Other Resources The Political Joe » What is happening to my country? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-02-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: What is happening to my country?

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Apparently one of the things you can do with an art history degree is become Ted Cruz' advisor on National Security issues. You don't even have to have been in the military, worked for the military, worked in a civilian security role, taught the subject, become a leading expert in the field or written any books on the subject. It's so gratifying to see the GOP's support of the liberal arts.

I always love it when people pick one person out to justify various things.  I guess because Bill Gates dropped out of college you would propose that nobody should go to college?

It's all about statistics.  You know as well as I do that people on average with an art history degree make far less than people in other more lucrative career fields.  So when trying to justify spending $200k+ on a degree it's reckless to encourage an art history degree.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone choosing any degree they want, but I don't want to finance it for them when there's a 1 in a thousand chance of them paying it back in their lifetime.

2016-02-09 10:53 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn Apparently one of the things you can do with an art history degree is become Ted Cruz' advisor on National Security issues. You don't even have to have been in the military, worked for the military, worked in a civilian security role, taught the subject, become a leading expert in the field or written any books on the subject. It's so gratifying to see the GOP's support of the liberal arts.

I always love it when people pick one person out to justify various things.  I guess because Bill Gates dropped out of college you would propose that nobody should go to college?

It's all about statistics.  You know as well as I do that people on average with an art history degree make far less than people in other more lucrative career fields.  So when trying to justify spending $200k+ on a degree it's reckless to encourage an art history degree.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone choosing any degree they want, but I don't want to finance it for them when there's a 1 in a thousand chance of them paying it back in their lifetime.

Where did I say otherwise? I have no idea how she paid for her education and I don't care, because it's not relevant.

I just thought it was funny, in light of the discussion, that a person in an important position in Cruz' inner circle has a degree that most people like you consider to be not worth the paper it's printed on.

That said, if Bernie Sanders' advisor on national security had an art history degree and no actual first-hand experience in the field, the Right-wing media would be losing their collective minds over it. You know that as well as I do. Losing. Their. Minds.

(In case you're wondering, Sanders' advisor on Nat'l Security is a former Asst. Sec of Defense and the author of 20 books on national security).
2016-02-09 11:13 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Where did I say otherwise? I have no idea how she paid for her education and I don't care, because it's not relevant. I just thought it was funny, in light of the discussion, that a person in an important position in Cruz' inner circle has a degree that most people like you consider to be not worth the paper it's printed on. That said, if Bernie Sanders' advisor on national security had an art history degree and no actual first-hand experience in the field, the Right-wing media would be losing their collective minds over it. You know that as well as I do. Losing. Their. Minds. (In case you're wondering, Sanders' advisor on Nat'l Security is a former Asst. Sec of Defense and the author of 20 books on national security).

I guess I'm confused.  Are you bagging on Cruz for having an Art degree person or are you saying that Art degrees are worth as much as any other degree?
I could care a less what degree Bernie's staffers have or don't have.  I just hope he puts qualified people in place.  With the Cruz example you mentioned, it's quite obvious that this individuals experience/expertise wasn't learned in college. 

I never said anything about an art degree not being worth the paper it's printed on.  I simply said that spending $200k on a degree (art as an example) is not something we as taxpayers should back.  If you want to spend $500k on an art degree then knock yourself out as long as you're getting private loans or paying cash.  

We have a student loan crisis because loans are guaranteed by the federal government without regard for ability to repay.  So these poor 18 year olds who of course want to go to the fancy private college are given an unlimited line of credit that enslaves them for the rest of their lives.  Then us taxpayers end up footing the bill when they amazingly are unable to repay.
It's no different then the mortgage crisis where the feds were guaranteeing everybody to buy houses and we know how well that worked out.  If it doesn't make sense for a bank to loan somebody money then it shouldn't make sense for us to loan them money.

this has nothing to do with politics or the election, it's just common sense and both political parties have put us in this situation.  I'm not even sure if any of the candidates on either side have so much as mentioned it.

2016-02-09 11:32 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Where did I say otherwise? I have no idea how she paid for her education and I don't care, because it's not relevant. I just thought it was funny, in light of the discussion, that a person in an important position in Cruz' inner circle has a degree that most people like you consider to be not worth the paper it's printed on. That said, if Bernie Sanders' advisor on national security had an art history degree and no actual first-hand experience in the field, the Right-wing media would be losing their collective minds over it. You know that as well as I do. Losing. Their. Minds. (In case you're wondering, Sanders' advisor on Nat'l Security is a former Asst. Sec of Defense and the author of 20 books on national security).

I guess I'm confused.  Are you bagging on Cruz for having an Art degree person or are you saying that Art degrees are worth as much as any other degree?
I could care a less what degree Bernie's staffers have or don't have.  I just hope he puts qualified people in place.  With the Cruz example you mentioned, it's quite obvious that this individuals experience/expertise wasn't learned in college. 

I never said anything about an art degree not being worth the paper it's printed on.  I simply said that spending $200k on a degree (art as an example) is not something we as taxpayers should back.  If you want to spend $500k on an art degree then knock yourself out as long as you're getting private loans or paying cash.  

We have a student loan crisis because loans are guaranteed by the federal government without regard for ability to repay.  So these poor 18 year olds who of course want to go to the fancy private college are given an unlimited line of credit that enslaves them for the rest of their lives.  Then us taxpayers end up footing the bill when they amazingly are unable to repay.
It's no different then the mortgage crisis where the feds were guaranteeing everybody to buy houses and we know how well that worked out.  If it doesn't make sense for a bank to loan somebody money then it shouldn't make sense for us to loan them money.

this has nothing to do with politics or the election, it's just common sense and both political parties have put us in this situation.  I'm not even sure if any of the candidates on either side have so much as mentioned it.

It was a joke, Tony. I'll ring a bell next time.

In a thread that consisted primarily of bagging on Liberal Arts degrees as being a bad idea in principle, pointing out that a senior advisor to a GOP candidate had not only a liberal arts degree but little if any experience in the field was ironic.

I got a liberal arts degree precisely because it didn't pigeonhole me into a particular career track and allowed me to take advantage of all of the opportunities that a large university offered. Many of my friends who studied Engineering or Pre-med took nothing but engineering or pre-med classes which, in light of the fact that several of them ended up choosing other fields seems in retrospect like a waste of an opportunity to me. I forget who said that college students, particularly those in career-specific jobs, don't always learn critical thinking or have an opportunity to explore their creative side but I agree. Being a visionary and being strategic-- all things that businesses need, are versions of creative thinking and too many kids come out of STEM-focused programs with no idea how do anything but connect the dots and go from point a to point b in a straight line.

All that said, I agree that one should be responsible for paying back whatever loans one incurs. I certainly did. I was lucky enough to get much of my education financed by scholarships but still spent the first 10-15 years of my post--graduate life paying back the loans I had. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If you can't see yourself paying back a six-figure loan, don't take one out. The unintended consequence of the student loan system, which is ostensibly to make college more democratic, is that it's had the opposite effect and (not unlike medical care) made costs skyrocket because it isn't the "patients" (in this case the students) who are paying the bill. You'll get no argument from me on that account.

Where I take exception is the suggestion that any one major or degree is inherently more valuable than another.
2016-02-09 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

It was a joke, Tony. I'll ring a bell next time. In a thread that consisted primarily of bagging on Liberal Arts degrees as being a bad idea in principle, pointing out that a senior advisor to a GOP candidate had not only a liberal arts degree but little if any experience in the field was ironic. I got a liberal arts degree precisely because it didn't pigeonhole me into a particular career track and allowed me to take advantage of all of the opportunities that a large university offered. Many of my friends who studied Engineering or Pre-med took nothing but engineering or pre-med classes which, in light of the fact that several of them ended up choosing other fields seems in retrospect like a waste of an opportunity to me. I forget who said that college students, particularly those in career-specific jobs, don't always learn critical thinking or have an opportunity to explore their creative side but I agree. Being a visionary and being strategic-- all things that businesses need, are versions of creative thinking and too many kids come out of STEM-focused programs with no idea how do anything but connect the dots and go from point a to point b in a straight line. All that said, I agree that one should be responsible for paying back whatever loans one incurs. I certainly did. I was lucky enough to get much of my education financed by scholarships but still spent the first 10-15 years of my post--graduate life paying back the loans I had. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If you can't see yourself paying back a six-figure loan, don't take one out. The unintended consequence of the student loan system, which is ostensibly to make college more democratic, is that it's had the opposite effect and (not unlike medical care) made costs skyrocket because it isn't the "patients" (in this case the students) who are paying the bill. You'll get no argument from me on that account. Where I take exception is the suggestion that any one major or degree is inherently more valuable than another.

ok, it all makes sense now.

<please ring bell in future>  

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What is happening to my country? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Run or Dye race not actually happening?

Started by lkct01234
Views: 883 Posts: 2

2014-05-02 9:07 AM chirunner134

TELL ME THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!

Started by jeffnboise
Views: 1078 Posts: 7

2013-12-03 4:59 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 16, 2014
author : mberries
comments : 2
Life is a series of challenges, large and small, that we meet with the resources we have available. Completing an Ironman distance by wheelchair takes a little help from your friends.