General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting over with trainerroad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-09 1:30 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: starting over with trainerroad
Wondering if anyone had advice on this. I used trainerroad this past tri season and made some great improvements on the bike. I have taken it fairly easy for the last couple of months and now I want hit it hard again. I was planning to start the program over and go through base, build, etc. The thing that I wonder about is since I got a certain fitness level, will starting over with the base phase(mostly aerobic/low intensity) make me lose a lot of the fitness I gained before? How do you guys do this. Thanks for any advice.

2015-11-09 2:17 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: starting over with trainerroad
This is my understanding of the process,

Base is used to maintain fitness and teach the body to hold a lower intensity pace for a longer time. This pace should increase from year to year, for example my current FTP is 241, and the recent base WO has been ranging in intervals around 5-7 minutes long at 215-220 watts. Then the longer workouts (3 hours) was down around 170 watts. Last year these numbers would have been lower, FTP around 225 and the interval targets would been lower compared to that.

Build Phase is used to increase FTP, so a lot of short intervals at high wattage, for me right now that would be 270+ for less than a minute.

Race specific phase is as it sounds. Concentrate on your target race pace to get used to that output, probably somewhere between your base and build targets.

again this is my understanding of how it should work and I could be off, but as each year goes by the effort goes up in each specific phase and you become a stronger cyclist.
2015-11-09 3:54 PM

Great question, I just started over with Trainer Road last week. I really slacked up over the summer and just worked overtime and ran. I started on the base and did the 8 minute test. My FTP actually dropped 9 watts. I figure I have all winter and I will just go with it and see where I am in a few months.

Which base sessions are you doing? It would be good to see how we both improved in a few months or so.
Joe
2015-11-09 7:07 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I went on the High Volume Sweet spot base plan which puts me on the bike 5 times per week for a total of 8+hrs per week. The intensity is low but I guess its supposed to build endurance, all I know so far is that 3:15 on the trainer is a lot
2015-11-09 7:28 PM
in reply to: #5151391

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Wow, I logged on tonight to pose just this question. I used TR last winter, but then completely fell off the wagon over the summer (busy at work, bought a house, etc). Figuring my FTP has dropped with 8 months of inactivity, I tried to do an 8 minute test and crashed out halfway through. Wasn't expecting that much of a fitness drop!

I'm thinking of doing the low volume sweet spot base once I can get a half decent FTP test done.
2015-11-09 8:21 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
The sweet spot base is a good plan, I am following the mid-volume version so about 5-6 hours per week. Should be enough to bridge the gap to the true off season plan that is going to be a hole digger! And I agree 3+ hours on the trainer is rough, the wife walked in over the weekend asking if I was ever going to be done....still had another hour to go!

2015-11-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

, North Carolina
In some ways, yes you will have lost some fitness, in other ways no. Your ability to sustain high intensity will have dropped, but your overall aerobic fitness should carry through to the next season. It is always good to take a little time off between seasons and then start back over at the Base phase. That is the foundation to everything else you do in the sport, so you want to rebuild that base. As another person posted, your FTP will be a little higher than this time last year, so the workouts will be at a comparatively higher wattage. What you are doing is building an even wider/ stronger base so that as you progress through the stages of training you can come to an even higher peak than last year.
2015-11-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: triathlonpal07

User image

, North Carolina
Interesting that TR just posted an article about this on their blog. Seems like this question is on a lot of people's minds right now.

http://blog.trainerroad.com/can-i-skip-base-training/
2015-11-10 12:55 PM

User image

One of the biggest misconceptions amongst endurance athletes is that you always have to be "going hard" in order to be getting faster. In the short term, this is true, but in long term (like over the course of an entire racing year) this is a sure way to actually get slower and burnt out. The body can only handle about 2 months straight of high intensity training before a plateau is reached, and rather than reacting to the stress of training by getting stronger, you actually start getting weaker.

This is where base training comes in. Especially during this time of year, it's great to take some time off, and then get back to base training. Base training prepares the body for the long season ahead and allows you to get the most out of the big efforts down the road and help avoid plateaus. Say you took 3 metaphoric steps forward in your fitness from 2015. Sure, taking some time off now and then getting back into base training could be interpreted as 1 step backwards in fitness (simply because that top end won't be as strong as it was during your high intensity work), but you're still 2 steps ahead. And now, that one step back will allow you to take another 3 steps forward in 2016, whereas without it you would have been stuck and slowly fading backwards from your 3 steps in 2015.

The article posted above is great, but I also like Coach Chad's post on training between 'peaks', which explains better what I was trying to get across above. Check that out here: 4 Ways to Train Between Cycling Peaks
2015-11-11 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5151484

nashville, Tennessee
Wow great explanation! That really helps! Trainerroad is so hard physically and mentally that I could see how you could only handle a couple months of really high intensity work. Thanks for your input!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting over with trainerroad Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMLP swim start tips or any 2500+ mass swim start tips...if any Pages: 1 2

Started by FELTGood
Views: 4399 Posts: 30

2013-09-07 12:41 PM FELTGood

Swim starts for 140.6 always mass start?

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1333 Posts: 12

2012-01-11 3:44 PM FELTGood

TrainerRoad Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by trigal38
Views: 31932 Posts: 305

2012-07-16 9:15 AM dodgersmom

vertigo, motion sickness, start/stop OWS starts

Started by MarlaS
Views: 4619 Posts: 16

2011-04-21 10:09 PM rickyb

Time Trial Swim Starts vs Mass or Wave starts

Started by browncd
Views: 2375 Posts: 13

2008-03-06 4:09 PM bhoover10001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.