General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding on Stationary Bikes/Spin Classes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-11 7:53 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Riding on Stationary Bikes/Spin Classes
Now that I have moved back to civilization, I have joined a gym which has opened up a lot of alternative training opportunities. One of which, that I've always been interested to try, is spin classes. Also, since I am now an office jockey again, as opposed to working from home, I don't have the flexability to always go out and ride. Since the gym I go to is quite tri-friendly, they actually have stationary bikes right on the pool deck, which is awesome, and maybe will allow me to maintain the heat assimilation I have gained from training a couple inches from the sun these past years.

I have a concern though, about bike fit. I learned the hard way that a small tweak on bike position can really mess things up. I made an ill advised seat adjustment and it resulted in cronic knee pain that took weeks of going back to my old position to clear up, and it still bothers me now and again. So from this point forward, I have vowed to not make any adjustments without it coming from a professional bike fitter (yet another thing on my to do list now that I'm back in reality and within 100 miles of one).

Anyway, my question is; how do you "fit" yourself on a bike at the gym? My thoughts were to take a measuring tape to my bike, find the relative distances of seat, to pedals/BB to handlebars, then the first time at the gym bring a measuring tape and try to mimic them as best I can, then note those values for future use.

So for those of you that do workouts at a gym, how do you deal with the "fit" issue?

2015-11-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Riding on Stationary Bikes/Spin Classes
Originally posted by 3mar

Now that I have moved back to civilization, I have joined a gym which has opened up a lot of alternative training opportunities. One of which, that I've always been interested to try, is spin classes. Also, since I am now an office jockey again, as opposed to working from home, I don't have the flexability to always go out and ride. Since the gym I go to is quite tri-friendly, they actually have stationary bikes right on the pool deck, which is awesome, and maybe will allow me to maintain the heat assimilation I have gained from training a couple inches from the sun these past years.

I have a concern though, about bike fit. I learned the hard way that a small tweak on bike position can really mess things up. I made an ill advised seat adjustment and it resulted in cronic knee pain that took weeks of going back to my old position to clear up, and it still bothers me now and again. So from this point forward, I have vowed to not make any adjustments without it coming from a professional bike fitter (yet another thing on my to do list now that I'm back in reality and within 100 miles of one).

Anyway, my question is; how do you "fit" yourself on a bike at the gym? My thoughts were to take a measuring tape to my bike, find the relative distances of seat, to pedals/BB to handlebars, then the first time at the gym bring a measuring tape and try to mimic them as best I can, then note those values for future use.

So for those of you that do workouts at a gym, how do you deal with the "fit" issue?

Replicate these coordinates

2015-11-11 8:48 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

I don’t find it a big deal.  I just adjust the seat to level with my hip bone and have the ‘handlebars’ in a relatively conservative position.  Classes tend to last between 45-60 minutes so I think the risk of hurting yourself is low.

As a disclaimer – I also think professional bike fits are a bit of a myth so I’m always likely to perceive risks such as these as minimal.

2015-11-11 11:59 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Short answer...very specifically! First find a bike or two that you like and try to ride them as much as possible. I ride indoors several days a week. I try as much as possible to get one of three bikes which is seldom an issue. I know the seat height adjustment, seat forward/back position, handlebar height & reach adjustments. It makes for a very quick setup. Not all bikes are the same. I also know on these what the tension adjustment means to my effort level.

Second, not all instructors teach the same way or with the same focus. Some always train with power, some always intervals, and some don't have a clue what they are doing. Where I work out is a licensed facility for Sufferfest so that works well for me.

I also think there is a psychological value to making sure the setup is the same across the bikes I ride. I don't have to worry if I got it right on this bike and constantly making minor adjustments during a class.

One final thought. Make sure the saddle is level. Over time they tend to tilt one way or another and a lot of places are very remiss in checking that on a regular basis. If you find one that is off, tell the instructor. If it's not fixed the next time you come in, tell the GM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Riding on Stationary Bikes/Spin Classes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spin Class for Summer interval rides??

Started by JasenGuy
Views: 731 Posts: 5

2012-07-11 6:58 AM Mr. October

Spinning Classes vs. Riding on the Road

Started by mikecdisi
Views: 2580 Posts: 19

2012-03-27 8:11 PM guppie58

Whats your "spin" on spin classes

Started by elena verdegaal
Views: 1765 Posts: 21

2012-02-20 6:36 PM jobaxas

Determing miles for spin class or trainer ride

Started by CYCLISTtuRUNsTRI
Views: 25895 Posts: 20

2008-03-18 4:03 PM smarti

Beginner question on diff btwn spin bike and stationary bike

Started by bmilmine
Views: 1246 Posts: 5

2006-03-29 8:47 AM lisac957
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Although a computrainer can be a great asset to any athlete, it’s not the only way to improve your pedal stroke. I’ll list a number of pedaling drills below and how you can incorporate them.

date : February 9, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Many athletes face the challenge of putting in quality bike time during the winter. Spin classes are a popular way to meet this challenge. Spin classes can easily be worked into your own schedule.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?
date : December 27, 2004
author : Don Magie
Introduction to our new cycling writer, Don Magie.

date : December 14, 2004
author : Don Magie
Known for its brutal cadences, nasty sprints and 12-minute hills, the spin class seems to be the perfect substitute for a raunchy ride outside. But is it?