Overcast
Total Time = 15h 59m 30s
Overall Rank = 1986/2980
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 245/322
Pre-race routine:

Normal
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water with my wetsuit to cool down and get my goggles wet. Was a good idea.
Swim
  • 1h 39m 40s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beach swim start. Swim was decent for not swimming in a month. Wore a wetsuit event though the event was "non-wetsuit" legal. There was a wave that was in the back for wetsuits and about 40% of people wore them. Still got results and legacy credit, was a smart idea to wear it but it was very warm while swimming. Waves/ Chop/ Current got bad on the second loop, Was very tough to run and fight the waves the second time hence 8 mins slower on the second loop. Overall not disappointed with it I knew this is about where I would be.
What would you do differently?:

Probably try to get closer to the front of the wave going out on the first loop. Maybe wear the sleeveless wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 13m
Comments:

Race number came off of bag, first time that happened. Maybe need to magic marker the bag next time or tape it. The nice volunteer at the table made sure it was taped but that took some time. Was a long walk from the beach through the shower up the chute to the changing tent so I think that I did a pretty decent job. Went to the bathroom too.

Could be faster but I was trying to be deliberate and ensure I had everything. By no means was it a fast transition, or a fast race for me either for that matter, but I knew this going in.
Bike
  • 7h 10m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Hot and Humid - kept trying to pour water on my head to stay cool and keep a nice comfortable pace and take in a lot of my drink mix and calories.

Train more, didn't have a fast ride or a ride above 70 mi between IMMT and IMFL.
Transition 2
  • 14m 9s
Comments:

Walked through transition, changed to clean socks, took a poop and washed hands.

Maybe not wear the flappy hat? It wasn't that sunny and it could have been trapping my heat in.
Run
  • 6h 42m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough to keep cool even though the sun was down. Got dizzy around 7 mile mark but realized I wasn't taking in enough calories so jammed some cookies in Could have pushed it more but I wanted to walk in with Bill the last 10 miles since it was his first one and I wanted to make sure that he crossed the finish line! Should have probably jogged a bit more near the end to keep from locking up. Last 2 miles were definitely hard.

Wore floppy hat on the first loop, might not have done that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to massage and got a massage but was in wet clothes and got really chilled when I sat up and my hands went numb...started to go into shock. The massage therapists got my warm clothes and I changed and got on a warming table. Walked back to condo and Bill's friend got my bike. Took a warm shower but I think I had a fever. Head really hurt, was hot but rest of body was cold. I think the fever broke in the night because there was a lot of sweat in the bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to moving from Philly to Chicago.

Event comments:

Overall a good course and was happy with the volunteers this year and their helpfulness. Water conditions and weather conditions and be variable from year to year. Fast course if properly trained. Was in the middle of a move from Philly to Chicago so didn't have a lot of time to train for this one. Unfortunately, couldn't get my run special needs bag back so I lost a new pair of Hoka sneakers and my floppy Ironman hat!

Last updated: 2015-11-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:39:40 | 4224 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 239/322
Overall: 0/2980
Performance: Average
45:57 lap one 53:43 lap two
Suit: Zoot Full Sleeve
Course: IM Florida 2x loop swim course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:10:17 | 112 miles | 15.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 258/322
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop IM Florida bike course. Generally very flat. Windy coming back in the last 12 miles which slowed me down. Heat and humidity was killer. Rained the last 20 miles in so road surface was a bit slick then.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 14:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:42:24 | 26.2 miles | 15m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 245/322
Course: 2x loop on IM Florida Run Course. Flat course through neighborhoods and out to a park and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-11-09 3:08 PM

New user

Subject: Ironman Florida

2015-11-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: #5151425

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Florida

Congratulations Joey - I was volunteering at T1, T2 and then would have been at the finish line when you crossed.  I was handing out tee-shirts and caps to the female finishers between 9pm and 12pm so you would have gone past me.  The volunteering was such a laugh and was great to see a race from the other side.  Most of them were affiliated to the local air base so no surprise how efficient and organised they were.  What number was you?  I was dealing with T1 numbers between 1000-1500 and in T2 1-500 so there's a 50% chance I interacted with you at some point!

2015-11-10 6:46 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Expert
Illinois
Congratulations! I finished a bit behind you. What a fun day!
2015-11-11 7:39 AM
in reply to: #5151425

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Great job!  I had a much slower 2nd swim loop as well I guess the water was getting worse.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Motivated
Views: 5223 Posts: 48

2006-05-06 5:51 PM gullahcracker

Ironman Florida

Started by murray723
Views: 4065 Posts: 13

2005-11-08 7:57 PM hdhtri

Ironman Florida

Started by Alpine87
Views: 2475 Posts: 25

2005-11-12 8:23 AM Cal

Ironman Florida

Started by kcavagnolo
Views: 2723 Posts: 19

2005-11-09 9:44 AM COgirl

Ironman Florida Pages: 1 2

Started by Drinking Buddy
Views: 4391 Posts: 29

2004-11-18 5:34 PM pzdipr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 1
I cried the morning of the race when the "Star Spangled Banner" played, but I wasn't alone. IRONMAN is electric!!