and complainers because we see that those vocal few get their way.  Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and I can even see how it could be completely valid........I just draw the line at all of the constant "I'm offended" that it leads to.  (I'm not speaking to you specifically, Autumn, just the general nature of how this stuff goes).

This is an excellent discussion.  I also, like Autumn, actually find the deer thing way better than factory farming. I was mostly teasing LB.  I like to remind people/remember that offense cannot be given, it can only be taken.  Spending your life offended seems like a stressful state of being.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-10-28 10:33 AM
2015-10-28 10:19 AM

User image

Pro

This is an excellent discussion.  I also, like Autumn, actually find the dear thing way better than factory farming. I was mostly teasing LB.  I like to remind people/remember that offense cannot be given, it can only be taken.  Spending your life offended seems like a stressful state of being.

I know you were, Dave.....and next time I see you I'll give you some deer sausage. 

2015-10-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

molto veloce mama
I know you were, Dave.....and next time I see you I'll give you some deer sausage. 

Dave might not agree with this, but I have some strange rules that keep me on a mostly vegan diet, but fit our life. One is related to hunting. My father-in-law, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law all deer hunt. I have many friends who own chickens (and we have considered it, in all honesty). If these folks bring me venison or eggs, I consider it a gift and am of a clear conscience when I consume it because I know exactly where the animal came from, the life they led while alive, and the manner of death (or harvest, in the case of the eggs). I also wear wool because I don't like wearing synthetics all the time, AND I won't give up drinking beer on cask just because it has isinglass in it.

And just like all things, I am sure my 'exceptions' would offend some vegans. Not to go totally off track, but I posted in a vegan forum once how eating honey was not as bad as driving a car and people went bananas. "You have a choice to not eat honey, but you don't have a choice about driving a car". Its all choice and its all relative. Millions of bugs and animals are killed from vehicles every year, and some folks have a choice to not drive and do it anyway. Am I going to think you are a bad person for drinking a car and taking out a few squirrels and fireflies? Nope. If you feel you have to drive, that's your choice. Should you be cranky because I rock my Ibex when I ride through the Minnesota winter and end my day with a rad cask beer? Nope.

Its all about respecting the fact that everyone has a different perspective and a plethora of different reasons why they live life the way thy do. What shuts down understanding is thinking your way is the only way and being dogmatic about it.

And I still think she looks 12 and that the ad is in poor taste.
2015-10-28 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

This is an excellent discussion.  I also, like Autumn, actually find the dear thing way better than factory farming. I was mostly teasing LB.  I like to remind people/remember that offense cannot be given, it can only be taken.  Spending your life offended seems like a stressful state of being.

I have a yearly chili cookoff party, and last year the winner was a venison chili. That stuff was freaking good.

2015-10-28 11:05 AM

User image

Pro

Autumn - We're the opposite of vegans at our house......in fact, we are about as carnivorous as anyone I know.  But here's some common ground.....we get all of our beef and pork from a family farm in Nebraska.  We are friends with the farmer and his family, we know what they feed their cows and pigs, and we know the care they take in every aspect of rasing healthy animals.......and we eat the hell out of them!

I think it's cool that you accept those gifts from family and friends and enjoy them.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-10-28 11:05 AM
2015-10-28 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

wait, I thought you had one daughter who was bucking the trend and leading you onto the path of righteous indignation

2015-10-28 11:19 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by autumn
Originally posted by Left Brain I know you were, Dave.....and next time I see you I'll give you some deer sausage. 
Dave might not agree with this, but I have some strange rules that keep me on a mostly vegan diet, but fit our life. One is related to hunting. My father-in-law, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law all deer hunt. I have many friends who own chickens (and we have considered it, in all honesty). If these folks bring me venison or eggs, I consider it a gift and am of a clear conscience when I consume it because I know exactly where the animal came from, the life they led while alive, and the manner of death (or harvest, in the case of the eggs). I also wear wool because I don't like wearing synthetics all the time, AND I won't give up drinking beer on cask just because it has isinglass in it. And just like all things, I am sure my 'exceptions' would offend some vegans. Not to go totally off track, but I posted in a vegan forum once how eating honey was not as bad as driving a car and people went bananas. "You have a choice to not eat honey, but you don't have a choice about driving a car". Its all choice and its all relative. Millions of bugs and animals are killed from vehicles every year, and some folks have a choice to not drive and do it anyway. Am I going to think you are a bad person for drinking a car and taking out a few squirrels and fireflies? Nope. If you feel you have to drive, that's your choice. Should you be cranky because I rock my Ibex when I ride through the Minnesota winter and end my day with a rad cask beer? Nope. Its all about respecting the fact that everyone has a different perspective and a plethora of different reasons why they live life the way thy do. What shuts down understanding is thinking your way is the only way and being dogmatic about it. And I still think she looks 12 and that the ad is in poor taste.

It's ok, I'm willing to accept you even though you're wrong

2015-10-28 11:50 AM

User image

Pro

wait, I thought you had one daughter who was bucking the trend and leading you onto the path of righteous indignation

Yep.....true enough.  But I kind of write her vegan-ness off along with everything else her and her teenage siblings now know.  In fact, they know things that I don't think anyone in the world knows.  They know things that that there isn't even knowledge attached to.  100 years from now people will marvel that my teenage kids already knew what they are just then knowing.  It's amazing.

2015-10-28 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

You know, I did a search to see what the socks thing was all about since I never heard about it....or cared.  I think that was also much ado about nothing.  I mean really.....who cares?  I would look at the sock, probably chuckle and shake my head, then throw it away.  Who gets wound up about this stuff?  There's so much stuff out there today that's in poor taste it is impossible to single one out......so why waste the time?

Oh....and for the "free publicity" thing.....I looked at a half dozen searches for the socks.....hell if I can remember what brand the stupid things were.

Just to be clear, I am one of the folks who got wound up about the socks, and here's why... I think they're hilarious. They made me laugh when I saw them, and I have a few male friends who have been wearing them on rides, and they're just stupid and funny and they look ridiculous. To each his own. If the sock company just made them and sold them, I would have NO problem with them whatsoever. Whatever floats your boat. If wearing stripper socks is funny to you, cool!

However, they were handed out in a welcome bag to EVERY attendee of the biggest professional mountain bike industry event in the country. This is a professional trade show. It would be like me attending an engineering or computer science convention in Vegas, and being handed something with naked chicks on it as a welcome gift. It wouldn't happen in other industries because it would be totally inappropriate, so why does it happen in the bike industry? Mountain biking, unlike triathlon, has a very masculine cool bro image to it that, quite frankly, keeps many women and young girls from wanting to participate or try it. Stuff like this, at the industry's biggest professional event, perpetuates that. I have female friends who work in the industry who work their off in trail advocacy and journalism, and showing up at a professional event and having this be the talk of the show belittles what they do every day as a career. 

So yeah, I get it - the socks are funny, they make you chuckle. Me too! It's not really about that, it's about the level of the event where they were handed out. Would they give something like that to your fellow police officers at a training event? Doubtful. Not professional, right? 

Obviously everyone's offended by different things, and I get that we should all just lighten up. But for the sake of my friends in the industry, and my daughter who I would love to get racing, and the high school mountain bike team I coached this year that was ONLY boys, I hope we can be just offended enough to say that yes, this stuff is funny, but it has no place at a professional event in an industry that is so desperately trying to include women (this particular tradeshow, ironically, had multiple breakout sessions and speakers talking about how to encourage women to take up the sport, and how to get them to spend lots of their $$$ on equipment and clothing).

2015-10-28 12:24 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stacers

You know, I did a search to see what the socks thing was all about since I never heard about it....or cared.  I think that was also much ado about nothing.  I mean really.....who cares?  I would look at the sock, probably chuckle and shake my head, then throw it away.  Who gets wound up about this stuff?  There's so much stuff out there today that's in poor taste it is impossible to single one out......so why waste the time?

Oh....and for the "free publicity" thing.....I looked at a half dozen searches for the socks.....hell if I can remember what brand the stupid things were.

Just to be clear, I am one of the folks who got wound up about the socks, and here's why... I think they're hilarious. They made me laugh when I saw them, and I have a few male friends who have been wearing them on rides, and they're just stupid and funny and they look ridiculous. To each his own. If the sock company just made them and sold them, I would have NO problem with them whatsoever. Whatever floats your boat. If wearing stripper socks is funny to you, cool!

However, they were handed out in a welcome bag to EVERY attendee of the biggest professional mountain bike industry event in the country. This is a professional trade show. It would be like me attending an engineering or computer science convention in Vegas, and being handed something with naked chicks on it as a welcome gift. It wouldn't happen in other industries because it would be totally inappropriate, so why does it happen in the bike industry? Mountain biking, unlike triathlon, has a very masculine cool bro image to it that, quite frankly, keeps many women and young girls from wanting to participate or try it. Stuff like this, at the industry's biggest professional event, perpetuates that. I have female friends who work in the industry who work their off in trail advocacy and journalism, and showing up at a professional event and having this be the talk of the show belittles what they do every day as a career. 

So yeah, I get it - the socks are funny, they make you chuckle. Me too! It's not really about that, it's about the level of the event where they were handed out. Would they give something like that to your fellow police officers at a training event? Doubtful. Not professional, right? 

Obviously everyone's offended by different things, and I get that we should all just lighten up. But for the sake of my friends in the industry, and my daughter who I would love to get racing, and the high school mountain bike team I coached this year that was ONLY boys, I hope we can be just offended enough to say that yes, this stuff is funny, but it has no place at a professional event in an industry that is so desperately trying to include women (this particular tradeshow, ironically, had multiple breakout sessions and speakers talking about how to encourage women to take up the sport, and how to get them to spend lots of their $$$ on equipment and clothing).

I get what you are saying......but you and I are never going to agree on the bolded part.  The biggest thing that keeps women and young girls out of "cool bro sports" is the pidgeon holes that the men in their lives put them in.  The actual participants in the sport like girls who can play too.....and girls can, they just don't get the chance because their dads or husbands or other male influences tell them they shouldn't/can't. 

My girls hunt, fish, play water polo, ride horses, do triathlon, whatever......and there has never been a single boy who was participating with them who discouraged them.  Like you, they'd laugh hysterically at those socks...but the fact that the socks exist have absolutely NO bearing on their participation....it simply never occurs to them that they can't do whatever they want....because that's the way we raised them and they never once heard their dad tell them that they couldn't.

My daughter who rides recently started doing cross country jumping......where we are that is the "man's event" in a sport (english dressage) dominated by girls.  My daughter doesn't care......and nobody else does either.

(jump.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
jump.bmp (731KB - 8 downloads)
2015-10-28 12:55 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

I get what you are saying......but you and I are never going to agree on the bolded part.  The biggest thing that keeps women and young girls out of "cool bro sports" is the pidgeon holes that the men in their lives put them in.  The actual participants in the sport like girls who can play too.....and girls can, they just don't get the chance because their dads or husbands or other male influences tell them they shouldn't/can't. 

Nah, I actually agree with you wholeheartedly about it being very much about the men in their lives. It's obvious from your posts here that you believe your girls can do whatever they want, and encourage them to do whatever they love. So you're a good male influence, a good dad. Any girl with a parent who treats them like they can do anything, will do what they please. My daughter did her first mountain bike race this summer, mostly because she's surrounded by people who give her a "Go for it!" message.

Where I differ in opinion is whether or not it's worth getting riled up about. I think it is, because not all girls have that - not all of them have a male influence in their lives AT ALL. So they get stuck with the bigger message that NO, they can't do that event, because no one is telling them they can, and the advertising surrounding that particular sport screams that she's not welcome. To me, it's worth trying to change things a bit so that THOSE girls get a chance too, not just your daughters, or mine. 

All the guys I know who just want a girlfriend who will mountain bike would probably love it if the industry made a bit of an effort too.

Edited by Stacers 2015-10-28 12:55 PM
2015-10-28 1:07 PM

User image

Pro

Nah, I actually agree with you wholeheartedly about it being very much about the men in their lives. It's obvious from your posts here that you believe your girls can do whatever they want, and encourage them to do whatever they love. So you're a good male influence, a good dad. Any girl with a parent who treats them like they can do anything, will do what they please. My daughter did her first mountain bike race this summer, mostly because she's surrounded by people who give her a "Go for it!" message.

Where I differ in opinion is whether or not it's worth getting riled up about. I think it is, because not all girls have that - not all of them have a male influence in their lives AT ALL. So they get stuck with the bigger message that NO, they can't do that event, because no one is telling them they can, and the advertising surrounding that particular sport screams that she's not welcome. To me, it's worth trying to change things a bit so that THOSE girls get a chance too, not just your daughters, or mine. 

All the guys I know who just want a girlfriend who will mountain bike would probably love it if the industry made a bit of an effort too.

Well, if you're fighting for the girls who don't know they can, and you think that kind of stuff makes a difference, go right on ahead.  I'm not a girl, and I don't raise my girls that way, so you may have a better handle on it being an issue than I do.  I don't like "cool bro dudes" anyway.

2015-10-28 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I looked at the ad and said, "meh".  For context, I have a niece that is a model and I have had to unfollow her on social media because her pictures are far more racy than that. I figure it is on me, so my answer over the years has been to turn the page and move on if I see something I don't like.

Now, to the point of making cycling (or any other activity) more available to women. Simply invite someone to ride with you.  We aren't going to "fix" society through indignation.  I've found it much more useful to build relationships.

2015-10-28 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Well, if you're fighting for the girls who don't know they can, and you think that kind of stuff makes a difference, go right on ahead.  I'm not a girl, and I don't raise my girls that way, so you may have a better handle on it being an issue than I do.  I don't like "cool bro dudes" anyway.

Well that's not cool, bro!

2015-10-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

Now, to the point of making cycling (or any other activity) more available to women. Simply invite someone to ride with you.  We aren't going to "fix" society through indignation.  I've found it much more useful to build relationships.

Which is why I lead women's rides once a week for most of the summer, help coach a high school team, and take my daughter and her friends biking on a regular basis. But if I didn't have a bit of indignation, I might not be so motivated to do all of the above

2015-10-29 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Which is why I lead women's rides once a week for most of the summer, help coach a high school team, and take my daughter and her friends biking on a regular basis. But if I didn't have a bit of indignation, I might not be so motivated to do all of the above

Thank you for being a person who puts action into place to fix that which is wrong.  As the father of 2 young ladies who have grown up to be independent and giving members of society, I believe that you are doing it right.  It would be really cool if there were more talk about how to fix the problems we face and the things that are wrong.  And less talk about how aggravated/offended we are about those problems.

I'm not taking shots at anyone, I have simply seen too often one response and not the other.

2015-10-29 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

This is exactly why I posted it as a question for discussion. Is naked Lance sexist? Where is the line? What am I riding this weekend? Not a 12 year old girl, that's for sure! For me - I find it annoying. True story - today I rode with my very first pair of clipless shoes (my puppy ate two other pairs). I bought these shoes in 1997 and it was the first year or second year that Sidi produced a womens specific shoe. Since then, things have gotten better. On my ride home tonight, I stopped at the shop my spouse works at to try on shoes so I can order some new ones, and there were four shelves of mens shoes and one shelf for the women. Its a huge improvement in 20 years, but that's still a huge disparity. Add in ads like that and socks like that - it creates a very dude centric image of cycling that will keep SOME women (not all women) from feeling welcome to participate in the sport. To use an aptly timed Thanksgiving analogy - women are still at the kids table as far as the industry marketing is concerned. You guys get the majority of the cool stuff, or at least get it first, and we get the lilac colored seconds. Purple colored bs can only go so far in making up for marketing that is 100% geared towards men. That's my opinion, being a woman who isn't shocked, but certainly annoyed by this stuff...and equally annoyed by having to sell stuff like womens specific bike pumps. They both royally miss the marketing mark.

I had a similar experience recently. I went to buy a new helmet and give the women's section a try first.  All of the helmets were teeny, pink or other pale colors, and had ponytail-designed straps.   Also, there were many many fewer options.  I had to buy a men's helmet to get any variety and in a size to fit my monster head. I must be one of few women with large brains.   I am fine with buying the men's stuff in this category, but it was the differences that struck me.  If you have a pony tail, you are doomed to a purple helmet.    If I wanted something more stylish, perhaps in hot pink or another color to match my other bike stuff, I'm out of luck.  It reminds me of the controversy over Target taking away the girl/boy categories for halloween costumes.  I guess if something can be unisex, I wish more things were.   

p.s. got a SUPER cool Kask helmet 

2015-10-29 8:13 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

p.s. got a SUPER cool Kask helmet 

I love Kask!!! A friend's husband is their rep and gave me one and it's my favorite helmet. Can't wait until the new mountain biking one comes out. AND, they're great for ponytails.They are a company that really encourages women in cycling, btw. They sponsor a huge women's ride in Europe (maybe Britain, I can't remember??), and I recently filled out a survey from them about what kinds of products women would like to see - they are trying, which is fantastic. 

2015-10-29 9:56 PM

User image

Pro

This is exactly why I posted it as a question for discussion. Is naked Lance sexist? Where is the line? What am I riding this weekend? Not a 12 year old girl, that's for sure! For me - I find it annoying. True story - today I rode with my very first pair of clipless shoes (my puppy ate two other pairs). I bought these shoes in 1997 and it was the first year or second year that Sidi produced a womens specific shoe. Since then, things have gotten better. On my ride home tonight, I stopped at the shop my spouse works at to try on shoes so I can order some new ones, and there were four shelves of mens shoes and one shelf for the women. Its a huge improvement in 20 years, but that's still a huge disparity. Add in ads like that and socks like that - it creates a very dude centric image of cycling that will keep SOME women (not all women) from feeling welcome to participate in the sport. To use an aptly timed Thanksgiving analogy - women are still at the kids table as far as the industry marketing is concerned. You guys get the majority of the cool stuff, or at least get it first, and we get the lilac colored seconds. Purple colored bs can only go so far in making up for marketing that is 100% geared towards men. That's my opinion, being a woman who isn't shocked, but certainly annoyed by this stuff...and equally annoyed by having to sell stuff like womens specific bike pumps. They both royally miss the marketing mark.

If I wanted something more stylish, perhaps in hot pink or another color to match my other bike stuff, I'm out of luck.

That's just not true.  You are never out of luck.  My daughter wears a hot pink Rudy Project helmet....and her bike (Trek Madone) had pink accents.  We have NEVER had a problem finding gear for her. (she wanted hot pick accents on her shoes too and ended up coloring some parts in herself with a hot pink sharpie....it looked sweet!) Sure, some stores didn't have what she wanted....but that's the same for guys too.  The store you went to didn't carry that crap because they can't sell it.....they carry it because that's what they DO sell.  You know who to blame for that, right?

2015-10-30 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

If I wanted something more stylish, perhaps in hot pink or another color to match my other bike stuff, I'm out of luck.

That's just not true.  You are never out of luck.  My daughter wears a hot pink Rudy Project helmet....and her bike (Trek Madone) had pink accents.  We have NEVER had a problem finding gear for her. (she wanted hot pick accents on her shoes too and ended up coloring some parts in herself with a hot pink sharpie....it looked sweet!) Sure, some stores didn't have what she wanted....but that's the same for guys too.  The store you went to didn't carry that crap because they can't sell it.....they carry it because that's what they DO sell.  You know who to blame for that, right?

You took out the entire rest of my story.  I was talking about helmets.  I do understand that the store is partly to "blame" in that it's not worth their while to stock every color of every helmet of every brand.   I am impressed, looking at the Rudy Project site, that they do have a wide variety of options and they are not separated by mens/womens.  

2015-10-30 9:54 AM

User image

Pro

You took out the entire rest of my story.  I was talking about helmets.  I do understand that the store is partly to "blame" in that it's not worth their while to stock every color of every helmet of every brand.   I am impressed, looking at the Rudy Project site, that they do have a wide variety of options and they are not separated by mens/womens.  

Ok, except that the rest of the part of your story is pretty much in line with what I quoted......girls are out of luck getting cool gear....and you aren't.  And for the record, I wasn't blaming the store, I was blaming you girls.....because that's what most of you (collective you) buy, so that's what the store stocks.  So, in that regard, I agree that it's hard for women like you, and my girls, and Stacer, and plenty of other girls, to just walk in and find something that works for you......but that will change with more participation, especially participation by women who DO know where to get the good stuff and wear it proudly.  Until then......you certainly have avenues for getting the same cool gear that they market for guys.  If you ever have doubts where to find it just ask me......my daughters have made it a primary mission in their lives to find all the coolest gear they can and have me buy it for them.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Colnago sexist? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

sexist vintage ads Pages: 1 2

Started by trishie
Views: 1828 Posts: 26

2009-08-09 7:48 PM deskjockeyjim