General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lyrica - Performance enhancer? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-28 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: Lyrica - Performance enhancer?
I'm taking Lyrica for neck pain. When I ride, I feel lactic acid burn in my thighs when I'm really hammering it. Thing is, it doesn't bother me while using Lyrica. My heart rate is up, power is up, I'm breathing hard, everything normally associated with a hard effort is there, including the burn. But the burn is not a limiter anymore, I have to let up when I can't get in enough air and my muscles fatigue! Anyone else using it?

Prior to Lyrica, my Doc had me try gabapentin. It completely masked the lactic acid burn in my legs. I felt nothing. Other side effects were really bizarre, so he put me on Lyrica. Has anybody else noticed the same effects when using either of these drugs? Is it banned? I can't seem to find anywhere listing it as a banned substance for athletes.

Edited by mdg2003 2015-10-28 1:34 PM

2016-01-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Subject: RE: Lyrica - Performance enhancer?
From looking at the different websites, it looks like Lyrica and the Gabapentin both are psychoactive drugs. This may be why they are both used prominently for epilepsy as well. My thinking is that you are disassociated from the pain caused by the lactic acid burn. It's still there, but it's not affecting your performance due to the meds.

Here's what the USAT and WTC have adopted:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Elite_and_Age-Group_Doping_2041....

after reading it, I think you're fine to keeps using it. Even for true performance enhancing drugs, the only thing that is needed is a declaration of use.

So short version is you should be okay : )
2016-01-12 5:51 PM
in reply to: azuro

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by azuro

From looking at the different websites, it looks like Lyrica and the Gabapentin both are psychoactive drugs. This may be why they are both used prominently for epilepsy as well. My thinking is that you are disassociated from the pain caused by the lactic acid burn. It's still there, but it's not affecting your performance due to the meds.

Here's what the USAT and WTC have adopted:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Elite_and_Age-Group_Doping_2041....

after reading it, I think you're fine to keeps using it. Even for true performance enhancing drugs, the only thing that is needed is a declaration of use.

So short version is you should be okay : )

when not sure, use this

http://www.globaldro.com/US/search/input

so for example
http://www.globaldro.com/US/search/brand-status/dUsvYUVFajU0cmd1Sm4...
2016-01-17 7:25 AM
in reply to: #5149578

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Gabapentin (neurontin) blocks the GABA receptors, thus can block pain signals. Worked for me for some recent neurological pain. I can see where this would nicely block pain sensation from lactic acid buildup.
2016-01-20 3:43 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
I've stopped taking it because side effects were showing up. Kind of hinky for a few days too, as it tended to give me some nausea in the AM. Appetite absolutely bottomed too. My best advice is to stay away from it if at all possible. Now I need to find something less aggressive to ride...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lyrica - Performance enhancer? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Antibiotic effect on performance?

Started by whumphrey
Views: 2373 Posts: 4

2007-08-12 5:19 PM sue7013

accutane and athletic performance

Started by jpsgoldengirl
Views: 1005 Posts: 2

2006-03-01 7:52 PM sauna66

Dietary Supplements for aches, pain, and performance - avoiding gimics.

Started by figue
Views: 1158 Posts: 1

2004-10-02 3:03 PM figue
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : April 10, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Look At the Banned Substance EPO