General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Palm Springs Oly Tri - anyone?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-10-31 11:54 PM

Subject: HITS Palm Springs Oly Tri - anyone??
Hi, new here. I've only done one sprint tri and I didn't take it very seriously. But this time around I'm far more invested, and excited I'm signed up for the HITS Palm Springs Olympic tri for December 6 and I'm doing it alone (lol) so I'm wondering if there's any other solo people out there also doing this tri.

2015-11-05 12:47 PM
in reply to: Highlife.himalayas

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: HITS Palm Springs Oly Tri - anyone??
I'll be doing the Olympic as well, but as a relay with a buddy who is going to run. I have done the race there a few times and it is a nice flat and fast course. They do a good job putting on the race. It feels like there are less people there in December run by HITS than in March with Klein Clark. The water will be COLD, hopefully we will get some nice weather. You won't be the only one going solo for the event.
2015-11-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: #5150072

User image

What will be your strategy for the COLD swim? I'm relaying the half on Saturday.
2015-11-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: magliato

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by magliato

What will be your strategy for the COLD swim? I'm relaying the half on Saturday.

There are colder swims out there, so I shouldn't build that up too much. But my feet were frozen until half way through the run when I did the race in 2013. I didn't do anything special, some people go with booties and the neoprene cap, but looking back I wouldn't have done that anyway. It was cold but I just powered through. Winter in the desert is all over the place, could be beautiful and warm or miserably cold. We will hope for one of those warm days.
2015-11-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5150909

I'm extremely worried about the water temp. I did buy a neoprene cap but I know it won't be enough. Anyone know any OWS that can prepare me for this temp? I considered Big Bear but water temp dropped to 53 this week. I swim in the ocean a lot but it's still pretty warm, 70s I've read. Thoughts? I'm REALLY BAD about cold water so I def need to acclimate my body.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Palm Springs Oly Tri - anyone?? Rss Feed