General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shingles - When can I go back to training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-04 2:24 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Shingles - When can I go back to training
I am recovering from a case of Shingles; other than major surgery it is the most painful thing I have ever been through. I am 49 years old, my blister and scabs are gone and there is only a little discoloration now. I do not want a relapse - I AM WONDERING WHEN I CAN GO BACK TO TRAINING? Any thoughts?

2015-11-04 2:28 PM
in reply to: wrestlingcoach

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Shingles - When can I go back to training
Yikes, my dad had a rough case of shingles a few years ago, and it doesn't sound pleasant. Did your doctor give you any guidance?
2015-11-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

New user

Nothing more than - "Wait until the scabs and blisters are gone." I just do not want a relapse.
2015-11-04 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I had a case hit a month before an Oly a few years back.  I feel (at least have felt) your pain as there is nothing quite like the rubbing of a jersey on the affected area during a ride when you are nice and sweaty.  I waited until the blisters had all scabbed over and got started again with no problem.  My doc said nothing about a relapse being caused by increasing activity, her advice was to let pain be my guide.  I'd suggest once you are fully cleared of this outbreak you get the vaccine, even if insurance doesn't cover it as having had shingles does not give you immunity.  At least that was my thinking as I NEVER want to experience that particular slice of heaven ever again.

2015-11-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

New user

The Doctor said I have to wait a year for the vaccine. I will get it next November.
2015-11-05 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Hope you recover soon. I had the chicken pox about 10 years ago and it almost killed me as an adult with temperatures of 104. I got the shingles vaccine this year and glad I did. My insurance covered it 100% which made me happier since the cost was $200.

I wouldn't rush getting back until you are fully recovered. I would worry the higher body temperature could impact the recovery but I am not a doctor but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Again, get well soon.

2015-11-05 10:11 PM

As tolerated. You are infectious to others until it starts crusting over, but that will only effect people who've never had chicken pox or not vaccinated. Intense workout my suppress you immune system and thus delay healing, but you are already in the recovery period. So as I said as tolerated. Pain from your shingles may be your limiting factor. Don't worry about relapse though. Your body should be mounting a defense for another attack (i.e. antibodies, they remember the virus so when they see it again it will attack it right away. it is how vaccines work).
I work in infectious disease so I have some expertise.
2015-11-05 11:39 PM
in reply to: #5150723

User image

Expert
Took me six months after mine. Yours will be yours and your own time.

Mine was mostly on the side of my head above the ear. The nerve pain was so bad I often could not see or hear on that side. Few ER trips and a spinal tap to top things off.

I did not work out for 6 months straight when I had shingles. Once better I trained for 5 weeks and did a local 70.3. That race hurt, but no where near the same level as peak shingles for me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shingles - When can I go back to training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training with Shingles

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 12839 Posts: 22

2021-04-24 2:21 AM harberxkun

How soon after strep throat did you go back to training

Started by jillian_o
Views: 2990 Posts: 3

2013-06-09 6:19 PM jillian_o

How to train for a "Back to back"

Started by Joblin
Views: 1450 Posts: 18

2011-03-08 10:32 AM KathyG

best training approach to back to back sprint Tri's

Started by dbosanko
Views: 1058 Posts: 4

2011-01-09 4:46 PM dbosanko

school me on back-to-back long training runs

Started by JoshKaptur
Views: 5277 Posts: 10

2010-11-08 6:00 PM Focker
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : January 17, 2011
Can running worsen spinal stenosis? Is it possible to compete in triathlons with this condition?

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
A lot of us don’t spend too much time worrying about stretching and strengthening exercises for our lower back.