General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-05 3:07 PM

Subject: New to tri
Hello,

I come from Switzerland and i would like to do my first triathlon next year. Confident about doing a sprint but maybe also an Olympic, do you think I should train for Olympic and than change if not feel confident before the race? Is it better to do more than one race or start with only one the first year?

I'm 31 and i did before running and biking, need to improve (a lot) swimming. :-)

2015-11-06 7:12 AM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: New to tri

Hi spoon! Welcome to beginnertriathlete and triathlon

Look at the training programs we have as an example and think about if you have the time to commit to training for an Olympic. Also the swimming is a considerable distance 1500m as you know, so something else to think about.

If you're in or a near a city, Switzerland has good masters swimming programs the bigger cities (like Lucerne and bigger) will have several.

Maybe start with one and see how you like it? Most sprints and Olys do not fill up quickly, so you can register for another if you're very excited about it after your first.

Good luck!

2015-11-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: New to tri
Hi and welcome!
I would post your question about which race to register for in the Triathlon Talk forum, too.
I think part of it depends on your personality. For me, if I registered for an Olympic and then changed to a sprint later, I would have a sense of failure before I stepped up to the starting line. That's just how my personality works. If I register for something, that's the race I do. No matter what. But it makes more sense rationally to do what you are thinking - train for the longer race.

On the other hand, it might make sense to do a sprint first just to get a feel for the rhythm of the event and the transitions and equipment, and then do a longer one a few weeks later, when you still have all the fitness from your training plan, but have more experience.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Not new to TRI, new to the board

Started by NavyTRIChief
Views: 1047 Posts: 4

2008-01-30 7:52 AM Ron

New to Tampa Bay...new to Tri...like to meet cyclists

Started by Apodysophilic
Views: 878 Posts: 8

2007-09-29 2:23 PM betsy

new to tri's new to the site

Started by trophytaker
Views: 796 Posts: 4

2007-08-16 6:21 AM dredwards

New to Tri's, Not new to competition

Started by backfromarun
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2007-08-05 1:28 PM xraymenow

Fairly new to tri's, new to this site.

Started by jamma
Views: 1054 Posts: 9

2004-06-17 12:10 AM Y-NOT-TRI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.