General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 weeks bt Oly and HIM enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-09 10:19 AM

Subject: 3 weeks bt Oly and HIM enough?
Good morning all! I'm looking to schedule an Oly tri in May of 2016, but it falls 3 weeks and 1 day before my A race, which is the Raleigh 70.3 in June. Would that be a bad idea, or is that plenty of time to recover?

I have not competed in either distance before, only sprints, but my fitness level is pretty decent.

Thanks for any feedback!

2015-11-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: 3 weeks bt Oly and HIM enough?

3 weeks is sufficient time to recover in between those two races.  But I don't know if that's really the right question to ask.

I would ask, especially since will be your first HIM and Oly, will you be recovered enough during the week after your Oly to have quality workouts the week after?  That next week is probably your last big week before your HIM taper, and you want to be certain that you are making the most of those last few big workouts before your A race.

2015-11-09 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
what's your reason for the Oly ?

I think it's ok but basically will wipe out some of your remaining peaking time for the 70.3

you will lose some time recovering from the Oly ( 2 or 3 days), and then ease back into the last week (maybe 1.5 wk) before you'll need to taper

personally I'd ditch the Oly and focus on the HIM. But if you must, I think it's surely doable.
2015-11-09 6:39 PM
in reply to: #5151330

I think I want the ows practice and middle step before going directly into the HIM. That and I get excited to do races within a reasonable distance of my home. I've never done an ows and prob won't get much of a chance before HIM in June.
2015-11-09 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
reasonable idea.

If you can get to the Oly early and get in some OW practice prior to the race, that might be a good thing for you... since jumping in with a bunch of flailing arms and legs on race day is quite an experience.
2015-11-09 9:39 PM

User image

Pro

If your training level is suitable for the HIM, then an Oly race 3 weeks prior may just be perfect.  if your training level is for that of an Oly... then you'll be going into your HIM undertrained.  

So- it really depends on you.  But If you've got a bunch of weeks in the 12-14hr training level- then this is perfect.  

2015-11-10 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by linkslefty Good morning all! I'm looking to schedule an Oly tri in May of 2016, but it falls 3 weeks and 1 day before my A race, which is the Raleigh 70.3 in June. Would that be a bad idea, or is that plenty of time to recover? I have not competed in either distance before, only sprints, but my fitness level is pretty decent. Thanks for any feedback!

I don't know how others set up their training plans, but for mine I like to put in a lot of race specific training the two months before an "A Race".  That means that I do bike/run training bricks at least twice a week and a swim to stationary bike brick about once a week.  My key work out is a "Metric Triathlon".  Since I am training for a the 70.3 distance I set up a training course with a 1.2 km open water swim, a 56 km ride, and 13.1 km run.  I do the Metric Triathlon workout about 3 weeks before my race. I use it to practice my transitions and to dial into my race paces.  That work out tells me how ready I am for the "A race".  If anything doesn't go as planned in the Metric Triathlon I have a few weeks to adjust equipment, adjust pacing, practice transitions, etc. before race day.  If you use your Olympic Triathlon as a "C race" in place of setting up your own Metric Triathlon triathlon and do it at or a little slower than your 70.3 pace it would probably be a really good thing to do 3 weeks before an A race.  

I wish I had some local races that I could use to train with.   There just aren't many races that I can do that are near me.  

Note: My last two months I rotate training weeks from long runs on Friday morning (12-18 miles) and long rides on Saturday morning ( 45-60 miles) that have shorter weekday work outs (4 miles running every other day and 16 miles cycling everyone other day) to shorter runs on Friday morning and shorter rides on  Saturday morning ( 8 miles runs, 35 mile rides) and longer weekday distances (7 miles runs, 25 miles rides).  I do my Metric Triathlon on a week where I do the shorter week day workouts.  If I were going to do an Olympic Triathlon I would also forgo part or all of the Friday morning run so that I would have a one day taper.  Then I would take Sunday off and go into my race taper on Monday where I cut volume 30% each week leading up to the "A race".  

It is hard to bring you A game with you ever weeks.  A taper is a huge boost to you performance and you obviously can't do a big taper for both races if you are going to do two that are spaces three weeks apart.  Training through a shorter "B or C Races" however can be a really good way to get ready for an "A Race".  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-11-10 8:31 AM
2015-11-10 10:47 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder if two weeks prior to HIM if you do a OLY just for a last training session at say 75% is ok for final training push. I have this scheduled, and both of these will be firsts for me.
2015-11-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Originally posted by dworth Not to hijack this thread, but I wonder if two weeks prior to HIM if you do a OLY just for a last training session at say 75% is ok for final training push. I have this scheduled, and both of these will be firsts for me.

isn't that hijacking the thread?  I never understand it when people say "Not to do X," and then do X.

2015-11-10 11:16 AM
in reply to: tealeaf

it's just a tweak to the original 3weeks to 2 weeks :P

i didn't think it would be cool to start a new thread right above this one that said the same thing

i new i would get flamed a little for it. hence the nice way to add info hopefully for us newbs
2015-11-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
I think 3 (or the recently proposed 2 weeks) is enough time to recover. I know some have brought up that doing it 3 weeks out will impact the final week of peak training, but that assumes the OP requires a traditional 2 week taper. I find that I perform better with a shorter taper.

We're all different and respond to training and rest differently depending on many factors. I say give it a shot, then next time around try something different. That's one of the great things about the sport - so many variables to adjust to find that perfect race.

2015-11-10 3:49 PM
in reply to: #5151330

I really appreciate all the feedback. Helps confirm for me why I keep coming back here for training advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 3 weeks bt Oly and HIM enough? Rss Feed