General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A good way to say goodbye Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-05 11:42 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: A good way to say goodbye
If you've read any of my posts I'm sure you're aware of my distaste for drivers in south Florida. And it's not just opinion; this is the most worst state for pedestrian and cyclist fatalities, and not by a little bit. It is twice as deadly here as the second worst state and something like 6-7 times as bad as just about anywhere else. The biggest issue is very few people stop at stop sign...most don't even slow down and I've been hit and seen too many others hit over the years here to stand. One of the last straws for moving here was my wife coming across a scene of a bloodied cyclist on the road when he was hit by a car running a stop sign. Anyway, for that and many other personal and professional reasons we moved to Texas. I'm back today in Florida to meet the movers and I went for a run. True to form, multiple cars blew stop signs but right at the end of the run a guy went through an intersection going no less than 20 mph and came scary close to hitting me. He went through that stop sign so fast I barely had time to stop. But what was even faster where the lights on the undercover police car that was right behind him. This is him getting pulled over. I thanked the cop, waved graciously to the driver and snapped a photo. It took four years, but I finally got some sort of justice.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (137KB - 2 downloads)

2015-11-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: A good way to say goodbye

Glad you're okay - that is scary. But how awesome is that?? How many times do you wish that a cop would be there and today it was! I hope that guy got a big fat ticket! 

2015-11-05 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hope the drivers in Houston treat you well!  There are a handful of jerks, but nothing like what you described.  How sweet it must have been to see those lights come on

2015-11-05 12:38 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Welcome to Texas!!

2015-11-05 12:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New Lenox, Illinois
Wow, that's crazy. Glad you are now some place where you can focus more on training and less on worrying.

I didn't know Florida was so bad. Ignorant drivers? Distracted? Bad policing so they think they can get away with it? Sun in the eyes? Any ideas? haha.

Edited by dlaude6 2015-11-05 12:38 PM
2015-11-05 1:08 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Yes. Drivers in south Florida are ridiculously rude and careless though many are just senile. I got hit on a crosswalk just last week from a car that was actually stopped at the stop sign yet they decided to slam on the gas as I was halfway. I had to hop off their hood. It seems every day I slam on my brakes from people punching out of their parking spaces without even looking. Then they cuss you out for being there. This is why I refuse to bike on the side of the road and happily run circles at the park. I even see fatalities in the news from bikers getting hit.

Edited by runtim23 2015-11-05 1:16 PM

2015-11-05 1:19 PM
in reply to: dlaude6

User image

Katy, Texas
There's a couple things I've seen:

Lack of enforcement is a big one. From what I understand there is a loophole in the laws in Broward and Miami-Dade counties where you can fight your ticket and just delay the court date indefinitely until you reach a statute of limitations on the fine. So people can take their ticket to "ticket clinics" where you pay them $100 and they do it for you. No points on your license, limited "fine". This causes police to not bother, knowing it's a waste of time. Except for things like expired tags which you can't fight. So you can run a red light at 90mph and no issue but heaven help you if you have an expired tag.

Road design here is not pedestrian friendly. I know Orlando is widely studied on what *not* to do if you don't like pealing people off the pavement.

General culture too. It's cars rule. I rarely complete a ride where at least one person doesn't lay on the horn and drive into me trying to push me off the road. And I'm well outside of the road on the bike lane. I get flipped off a lot too. They just really hate cyclists. I don't get it. I carry a camera on my bike to report as much as possible to the police but the license plates are rarely visible. Also, there is nothing they can really do if hey can't identify the driver.

I've heard a couple of theories on the culture thing, everything from the dichotomy of socio-economic classes here (something else Florida holds the record for) to the influences of South American culture where driving is much more aggressive.

Whatever the reason, I'm over it. It was only a matter of time and with kids, it's not worth the risk.
2015-11-05 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was in Miami 2 weeks ago.

Aggressive drivers. I think they wire their brakes to their horns. If they have to slow down, they honk it seems

I thought Quebecers were bad
2015-11-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Of all the places we've been to for races the two worst, by far, for drivers being obnoxious to cyclists are:

1. Sarasota, Fl

2. Seattle, Wa

2015-11-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by runtim23

Yes. Drivers in south Florida are ridiculously rude and careless though many are just senile. I got hit on a crosswalk just last week from a car that was actually stopped at the stop sign yet they decided to slam on the gas as I was halfway. I had to hop off their hood. It seems every day I slam on my brakes from people punching out of their parking spaces without even looking. Then they cuss you out for being there. This is why I refuse to bike on the side of the road and happily run circles at the park. I even see fatalities in the news from bikers getting hit.

Totally been there. Got hit in a crosswalk and ended up on this girl's hood. She was livid. When I pointed out the stop sign she said, "there were no cars coming, so I don't have to stop, you shouldn't be in the street." She was late teens/early twenties driving a brand new mustang. I did a number on her hood too . I didn't bother with the cops....she was obviously going to be in some deep stuff with the car.
2015-11-05 2:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by runtim23Yes. Drivers in south Florida are ridiculously rude and careless though many are just senile. I got hit on a crosswalk just last week from a car that was actually stopped at the stop sign yet they decided to slam on the gas as I was halfway. I had to hop off their hood. It seems every day I slam on my brakes from people punching out of their parking spaces without even looking. Then they cuss you out for being there. This is why I refuse to bike on the side of the road and happily run circles at the park. I even see fatalities in the news from bikers getting hit.
Totally been there. Got hit in a crosswalk and ended up on this girl's hood. She was livid. When I pointed out the stop sign she said, "there were no cars coming, so I don't have to stop, you shouldn't be in the street." She was late teens/early twenties driving a brand new mustang. I did a number on her hood too . I didn't bother with the cops....she was obviously going to be in some deep stuff with the car.
Good for you staying calm there. I would've lost my mind if she said that after hitting me

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2015-11-05 2:45 PM

2015-11-05 2:57 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by runtim23Yes. Drivers in south Florida are ridiculously rude and careless though many are just senile. I got hit on a crosswalk just last week from a car that was actually stopped at the stop sign yet they decided to slam on the gas as I was halfway. I had to hop off their hood. It seems every day I slam on my brakes from people punching out of their parking spaces without even looking. Then they cuss you out for being there. This is why I refuse to bike on the side of the road and happily run circles at the park. I even see fatalities in the news from bikers getting hit.
Good for you staying calm there. I would've lost my mind if she said that after hitting me

I was running with a group from work so I couldn't lose it too much. The waterworks started flowing shortly after when we reassured her she broke multiple laws and could get in loads of trouble. It was obvious she was in deep you know what for the damage.

Also, in south Florida....that's nothing. At least she didn't do it on purpose. Most drivers aim for you.
2015-11-05 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just don't ever try to ride here. No laws, no enforcement. (Unless you consider police stopping random people to shake them up for bribes "enforcement".) Signs and lights are only "suggestions" and often a majority of drivers pay them no heed. It's not so much aggressive driving as completely, absolutely clueless. Many people are texting at the wheel. No one cares about anything except going forward in the general direction of travel. If you're in the way, that's your problem, not theirs. The only saving grace is that probably 70-80% of the traffic on most days is motorbike--for a cyclist, a collision will be painful for both people and bike, but if wearing a helmet, not likely to be fatal. Ditto for motorbike on motorbike crashes. When cars are involved, you can imagine the results. Not pretty.
2015-11-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: #5150862

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
This sounds like our Iowa red necks.

The main road outside my neighborhood has a wide multi use trail that also serves as the shoulder to the road. It seems like every time I run or bike there some red neck intentionally veers towards me.

Last Sunday afternoon I went for a run and some red neck in his rusty Ford pickup veered onto the shoulder driving towards me thinking he was funny. There is no place to go other than the brush that is off the side of the trail. He swerved back into his lane at the last minute.

This happens almost every time I go out. I could tell dozens of similar stories. I have thought about throwing rocks at them but that probably won't end well and what is one more dent in their truck.

I so wish there would be a police officer in the right place sometime.
2015-11-05 8:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Sarasota, Florida
Originally posted by Left Brain

Of all the places we've been to for races the two worst, by far, for drivers being obnoxious to cyclists are:

1. Sarasota, Fl

2. Seattle, Wa

That's quite a geographical stretch. We get a lot from up north, but I wonder what else Washington and Florida could possibly have in common? Rainy seasons?

You could always report it and get it on video. Maybe they'll stake it out.

2015-11-06 4:31 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

1. Sarasota, Fl

2. Seattle, Wa

Can't disagree about Sarasota, and the state of Florida usually leads the nation in bicycle deaths most years.  Had one here yesterday in neighboring Manatee County.

There's no single reason, but I attribute a lot of it to over development and poor road design.

Mark 

2015-11-06 5:53 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Pro

1. Sarasota, Fl

2. Seattle, Wa

That's quite a geographical stretch. We get a lot from up north, but I wonder what else Washington and Florida could possibly have in common? Rainy seasons?

I have no idea what they could possibly have in common.  All I know is that we've been to each of those places 4 times for races, along with 5 other cities that are regulars on the circuit my kid races. (Des Moines, Richmond Va., Dallas, Milwaukee and Pleasant Prairie Wi., Westchester Ohio being the others)  As I said, hands down Florida and Washington are the worst.....and it's not even close.  We've never had a single issue at any of the other places, and we've been there an equal number of times.  But EVERY TIME we go to Sarasota or Monroe, Wa. there are a number of incidents with drivers being azzholes.

I will say, however, that where we live in St. Louis is every bit as bad.  I'm more comfortable here because I know the area and people well after living here for 55 years......and I've been in a number of altercations of one kind or another with these rednecks.

2015-11-06 9:30 PM

User image

Expert

1. Sarasota, Fl

2. Seattle, Wa

I have no idea what they could possibly have in common.  All I know is that we've been to each of those places 4 times for races, along with 5 other cities that are regulars on the circuit my kid races. (Des Moines, Richmond Va., Dallas, Milwaukee and Pleasant Prairie Wi., Westchester Ohio being the others)  As I said, hands down Florida and Washington are the worst.....and it's not even close.  We've never had a single issue at any of the other places, and we've been there an equal number of times.  But EVERY TIME we go to Sarasota or Monroe, Wa. there are a number of incidents with drivers being azzholes.

I will say, however, that where we live in St. Louis is every bit as bad.  I'm more comfortable here because I know the area and people well after living here for 55 years......and I've been in a number of altercations of one kind or another with these rednecks.

Cherry Valley not that far from Monroe takes it to a whole new level. No idea why and I live not that far way in Snoqualmie.
2015-11-08 7:28 PM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Shiiiit man, I never made it down to the Keys. And you're making me reconsider my future retirement plans
My mom lives in Abilene, not all that far from Houston, my bro and I are considering making a big trip soon to race something in Houston before heading to her. We may get to swim one day lol
God Bless out there in TX
2015-11-09 9:42 PM
in reply to: stevemorey

User image

Pro
2015-11-10 7:08 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TJHammer

Shiiiit man, I never made it down to the Keys. And you're making me reconsider my future retirement plans
My mom lives in Abilene, not all that far from Houston, my bro and I are considering making a big trip soon to race something in Houston before heading to her. We may get to swim one day lol
God Bless out there in TX

I haven't laid racing plans for next year yet, so let me know if you plan to race here and I'll make sure to do the same one. We can exchange a quick "hi" as you fly past me on the bike!

2015-11-11 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I'm glad you are OK and I can certainly empathize. I was hit by a car a few years ago and left in the middle of the road with a fractured hip as the driver drove off. But like you, I got some comfort earlier this year on that same stretch of road. Earlier this year CA instituted the 3 foot rule for cars passing cyclists. A car zipped by me and despite having plenty of room to move to the left, decided to buzz by me way to close.

There was a police car coming out of a side street who saw the whole thing and lit him up. As I rode by I gave a wave to the officer and he returned a thumbs up.

I hope your new digs will be a safe place to ride.
2015-11-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

I drove from Panama Beach to Orlando on Monday.  Driving was ok until I got within 100 miles of Orlando and then the tailgaiting and middle lane hogging was incredible.  One guy was driving in the fast lane with only his car and my car in site.  He pulled over when I came up behind him and then pulled back into the fast lane after I passed.  Weird.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A good way to say goodbye Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program

Started by kocourek
Views: 1757 Posts: 21

2011-10-13 3:55 PM kocourek

Ways to show offhow good your really are.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Thaitri
Views: 4293 Posts: 44

2010-08-18 10:32 AM thegoddess

Best ways to improve swim?

Started by Iowa Action
Views: 2174 Posts: 16

2009-05-05 10:58 PM AdventureBear

Best ways to increase leg strength?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 2009 Posts: 20

2007-05-14 6:41 PM Cyclingmaniac

Saying goodbye to Ironman Pages: 1 2

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 2896 Posts: 46

2006-08-24 11:44 PM MandiGayle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.