General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming.. tell me it gets easier! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-31 11:33 AM

Subject: Swimming.. tell me it gets easier!
Hey all.

I've signed up to my first ever triathlon on the 1st of January. I'm a regular runner and cyclist and am generally quite fit overall, so I thought I'd be fine doing the short swim despite not having swam properly since primary school! Its only 400m, in a pool... I'm confident at this distance in breaststroke but I'm determined to be able to do it all front crawl except I'm finding front crawl exhausting!

My current routine is 100m breaststroke, 200m front crawl, 100 breast, 200 front, 100 breast.. with lots of breathing breaks! I'm a student and am too skint to sign up for lessons at the moment, though i've been studying YouTube videos on technique and form. Am I right to just keep going with this? Has anyone got any words of wisdom? I'm swimming 3x a week and I'm determined to nail this over the next 2 months!

Thanks!
Jen

2015-10-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: #5150015

Subject: RE: Swimming.. tell me it gets easier!
Hi ..it gets easier! I used to need CPR after 1 length! You can already do 200m x2 in one session so your doing really well. Increase by 25s each week! the more you swim the easier it is! I used to be really breathless in part because I was king ing my legs frantically which is using really big muscles which will tire you quickly. I was also trying to go to fast so slowing down a bit was better. Keep going you can definately do it and by the way you will see althletic looking men and women who do the whole swim in breastroke.
2015-10-31 5:12 PM
in reply to: jennrtri

Words of wisdom, hardly.

I have no idea about your current level. However, if you are starting, you may be doing the same mistake multiple beginners do, taking huge breaths out of fear of lacking air.

I'll give you two advice I give my friends who start swimming:
1-breathe normally.
2-try to glide. Once in a while, do a lap easy rhythm and try to glide as much as possible. See if you are dragging, stoping, if you feel resistance. It should feel like you cut through water, not like you drag water. If you feel like water is brining you to a stop then try to see what is causing resistence. Do you forget to raise the arms out of water (swim large), do you swim with bent knees (causes a bad posture) and so forth. The more efficient you become, the lesser effort and greather result you will get.

You would learn a lot from a master club or from lessons. Maybe you will find one very cheap around you. Or see if there is a fellow triathlete or swimmer who could help you here and there.
2015-10-31 6:05 PM

Originally posted by jennrtri

Hey all.

I've signed up to my first ever triathlon on the 1st of January. I'm a regular runner and cyclist and am generally quite fit overall, so I thought I'd be fine doing the short swim despite not having swam properly since primary school! Its only 400m, in a pool... I'm confident at this distance in breaststroke but I'm determined to be able to do it all front crawl except I'm finding front crawl exhausting!

My current routine is 100m breaststroke, 200m front crawl, 100 breast, 200 front, 100 breast.. with lots of breathing breaks! I'm a student and am too skint to sign up for lessons at the moment, though i've been studying YouTube videos on technique and form. Am I right to just keep going with this? Has anyone got any words of wisdom? I'm swimming 3x a week and I'm determined to nail this over the next 2 months!

Thanks!
Jen

Can you get someone to video you and upload it to here. You will receive some excellent advice. You're obviously reasonably fit, getting exhausted whilst swimming is probably due to poor body position e.g dragging your legs hard to say without seeing you though.
2015-10-31 10:03 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
It totally gets easier - so easy that it's little more than a ritual for dedicated HIM and IM athletes.

You'll hear that freestyle is half fitness, half form, but you can get by with minimal form for a while. When you can, it will be best to go to masters with a good coach. Later. (I joke that I started swimming at the Dr Sheldon Cooper school of swimming on Youtube - from the Big Bang Theory character who learned to swim on the floor via the Internet). You can pick up the wrong lessons from the Internet, but a coach can fix those later. I've seen stuff on line from Swim Smooth that works well, so well that they it's a common source for drills at masters.

And here's a tip for your first tri. You can take the pressure off of a mass start by letting the gun fire and waiting for the count of 10 before you start. 10s rarely makes a difference at the finish, but can mean a lot for your first tri swim.

2015-11-01 12:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Swimming is fun, eh.  It does get easier but it really helps a lot to have someone watching you and telling you how to modify your stroke.  I started out swimming 50m (there and back) then clinging to the wall in the shallow end for several minutes to catch my breath.  It wasn't until one day I swam with four people in the lane and we were swimming freestyle.  The person ahead of me was swimming a bit slower than I thought we should be but I decided to stay behind.  Forcing myself to swim slower we wound up swimming a continuous 750m and the whole time I was amazed I was still going and breathing fine.

So, first thing is to SLOW down.  If you swim your fastest 25m at the start of a set you'll quickly burn out.  Pace yourself so you are as fast at the end of the set as at the start.  Ignore all other swimmers and swim your own pace.  Also slow your kicking down and don't bend your knees.  Kick from your hips.  If your thighs are burning you're doing it wrong.  Try to get your legs high enough that your heels are breaking the surface of the water.  If your legs are a couple feet below the surface it creates a lot of drag and takes a lot of energy.  It may seem counter intuitive but if you want to swim better/faster slow down.  Later you'll do sprints and build speed.

The video is a great idea.  I thought I was swimming great until I saw a video of myself.  I was dragging my feet quite low and my stroke was really bad.  Everyone thinks their form is fine until they see video.  If you can't afford a few lessons then talk to a friend that is a good swimmer.  You may get some bad advice but it will still help.  I swim with a group and it makes a big difference.

As stated above, breath normally and exhale while your face is in the water.  By exhaling you can inhale easier and more fully.  When you're breathing don't raise your head out of the water (half your goggles should remain in the water at all times.  Raising your head takes a lot of energy to tire you out and it slows you down.  I also breath with every second stroke rather than bilateral breathing.  Once you get comfortable you can work on bilateral breathing later.

Pay attention to your stroke.  Your hands should be vertical as soon as your hand enters the water and you are pulling with your hand and forearm.  Play with it as you swim a length and feel the water.  You should also play with your fingers as you swim.  Some splaying of the fingers will increase your pull but not too wide or you'll lose some pull power.  I find about 1/4" apart works for me.

Swimming is hard because there are so many nuances to it but it sure feels good when it all comes together.  

One last thing - How often are you swimming?  Once a week is way too low.  I swim 3 times per week (consistently for 3.5 years) and only recently found out I should be swimming more often.

2015-11-01 5:12 AM
in reply to: loops

User image

It gets easier but you need good form. You can be fit as a fiddle but if your swim form is bad it doesn't really matter! A coach is ideal but these cost money.

It seems like you can do the distance already so you'll be fine, but focusing on a few points mean you'll get out the pool fresher. The ones I am working on at the moment are:

1. Look downwards. You need to be aware of your surroundings so you can look up whenever you want but getting your head in the right position will improve your whole body position.

2. Engage your core. Difficult to explain but the aim is to use your core to drive your leg kick, and leverage the work your upper body is doing.

3. Glide! (This was mentioned earlier) Rather than windmilling your arms, leave your leading arm outstretched for a moment. You wont lose speed.

2015-11-01 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5150032

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Post a vid of your swimming.
2015-11-02 8:27 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

, Tennessee
Very good advice stated above. Speedo has some good videos on Youtube that break the stroke down step-by-step which I found very helpful. I am also an adult onset swimmer and I struggled for awhile, but I encourage you to be persistent and get in the pool as often as you can. I am finally starting to make some real gains after adjusting my stroke, incorporating some drills, and being just plain stubborn and refusing to stop at the wall. I broke 2:00/100 yd today for the first time and while that is still pitifully slow compared to most on these forums it was huge for me. It does get easier but you MUST work on your stroke and get in the pool at least 3x a week. We just moved and I am hoping to find a masters swim club nearby (even though I am terrified of it being slow and very much a beginner swimmer).
2015-11-02 9:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

It gets easier ... but then you're better at it and want to go faster, which means you put more effort in ... so no, I guess not

You're doing great. Spend some time on the http://www.swimsmooth.com site ... simple, outstanding, videos and illustrations, advice for every level that is so easy to do.

2015-11-02 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Use a pull buoy so you can isolate your upper body for a couple of weeks.
Isolate your legs by pushing off the wall and flutter kick while you are 2 feet underwater. Go until you need to breathe.

In a couple weeks, bring the two together.

2015-11-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

Hello All!

I would love to make myself available for any and all swim help for your triathlon training! My name is Josh Graham, I am a swim coach at Davidson College in North Carolina. I have been writing swimming workout plans for Triathletes for a couple of years now, as well as analyzing video for them. Let me know if you want any technical feedback or if you are interested in a training plan!

Train smart,

Josh Graham
2015-11-03 1:01 PM
in reply to: josh.h.graham@gmail.

User image

Josh, please IM me if you'd be interested in doing a guest blog post?

Cheers

2015-11-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

It gets easier ... but then you're better at it and want to go faster, which means you put more effort in ... so no, I guess not

You're doing great. Spend some time on the http://www.swimsmooth.com site ... simple, outstanding, videos and illustrations, advice for every level that is so easy to do.

Ha, that's what I was thinking - it doesn't get easier because you work harder to improve and go faster. But it's all good. The stroke does get easier - and there gets to be an 'easy' pace where you can have different effort levels. 

2015-11-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
I am a living proof it gets easier! I just did full lap in freestyle (twice!) and did not feel ANY of the awfulness I felt before (anxiety, panic, what's going on with my breath, I'm dying, where is the wall...) I actually felt I could have done more. If you find my posts from 6 months ago - I was so against freestyle I was about to cry

Good luck with your training
Mary
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming.. tell me it gets easier! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running doesn't seem to be getting any easier?

Started by nc452010
Views: 3375 Posts: 14

2010-05-05 7:45 AM Scout7

Please tell me it gets eaiser!

Started by billsfan200474
Views: 1223 Posts: 11

2008-04-07 3:24 PM Aikidoman

Please tell me this gets easier (swimming) Pages: 1 2

Started by mscotthall
Views: 2255 Posts: 28

2007-01-22 7:31 AM gsmacleod

Getting jittery about a planned easy week

Started by jackjack
Views: 941 Posts: 9

2006-03-31 2:32 PM tnt2tri

lake swims, tell me it gets easier!!!

Started by FitMama
Views: 891 Posts: 8

2004-08-05 11:34 AM soupaman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
How to improve continuously…no matter how long you swim.
date : September 11, 2004
author : Total Immersion
The essentials of stroke count with respect to freestyle swimming.