General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One suit for all legs of the race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-09 6:16 PM

Subject: One suit for all legs of the race?
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations of brands to look at for a race suit (or top and shorts) that can be work for all three legs of a sprint/mini triathlon? It's my first Tri so I'm not really sure what to wear but want something I don't have to get changed out of. I won't be wearing a wetsuit, since it's my first Tri I just don't want to spend the money in case it's also my last!!

Ps sorry if this has already been posted somewhere!

Thank you :-)
Lou

2015-11-10 6:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: One suit for all legs of the race?
People wear both one and two piece suits. If you're not sure whether you'll want to do another tri or not, I'd recommend a two piece (tri top and tri shorts). A tri top (for women at least) is basically a running top (sometimes with a built-in bra, sometimes not; some brands feature a removable one if you'd rather use your own) that's more snug-fitting around the torso. If you decide not to do more tris, they can also be used for running or gym workouts. Tri shorts are lycra shorts that are longer than running shorts (usually mid-thigh; some a bit longer) with a minimal pad that protects a little on the bike but won't get super wet and heavy on the swim. They can also be used for biking, running, or spin classes, or even with a top for gym workouts. Danskin has fairly cheap women's tops in a wide range of sizes with some cute designs that are cheaper than most of the dedicated tri brands like Zoot or 2XU. That being said, I haven't been impressed with the quality of their shorts--I got one pair that didn't last a single 30-mile ride! I've had the best luck with Zoot shorts.

There are also one-piece tri suits that some athletes prefer. They basically look like a bathing suit with longer legs (usually to mid thigh) and a small pad for cycling. Some zip in front and some in back. I like one piece suits better for racing, as I tend to have fit issues with tri tops (I have a small waist relative to the rest of me, apparently). But unless you plan to do a lot of open-water swimming, they are basically only useful for triathlons. I think a lot of women might feel awkward doing a normal run, ride, or gym workout in a one-piece tri suit--at least I would!

Another option would be to just get tri shorts, and do the swim in a sports bra and the shorts, then put on a tech tee or jersey for the bike and run. I think that's basically what I did for my first tri, only there weren't any tri shorts in country. I was wearing a pair of men's fake Speedo jammers instead. I wouldn't recommend that--major chafing, even in a sprint!

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-11-10 6:25 AM
2015-11-11 4:26 AM
in reply to: #5151469

Thanks so much for the info and sharing your experience with different styles of gear! This is really helpful, I will look into the brands you recommended.
Lou
2015-11-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: Louise_m1

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Louise,

For a your first sprint race - just go with the basics that you probably already have.
There is no need to get a tri suit, or tri shorts at this point - all that can come later.

For my first (sprint) race, I wore a tech shirt and swim jammers with running shorts over them
for the bike and run, then just took everything off (except the swim jammers, of course) for the
swim (It was a swim-last event). It was not "fast" by any means... but, then neither was I. ;-)
I was just out to finish with a smile - which should be your goal too!

Good luck!
2015-11-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Originally posted by RockTractor

Louise,

For a your first sprint race - just go with the basics that you probably already have.
There is no need to get a tri suit, or tri shorts at this point - all that can come later.

Yes, this. For my first try I just wore swim suit (it was in the pool) and then pulled on shorts and a top over that after the swim. No need to complicate things.
2015-11-12 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5151746

Ok thanks for the advice, I'm a bit self conscious so I probably wouldn't wear a swimsuit without shorts, I guess once I get out of the water I could keep my swimsuit on and change to dry shorts and a t-shirt. However considering I already do quite a bit of spinning a pair of Tri shorts might be worth the investment as I can wear them to classes.

2015-11-13 5:44 PM
in reply to: Louise_m1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Honestly if you do spinning I would recommend the tri shorts; swim in a sports bra; pull on a T-shirt for bike and run. I have even done some of my tris in a surf shirt with a partial front zipper, since it's a bit tighter-fitting and goes on quickly when wet. I find my tri shorts are more comfortable than regular bike shorts for riding. I know others (women and men) who do the whole event in a swimsuit, with or without shorts over it, but I would feel too exposed with the latter, and chafe with the former. The more layers (wet layers) the more potential for chafing if things don't match up right. I couldn't believe how much chafing I had in just a sprint tri from the outfit I wore in that first race. (Didn't help that it was an ocean swim, and partly off-road bike on an MTB, but still wouldn't try it again!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One suit for all legs of the race? Rss Feed