Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bike tours in Australia?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-07 4:56 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Bike tours in Australia??
It looks like the Peleton Forum has disappeared and the Australia forum has little traffic, so putting it here since it's not directly tri-related. A good friend moved back to Australia (Brisbane) last year, and I have a standing invite to visit her during my Tet break from February 4 to 14. She'll be working full-time during that period, so my thought was to find a cycle tour in the region for 5-7 days and then spend some time with her at the beginning and/or end of the tour. But my online search isn't yielding much--mainly Australia based companies that send riders to Europe and Asia.

I'd like to join a small group guided ride as I'd be traveling on my own. Not an amazing cyclist, but I'd want to ride in the 50-100 km range most days, preferably not a really fast or competitive setup--when not training I like to cruise along, take pictures, enjoy a beach or two, indulge in some local food and wine-tasting if the opportunity presents itself. It doesn't need to be a super luxurious trip, but not particularly into camping as I don't have the equipment here. I could bring my own road bike if needed, but might be cheaper/more convenient to rent.

Any recommendations for routes and/or companies that might offer this type of trip within an easy drive/flight of Brisbane?

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-11-07 4:57 AM

2015-11-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Bike tours in Australia??

Since this has sat unresponded to for a while  ...   I would think that the distances in Australia are just too great to support a bike tour like you may be thinking of?  I can't speak to that kind of tour, but I've done a couple "outback trips", basically in a four wheel drive vehicle with a few other people, go from campsite to campsite, the guide cooks, leads tours, etc.  Camps are set up.  I've done one point to point from Alice Springs including Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta and Uluru, to Ayers airport, and one roundtrip from Darwin to Kakadu Nat'l Park.  Both were pretty fantastic.  Not sure there's any/many near Brisbane

Edited by ChrisM 2015-11-12 4:55 PM
2015-11-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Could be...I was thinking more coastal ride than outback crossing, though. Original plan was actually to do a HIM in Australia at the time, but it just doesn't fit with the rest of my training/racing plans for the year. Will do some more research when I get time.
2015-11-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Backroads was the first company I thought of, they do cycling tours all over the world.  But alas, when I checked their site, they don't have Australia listed, New Zealand, but not Australia.  Sorry.  Good luck, it does sound like fun!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Bike tours in Australia?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tech Question for bike commuters / touring folks ...

Started by matt3liv
Views: 794 Posts: 10

2010-04-01 12:59 PM matt3liv

He Owned the Tour now will he Own Le Tour

Started by WaterDog66
Views: 1263 Posts: 4

2008-09-21 11:26 AM BellinghamSpence

Bike Tours Overseas?

Started by TriVeggies
Views: 443 Posts: 2

2007-06-22 12:41 PM dannyhargrave1

Charity bike tours - what do you like?

Started by LaurenSU02
Views: 565 Posts: 5

2007-02-20 3:10 PM LaurenSU02

Attn GA BT'ers- Columbia County Bike Tour Pages: 1 2

Started by runnergirl29
Views: 1996 Posts: 46

2005-09-27 4:31 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 0
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : November 14, 2004
author : Akuma
I am 28 now, hardly an old crony, but life in busy Sydney Australia has meant my belly is softer than the excuses I use to convince myself I am in good shape.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.