General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming drafting question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-27 9:10 PM

Subject: Swimming drafting question
I'm hoping for a top 3 finish in the swim leg of an upcoming 70.3. (one of my race goals). The fastest swimmer in my AG was about 2 minutes quicker than me in last years race. I'm thinking of jumping on his toes from the start and seeing if I can hang on. Is that realistic? Is there a figure that states, roughly, how much quicker you can go when drafting off the toes? I know hip drafting is quicker, but I struggle with that for long periods of time and find drafting off the feet easier.

2015-10-27 9:17 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Swimming drafting question

doable....if you can keep up with the inital burst.  Try the hip, easier to draft the hip than the toes

2015-10-27 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
There was an article on Facebook about this.

Found it..

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/11/training/drafting-swim-tips...

Drafting can save up to 38% of your energy so I would think you could do it provided you can stay with the leaders off the start.
2015-10-27 9:35 PM

User image

Pro

That first 200 will be your problem. 

2015-10-28 2:15 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Last year him and someone else just disappeared, no-one could catch them.
2015-10-28 3:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Agreed.  If you do manage to latch on then be wary of the turn buoys as well.

I've never really figured out hip drafting either, I always go to the feet as I find it easier.

2015-10-28 3:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by zedzded

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Last year him and someone else just disappeared, no-one could catch them.
My first question is are they doing the race again this year (Mandurah right?)?
If they get out in front of you with the current in the canals then you are going to be in some trouble because you wont be able to catch up. The deep water start might not help either make sure you stick close as soon as you get in.
2015-10-28 5:27 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK

If they get out in front of you with the current in the canals then you are going to be in some trouble because you wont be able to catch up. The deep water start might not help either make sure you stick close as soon as you get in.

Hey Stacey, yeah doing Mandurah. Are you doing it?

2015-10-28 6:59 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

Agreed.  If you do manage to latch on then be wary of the turn buoys as well.

I've never really figured out hip drafting either, I always go to the feet as I find it easier.

Drafting off the hip has a stronger draft but often times harder to stay in because both people swerve around a little in OWSing.

The initial 200 will be tough to hang with him, but also if he feels(sees) you there and wants to lose you he probably can.
2015-10-28 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Hey Stacey, yeah doing Mandurah. Are you doing it?

Nope. I have a sprint on the same day and a friend is doing her first tri. Also I'm not anywhere near up to doing a full HIM. I did the swim leg of Mandurah as part of a team. It was a pretty fast swim with the current and was wetsuit legal that year, amazingly hot though.

Maybe you should just tap the guy and the shoulder before you start and tell him you want to hang onto his feet and see if he will co-operate
2015-10-28 5:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York

The ONLY thing I HATE about this whole triathlon thing.

Good Luck Zed, curious how it goes

Edited by TJHammer 2015-10-28 5:30 PM

2015-10-28 10:57 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

I guess the main issue, is the start. I've had some bad wetsuit problems in the past that has resulted in some bad swims. Basically I wasn't putting it on right, just putting it on like a typical surfing wetsuit, unaware that you had to really pull the arms, legs and shoulders up. So the first 3 times I wore it, the chest was so tight it really constricted my breathing. So much so that after 200m I had to virtually stop and despite treading water and not really moving I still couldn't breathe. That's when I started panicking. Despite being a swimmer and spending most of my life in the ocean free diving, surfing, windsurfing etc there I was close to having a panic attack! A paddle border came over and had a chat and after a minute or 2 I could finally breathe. At this point I was dead last. I carried on swimming, but at 50%, as soon as I started working harder I could feel a tightness in my chest like someone was sitting on it. The next 2 races I had a similar problem, although not as bad and it resulted in me having to switch to breaststroke after 200m, get my breath and then carry on swimming at a slower pace than I would have liked. Eventually my coach helped me pinpoint the problem, showed me how to put it on and I haven't had an issue since. However I still have it hanging over me and always ensure the first 100 - 200 aren't too quick which can put me at a disadvantage as I'm a fop swimmer and this can result in me losing touch with the top guys. It's an important race so sprinting the first 200m probably isn't the smartest move. I have a sprint in 6 weeks that I'd like to do well in, but it's not as important so I will use that race s a test and go flat out from the start.
2015-10-29 12:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I was thinking that maybe you could go without the suit, but then I checked the weather. Its currently forecast to be cloudy and 24 so perfect racing weather but the water in those canals wont have had time to warm up by then so it will most likely be wet suit legal and if you go without and the guys you are trying to draft don't then you wont be able to keep up with them anyway.

Any chance you can get an OWS in this weekend just to settle your mind a bit? I went in last weekend at Woodman Point and the water was freezing so it might be a good test.

See you at Hillarys in six weeks time. I will be the one crossing the line last
2015-10-29 2:08 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

I was thinking that maybe you could go without the suit, but then I checked the weather. Its currently forecast to be cloudy and 24 so perfect racing weather but the water in those canals wont have had time to warm up by then so it will most likely be wet suit legal and if you go without and the guys you are trying to draft don't then you wont be able to keep up with them anyway.

Any chance you can get an OWS in this weekend just to settle your mind a bit? I went in last weekend at Woodman Point and the water was freezing so it might be a good test.

See you at Hillarys in six weeks time. I will be the one crossing the line last

I did Rotto long course 2 weeks ago and went well in the swim. Not a slow start, but not quick. So I've had time in the wetsuit and I feel great in it. But that feeling that you can't breathe came on so quick last time it happened you can't really anticipate it and it makes me loathe to sprint in it, if it happens again it could ruin my whole race. I think what I'll try and do is gradually build over 200 - 300m to sprinting pace see who is around me, hook onto their toes and relax into race pace.
2015-11-08 7:01 PM

Originally posted by TJHammer

Good Luck Zed, curious how it goes

Well the 70.3 went well, finally broke 5 hours with a 4.57. Swim was OK, not quite to plan, finishing 7th. I hooked straight onto the toes of the guy who's fastest in my AG, along with another guy and the 3 of us swam together keeping up a decent pace, but as we were one of the last waves to go we hit a lot of traffic, all the slow swimmers from the waves before us and it was mayhem, having to waterpolo swim, zig zagging through the swimmers, over the top of them and I quickly lost sight of the guys I was drafting off. He finished 3 minutes ahead of me, pretty confident I could have stayed on his feet the whole way if it wasn't for the traffic.
2015-11-08 7:04 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer Good Luck Zed, curious how it goes
Well the 70.3 went well, finally broke 5 hours with a 4.57. Swim was OK, not quite to plan, finishing 7th. I hooked straight onto the toes of the guy who's fastest in my AG, along with another guy and the 3 of us swam together keeping up a decent pace, but as we were one of the last waves to go we hit a lot of traffic, all the slow swimmers from the waves before us and it was mayhem, having to waterpolo swim, zig zagging through the swimmers, over the top of them and I quickly lost sight of the guys I was drafting off. He finished 3 minutes ahead of me, pretty confident I could have stayed on his feet the whole way if it wasn't for the traffic.

Strong work.....congrats!

2015-11-08 7:10 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Happy it went well. Or at least ok enough in the swim to not aggravate. But that moment when traffic causes all sorts of alternative plans affecting time gotta be frustrating. Way to remain focused. I did a sprint tri this summer in Jersey that had a good amount of competitors total. All distances and divisions were time trial starts, , there was limtied chaos and that piranhas look of fish in the water. It was the most comfortable I felt in an event swim, Wish they all did it that way. Congrats
2015-11-08 7:52 PM

Originally posted by TJHammer Good Luck Zed, curious how it goes

Strong work.....congrats!

Thanks
2015-11-08 7:56 PM

Originally posted by TJHammer

Happy it went well. Or at least ok enough in the swim to not aggravate. But that moment when traffic causes all sorts of alternative plans affecting time gotta be frustrating. Way to remain focused. I did a sprint tri this summer in Jersey that had a good amount of competitors total. All distances and divisions were time trial starts, , there was limtied chaos and that piranhas look of fish in the water. It was the most comfortable I felt in an event swim, Wish they all did it that way. Congrats

Thanks I've had 2 70.3s now where I've hit a lot of traffic, going to have to work on managing that a bit better.
2015-11-09 2:45 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TJHammer Happy it went well. Or at least ok enough in the swim to not aggravate. But that moment when traffic causes all sorts of alternative plans affecting time gotta be frustrating. Way to remain focused. I did a sprint tri this summer in Jersey that had a good amount of competitors total. All distances and divisions were time trial starts, , there was limtied chaos and that piranhas look of fish in the water. It was the most comfortable I felt in an event swim, Wish they all did it that way. Congrats
Thanks I've had 2 70.3s now where I've hit a lot of traffic, going to have to work on managing that a bit better.

Nice work!  It's a tough situation for sure.  My last 70.3 was similar - I was in a group of 5 or 6, I was at the back left and when we caught a couple of swimmers the group went around right and I didn't see them until the last second and went around left and boom, I was off the back and never caught back on.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming drafting question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4053 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3458 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting in a non Draft legal

Started by xcrunner2010
Views: 1632 Posts: 16

2009-06-11 10:26 PM xcrunner2010

Bike Drafting vs. Swim Drafting

Started by jjweav
Views: 1130 Posts: 13

2006-04-20 4:16 PM KSH

draft or no draft

Started by runmacride
Views: 1137 Posts: 13

2004-09-15 10:33 AM Tiger Phil
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : September 5, 2004
author : USATriathlon
Position rule violations during triathlon racing.

author : Team BT
Important terms and definitions for many words encountered in the world of triathlons
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.