2015-11-10 6:53 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Pansexual
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by mdg2003

Responding to Jonah here and I dropped the quotes to tidy up the post a bit.

I've never considered 'equal' to not mean 'the same'. I've never had someone even propose to me that there is a distinction between the two words. I'll need to get in some "bucket time" and consider the concept a bit.

It's funny, when I went back and read that statement, which made perfect sense to me when I typed it, I realized that it could be confusing or counterintuitive.

The analogy I came up with was that four quarters and a dollar bill are equal, but they're not the same.

It's our differences that make us great. I don't think you have to homogenize our culture to have equality. If you're suggesting that people assimmilate into the "mainstream", what comprises this "mainstream" you're referring to? If "mainstream" means "typical American", does that mean "white, straight Christian"?

I'm not trying to be provocative-- I'm trying to explain that as someone who comes from a minority group, I can assert and celebrate my minority-ness without saying that I don't want to be considered part of American culture as a whole. It's not having it both ways-- it's a quintessential part of what being an American is. A person is Jewish and American, gay and American, black and American. They aren't mutually exclusive and they're all "mainstream".

No, I got the message in your previous post and see the difference. i just had never considered the implications and am still thinking about it. This post has kind muddled what I understood you to have said in the previous post.

I get the minority angle. I have lived it growing up in Venezuela and Ecuador. I understand what tolerance looks like and I understand and have seen the flip side. I can honestly say that I've never seen racism in this country on the level that I saw in Venezuela. Man did they hate us down there! They didn't hold back on each other either. In Ecuador the people who lived in the mountains called the coastal folks monkeys. Not in a good natured ribbing way, they considered them to be coastal animals that were way beneath them.
That doesn't mean I don't think there isn't racism here and that I've never seen it in action. It's here, it's just no longer acceptable behavior to be open about it. I've seen that transition in this country, so I think we're headed in the right direction. Slowly, but we are getting there.

2015-11-10 7:03 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I have a headache.

ditto...  and it's panning my entire head.

2015-11-10 7:33 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by mdg2003 "see here's the rub, they don't want to be "accepted as mainstream" they just want people to leave them the eff alone and let them have the same rights and privileges as those who are considered mainstream David, Wanting to be mainstream is the message that the community is projecting. Whether that is their intent, or not, that is what I hear. With the exception of gay marriage, they do have the same rights and privileges as you and I do. Gay marriage is slowly but surely making it's way across the country, state by state. So you're saying that once DOMA is recognized in all 50 states, the LGBT movement has completed their agenda and ceases to be a presence?

Well, I hear their message and understood something different...so maybe the issue isn't with the message.  And I think being allowed to be married is a good step, but was the civil rights movement finished when they obtained the right to vote? or the women's movement?  no, that's a bit silly and simplistic to say.  Most of the time, people just want to have the same perceived opportunities, rights, and respect as those around them

I see what you did there. Did you ever consider that since the issue isn't the message(your words) it might be the way the message is being put out there? I think the LGBT community should clarify their goals and then proceed with that agenda in a manner that fosters mutual respect. I'm not seeing that and I'm not alone. They won't gain respect from everyone, but i think they would gain more ground with people that are 'indifferent', for the lack of better words. Work the middle ground to get people to side with you. You won't ever change the people that hate you, but don't treat me as the enemy just because I fit the mainstream profile. Just because a segment of society treats you like shiite, doesn't necessarily mean you need to lash out in the same way.

Perceived lack of opportunities, rights and respect is victim mentality. I think it's counterproductive to negotiate your way through life with a victim mentality. See it every day from all walks of life, including those with 'white privilege'. Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side. It might be greener, and even if it is, it just comes with a new set of obstacles and things to overcome. Work the problem, don't dwell on it.
2015-11-10 7:47 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by mdg2003 "see here's the rub, they don't want to be "accepted as mainstream" they just want people to leave them the eff alone and let them have the same rights and privileges as those who are considered mainstream David, Wanting to be mainstream is the message that the community is projecting. Whether that is their intent, or not, that is what I hear. With the exception of gay marriage, they do have the same rights and privileges as you and I do. Gay marriage is slowly but surely making it's way across the country, state by state. So you're saying that once DOMA is recognized in all 50 states, the LGBT movement has completed their agenda and ceases to be a presence?

Well, I hear their message and understood something different...so maybe the issue isn't with the message.  And I think being allowed to be married is a good step, but was the civil rights movement finished when they obtained the right to vote? or the women's movement?  no, that's a bit silly and simplistic to say.  Most of the time, people just want to have the same perceived opportunities, rights, and respect as those around them

I see what you did there. Did you ever consider that since the issue isn't the message(your words) it might be the way the message is being put out there? I think the LGBT community should clarify their goals and then proceed with that agenda in a manner that fosters mutual respect. I'm not seeing that and I'm not alone. They won't gain respect from everyone, but i think they would gain more ground with people that are 'indifferent', for the lack of better words. Work the middle ground to get people to side with you. You won't ever change the people that hate you, but don't treat me as the enemy just because I fit the mainstream profile. Just because a segment of society treats you like shiite, doesn't necessarily mean you need to lash out in the same way. Perceived lack of opportunities, rights and respect is victim mentality. I think it's counterproductive to negotiate your way through life with a victim mentality. See it every day from all walks of life, including those with 'white privilege'. Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side. It might be greener, and even if it is, it just comes with a new set of obstacles and things to overcome. Work the problem, don't dwell on it.

good point, if they stop acting like victims they won't be victimized anymore.  You've done it, solved the world's problems!

2015-11-10 7:53 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
If it were that simple they could send the two of us to the ME to bring peace to the region.

You didn't read my whole post, but scanned it just enough to find something that you felt you could nitpick to negate my entire statement. Could that be the other part of the problem?
2015-11-10 11:07 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by tuwood

I have a headache.

ditto...  and it's panning my entire head.

You sure it's not a pan ic attack?

2015-11-10 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Perhaps Miley shouldn't have dismissed animals so quickly...

Pantastic

2015-11-11 2:10 AM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Pro
Tejas

(mileybeaver.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mileybeaver.jpg (59KB - 14 downloads)
2015-11-12 8:48 AM

User image

Buttercup
I was recently at a dinner party where the host asked us if we had heard about the "fluid sexual." It sounds similar to pan sexual.

I don't care - that's my reaction. I don't care what a person's sexual predilections or appetites are. Have at it, just don't expect me to want to be informed or interested. Being desirous of another is really nothing new, not a novelty and makes no one special. It's really quite ordinary. Why are we talking about it at the dinner table?

Really, enough of the hyper-sexualization of our everyday discourse.
2015-11-12 9:04 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

From the immortal words of the great, pop philosophers - 

Salt 'N' Pepa

Let's talk about sex for now to the people at home or in the crowd
It keeps coming up anyhow
Don't decoy, avoid, or make void the topic
Cuz that ain't gonna stop it
Now we talk about sex on the radio and video shows
Many will know anything goes
Let's tell it how it is, and how it could be
How it was, and of course, how it should be
Those who think it's dirty have a choice
Pick up the needle, press pause, or turn the radio off

2015-11-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

I'm tired.

2015-11-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm tired.

Can we please start talking about something else... Global Warming, Hillary's emails, Trump's hair, Hillary's hair, Carson tales, TPP, Illegal immigration?  

2015-11-12 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I'm tired.

Can we please start talking about something else... Global Warming, Hillary's emails, Trump's hair, Hillary's hair, Carson tales, TPP, Illegal immigration?  

Illegal immigration? Hater...
2015-11-12 11:36 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Renee

I was recently at a dinner party where the host asked us if we had heard about the "fluid sexual." It sounds similar to pan sexual.

I don't care - that's my reaction. I don't care what a person's sexual predilections or appetites are. Have at it, just don't expect me to want to be informed or interested. Being desirous of another is really nothing new, not a novelty and makes no one special. It's really quite ordinary. Why are we talking about it at the dinner table?

Really, enough of the hyper-sexualization of our everyday discourse.

Renee! Nice to see you again.
2015-11-12 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I'm tired.

We could talk about Trump talking about Hillary's hair.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/12/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton...
2015-11-12 1:13 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm tired.

Illegal immigration? Hater...

ahh, so much better than pansexual talk..

2015-11-12 1:40 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm tired.

What about the war on drugs?  https://instagram.com/p/9raidVKxqD/

2015-11-12 1:52 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

I'm tired.

What about the war on drugs?  https://instagram.com/p/9raidVKxqD/

It's Pandemic.

2015-11-12 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'm tired.

Enough of Miley's sexual preferences, how about BACON?

Miley Loves Bacon

2015-11-12 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I think this confusion all started years ago when Mary Martin played Peter Pan.

2015-11-12 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by SevenZulu

I'm tired.

Enough of Miley's sexual preferences, how about BACON?

Miley Loves Bacon

ZOMG. That's hawt.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Pansexual Rss Feed  

of 2