General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to look for when buying used Computrainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-09 3:25 PM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
Subject: What to look for when buying used Computrainer
I'm looking at buying a computrainer and have been checking the ebay listings. I have seen several models (8001, 8002, pro, lab, etc...) and wanted to see if there was anything I should be looking out for. I did a search and didn't find a topic related to this...

Are the models pretty much interchangeable? I know the lab is supposed to be more accurate but any other differences?
Is there anything that tends to break?
Is the computrainer to computer cable serial only on all models or did newer ones come with a USB cord? (I know there are adapters)

I'm transitioning to be a pilot in the Army so I will have plenty of time to be indoors and stationary as I read or go over flashcards and hope to do some time on a trainer while I do that. I definitely want all the quantifiable data that the computrainer provides over a standard fluid/magnetic trainer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2015-11-09 8:00 PM
in reply to: red66stang

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: What to look for when buying used Computrainer
I recalled a post I had read several days ago on another website discussing this question. I am copying the reply here - It is not my info, but seems detailed and accurate. I am also going to add the link to the page - I hope that this is acceptable to the admin here at BT ...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5753136;search_...

Here is one of the replies on that thread, I hope it is of use...

Previous posters are correct in that the load generator is functionally the same between the 8001 and 8002. My concern would be the firmware version in the handlebar controller chip, depending on what software you intend to run (more on this below). Here's a quick rundown on the chipset versions.

Chipset Versions
16.15 – Chipset for Nintendo and Commodore 64
27.41 - Chip reads 23.41 on Handlebar Controller (for 750-watt "Standard" Load Generator with Pro Controller)

25.33 - First PC Chip - did NOT have ERG mode function during PC use.
25.41 – Allowed for ERG function in newly released Coaching Software. CT maintains stand-alone function until a race screen is displayed. Allows stereo cable to remain inserted while doing calibration, except for 3D. Controller displays PRO only when software is running. Alternates display of HR and cadence while running external software.
25.42/25.43 - Mostly changes to do with wireless HR and drag functions.
45.43 – Added Aerodynamic Drag Factor
41.62 - Puck controllers
Note - PC software will not display anything above 40.95 correctly and the RM1 software display this 40.95 value as 45.43 (hard-coded). The short lived 41.62 was not supposed to see the light of day, but did, and will also display as 45.43 in RM1. You can only tell the version using the 4-second start-up display.
35.65 - Puck controller with no earclip HR circuits and embedded Polar HR components previously in the red-lump Polar HR cable.
36.10 - Further modes internal to add better chip and memory.

We run a 5-CompuTrainer studio so I've owned 15-20 CTs over the years. From my experience, most 8001 handlebar controllers had 25.41 or 25.43 firmware chips in them.

If you plan on running RacerMate One or Trainer Road, you'll need the latest 45.43 chip installed in the handlebar controller. Some Trainer Road users have been successful with a different chip, but Trainer Road website says "The handlebar unit should have firmware version 43.45 or newer." (this is actually a typo and they meant 45.43, but they haven't caught on yet). That's a $50 upgrade plus shipping. If you're running legacy CT software, ErgVideo or PerfPRO Studio (what we use most), any chipset seems to work.

One final thing to look out for is the USB to Stereo cable. Many 8001s still had the Prolific chipset in the cable and that won't work. You'll need a USB to Stereo cable with the FTDI chipset. You may get by with the adapter and a new cable ($20 or so) or buy a new one-piece cable from Racermate ($50)

IMO, the load generator is not the issue. It's the handlebar chipset and USB to stereo cable that can add $100 to the purchase price. If you scour Craigslist nationwide using one of the search engines, you'll see lots of CTs for $300-$500. I just bought a 2-year old CT with all the trimmings and RacerMate One software for $200.

2015-11-09 8:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Lemond Wind trainers have data logging through a Bluetooth connection. You could use an I-Phone or tablet. I built my own USB data acquisition system based on the FTDI chipset and PIC processor. I can see the data much better on my laptop computer. The Lemond Trainer connects to your rear dropouts, so you won't need special tires. I absolutely love mine.

The Lemond Trainer is so simple, just go with it.

Edited by Six000MileYear 2015-11-09 8:35 PM
2015-11-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: red66stang

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by red66stang
I'm transitioning to be a pilot in the Army so I will have plenty of time to be indoors and stationary as I read or go over flashcards and hope to do some time on a trainer while I do that. I definitely want all the quantifiable data that the computrainer provides over a standard fluid/magnetic trainer.

If all you are looking for is data logging - get a power meter for your bike, a Garmin (or similar), and a standard trainer.
Then, you'll get all data, all the time (inside and out).

If you want resistance control from your trainer - then I'd consider some other options (Wahoo KICKR comes to mind).
I had a Computrainer and just found it to be a PIA to set up and take down...
2015-11-15 12:21 PM
in reply to: #5151427

User image

Expert
I have a CompuTrainer, Kickr, rollers, fluid trainer....

Between the CT and the Kickr, I like the feel of the CT much better. Feels more like being on the road. Kickr is doesn't have the same rolling feel at all. Also find that ERG mode on TrainerRoad is much better with the CT. Same with Zwift.

The CT are built very solid and should provide years and years of service. I've had mine since 2004. If you can find one for ~$400 it's a great trainer for that price.

Will say the "instant on" Kickr has (no warming up of the tire and calibration needed) is really nice. The Wahoo RPM cadence sensor I find is intermittent at best for cadence. The good old wired CT one is very consistent.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to look for when buying used Computrainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Used Computrainer

Started by bscholes
Views: 3047 Posts: 6

2011-08-05 11:59 AM hip82

What to look for if buying a used bike

Started by Wolfey8412
Views: 1734 Posts: 15

2011-01-05 10:53 AM briderdt

Buying a used wetsuit?

Started by Calgary Clyde
Views: 1043 Posts: 4

2008-07-19 10:23 AM javaMonk

Buy a used QR Ti-Phoon?

Started by dndjacques
Views: 798 Posts: 7

2007-09-05 10:05 AM dndjacques

Used Wetsuit - Buy or Pass?

Started by dashcollins
Views: 994 Posts: 11

2006-09-19 9:20 PM dashcollins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.