Milford, New Hampshire
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 14h 02m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

I forgot to even do my leg swings, honestly. But at least I had on really thick sweatpants and a warm jacket right up until we lined up.
Run
  • 14h 02m
  • 50 miles
  • 16m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Shana came out to run with me. She complained about being undertrained but didn't appear to have any significant difficulty staying with me the ENTIRE time instead of dropping when she got tired and then coming back to help me finish. Also, she did this race in 2013 and her time for 50 was just over 11 hours, so I was obviously the limiting factor. We set off. I was determined to hold a steady pace and so made sure I stayed comfortable on the way out. At the 7.5 mile turnaround, it was 10:46--our pace was approximately 13:20/mile. I was a little concerned that that would feel comfortable. I had half a donut, a tiny PBJ tortilla roll, and a couple other things, picked up my water bottle belt, and we headed back. We weren't too long there the first time. I had planned a run-walk strategy for after the first turnaround, but I was feeling good and having Shana with me made me feel a little silly walking as much as I'd planned so early on. We mostly ran. Arriving at Tevya, we were singing all the silly camp songs we could remember and we got the giggles something fierce. On our way back, I had noticed my right knee was hurting. So when we got to Tevya, Shana re-did my taping and we talked with Mom, Dad and Kern for a little bit. It was a long stop, but I had to have that knee working (this time is in our next loop). When we arrived back at Camp Tevya, completing our first loop, we'd spent 3:32--a 14:13 pace for the first loop.

The second time out it was getting gray. No rain, for which all of us were grateful, but the cheery morning sun had gone and it wouldn't return. Everything went smoothly and I didn't notice my right knee again, though my left knee would get a little gimpy late in the game. We mostly ran, walked some back to the DPW. We both started hitting the broth at the powerline aid station, though I was so happy to see PBJ quarters on either end. We stopped at the DPW for longer than we should have, but we were both still feeling good and unconcerned, even though I knew we weren't moving fast enough. At Melendy, when we met Dad, Kern and Mom for the halfway point, we were both pretty pleased with ourselves for continuing to feel good, but I looked at my watch--one of maybe three times that I did during the race--I realized it had taken us 6.5 hours for 25 miles. I had to force myself not to be disappointed and start beating myself up over not even hitting my 15:00/mile "if all else fails" pace--there was no point and it would only make the second half harder. We arrived back at Tevya for the second time, 30 miles, at 7:46, making our pace 15:32/mile. I knew it was partly due to the re-taping and our long stops, but I wasn't happy with that.

We headed out for the third time. We were definitely walking more, but also playing 20 questions (we were never even close to 20--we just kept guessing til we got it!) and singing. Shana had a vest with lights, I had my flashlight and headlamp. We discovered that Shana's vest didn't cut it for trail running, so I gave her my flashlight. My headlamp was so much better (and she was still concerned about outrunning me), so I led when we needed to go single file. More broth and some munchies at the power line; such an awesome aid station! Arrived at the DPW and it was cold. They had their fire going and food on it, along with soup over at the table. I went to the bathroom there and on my way walking in, I felt my end-of-long-run overemotional tears pricking my eyelids. I refused to cry because I really didn't feel that bad, I was just overwrought and it was now dark and cold. While Shana stopped in the bathroom, I traded my light techwick jacket for a serious UnderArmour sweatshirt and put on gloves. I was still cold. As soon as Shana had traded her jacket and gotten her mittens (yes, wool mittens!) we were off again. Starting out was awful. We had stopped too long. I was stiff and my toes felt like they'd been pounded and I was so cold. I said we had to jog more to warm up. We made it maybe 30 seconds the first time, a minute the second, and then we were good. We were warm and comfortable again by the Melendy crossing, where the crew met us with Coke. Broth and cinnamon rolls (may John Bigl live forever in comfortable happiness for that) at the powerlines. We met the crew at Pumpkin Alley on the bridge because we wanted them to see all the fantastic jack o lanterns. We had to keep walking fast, and so we left them behind pretty quickly. It was shortly before we arrived back at Tevya, probably around mile 43-44, that things fell apart for me. I was tired and colder than I wanted to be because we'd been walking nearly all the way after Melendy because of the rocks and roots--we knew we would trip and not be able to catch ourselves. Shana did fall once during this loop and her right hip was now rather unhappy with her. Walking back to Tevya felt a little like failure though. I was sore, but nothing felt injured. We had told the crew that we had to do a very fast turnaround this time--just couldn't stand like we did at the DPW. I was fighting tears anyway, so I gulped my flatted ginger beer, ate a quarter of PBJ, and took a broth for the road and started walking away. Mom wanted a picture and I said, "Not right now." Shana said, "But she really wants one..." I just kept walking. Our third loop was 4:43, giving us an 18:52/mile pace.

Heading back out was really really hard. I kept telling myself that five miles was just one hour, even though I knew I was lying through my teeth because 12 minutes miles were pure fantasy. I didn't look at my watch, just walked as fast as I could. Shana complained about my longer legs and said I was the fastest power walker in the world--she was trying so hard to buoy me back up. There was no doing that. I couldn't come back up. But there was never a point at which I actually considered quitting a real option. I might be blowing my nose regularly and swiping at my face and hissing with every exhale, but I was going to make my 50. The crew met us on the road part and Kern gave me his giant wool mittens with handwarmers inside. It took one mini-misery away and I was grateful for that. We turned around at the Scabbard Mill Brook/rail trail turn arrow pumpkin (best directional signals ever!). The crew passed us in the car, yelling encouragement, as we headed back down the road. We were watching for the lake through the woods. Our lights kept drifting right, and I was first to see it. The good news that we were within a mile of the finish almost made me whimper. When we reached the pavement of the camp, I started singing "She'll be coming 'round the mountain" and Shana joined in. We finished on "They'll all come out to greet her when she comes", both of us saying "Yay!" after the first line! We went down around the bridge and cone and came back for a final time of 14:02. Our last 5 miles were 18:36/mile.
What would you do differently?:

I should have stuck a lot closer to my run/walk plan. I shouldn't have stopped for so long at the aid stations (with the exception of re-taping).
Post race
Warm down:

I hobbled to the car, holding onto Kern. Shana and I were so cold we made Dad blast the heat until the car was probably around 85 degrees. We both slept on the way home. Walking the 30 feet from the car to my front door had me so cold my hands were shaking when I put the key in the lock and I was chattering and shivering. I cranked the heat in my apartment, we both took hot showers, and then fell into bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to run faster in general :) I would change my training next time to incorporate more functional strength and also running drills. I think I would focus on speed more and reduce my mileage for longer; saving the really long runs for a little later.

Event comments:

This is the best race. A wonderful race director (Steve Latour) who responds promptly to any questions and an aid station volunteer who "owns" the aid station--John Bigl had a fire, homemade stew, piping hot broth, salty and sweet munchies, a porta-potty, Tailwind and water, and jack o lanterns--I heard another racer call it "Biglsville" and I would say that's accurate. There were jack o lanterns and skeletal ghosts to indicate turns and in some cases simply for fun. The course is made for PRs, my time notwithstanding, being pretty much pancake flat except for one hill. I loved this race.

Last updated: 2015-10-28 12:00 AM
Running
14:02:00 | 50 miles | 16m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
7.5~ 1:40 (~13:20/mile) 15--3:32 (14:56/mile) 25--~6:30 (~17:48/mile) 30--7:46 (15:12/mile) 45--12:29 (18:52/mile) 50--14:02 (18:36/mile)
Course: Beautiful.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-28 7:13 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ghost Train Trail ultra

2015-10-28 8:42 PM
in reply to: #5149446

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ghost Train Trail ultra

Congrats!!!! GReat accomplishment!

2015-10-28 11:28 PM
in reply to: #5149446

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ghost Train Trail ultra

Thanks for the great writeup, and congrats on the finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ghost Train Trail ultra Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ghost Train Trail ultra

Started by hdhtri
Views: 1502 Posts: 3

2014-11-04 11:11 AM KWDreamun

Winona Lake Trail Ultra

Started by jfought
Views: 1531 Posts: 13

2012-04-20 10:04 AM doxie

Clinton Lake Ultra: 30 mile Trail Run

Started by jcash683
Views: 1794 Posts: 1

2010-04-11 8:24 PM jcash683

The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix

Started by dragoman
Views: 1164 Posts: 2

2010-04-08 1:21 PM JMINPNW

Ultra 10-Mile Trail Run

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1203 Posts: 6

2008-08-11 5:34 PM enders_shadow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.