General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2016-03-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #5152281

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
Still working with the plan here - had to miss a couple of days last week for a sick child but today was a scheduled rest day so I got PT in and went for a short swim anyway because of the missed days.
I'm ready for warmer weather! 2:45 on the trainer last weekend was mind numbing and the rides will only get longer! Hahaha. It certainly builds mental stamina!
I think I mentioned before I'm following the Be Iron Fit program but am feeling like 2 swims (2700 each) a week aren't enough - that barely maintains you. I'm thinking as time permits (haha) I'd like to add a third, shorter swim in there somewhere - not sure yet. I'm having a tough time having time to do any kind of weight training. Doing my best and pleased my knee is handling 7 mile runs 3x's a week plus a short brick run!
It is a quiet thread, I agree!

2016-03-22 7:56 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
This is a slow thread! Wow...

Anyway, training is going fine but I don't know what this south Florida girl was thinking when she signed up to do this hilly race! Must have been post ironman high or something. Omg! I'm pretty scared of this one.....:-)
2016-03-23 5:26 PM
in reply to: #5173172

User image

, Vermont
Is anyone close enough to pre-ride the course? I'm thinking of going up in early June before the kids get out of school to ride a loop and see what I'm in for.

Nice brick this morning - 45 min on the trainer followed by a short run..in the snow, sleet, and freezing rain.. Builds character I hear..
2016-03-23 7:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
I live in CT, Im not really that close to Tremblant at all. Im plugging away with training. Swimming has taken a back seat. Im only swimming twice a week for now until Mid April. Im really focusing on bike training as it is a weakness for me. I have started hill work and enjoyed a brick today. I am finding it hard to find motivation to train. Some days are solid and some days I feel as though I ll never finish my workouts, once into the workout though I feel good.

Enjoying an early spring here in New England, today I was able to wear shorts and short sleeves for my ride.
Im considering going to Lake Placid again this June for training camp. I went last year and rode the Lake Placid course a few times and realized wow what a beautiful and tough course. It taught me alot about pacing and not to burn all your matches!!
Happy Training to you all.

Edited by CarlG 2016-03-23 7:07 PM
2016-03-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Is anyone considering a 70.3 this summer before IMMT?? If so which one are you planning on.?
I am considering Quassy in early June or the White Mountains Tri In New Hampshire in late June.
2016-03-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #5152281

User image

, Vermont
I would love to do either Tupper Lake Tinman again, Syracuse, or MT 70.3 (would be the best option), but kids have a soccer tournament that last week in June and we're camping the weekend before so probably an Oly in June and a sprint in late July.

2016-03-24 10:15 AM

I may do Syracuse 70.3 also. Though given how soon it is, I have to make a decision fairly soon. If not, IMMT will (more than likely) be my first race of the year. That's not ideal, but it is what it is.

Was swimming last night, and based on how tough it was...I've got a ways to go to get ready....but I'll get there.

Happy training everyone!
2016-03-24 10:33 AM

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Is anyone close enough to pre-ride the course? I'm thinking of going up in early June before the kids get out of school to ride a loop and see what I'm in for.

Nice brick this morning - 45 min on the trainer followed by a short run..in the snow, sleet, and freezing rain.. Builds character I hear..

Not close enough to pre-ride the course, but the course is generally very fair imho. I raced IMMT in 2014, and it was a great ride. On the highway outbound, there were some pretty decent head/side winds, and a number of long steady climbs/false flats. You turn around, and then you benefit all the way back into town. The hardedest part of the ride is, without a doubt, the Chemin Duplessis. Its just sucks. It's not super long per se, but its up, then flatish, then up again, then flatish, and repeat for a while. On the first loop, it's ok. but when you're just about done with loop 2 you need to climb the Chemin Duplessis again just before T2....aaaahhhhh, that is probably the hardest part of the day. So, save some energy for the second time. (hope I didn't scare anybody....just be sure to train on some short steep hills if you can!)

2016-03-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

New user
Kenosha
This is great information to have! Sounds similar to IMMOO except that the climb-flat combo is a little earlier in the ride (about miles 42 and 85).

Thank you so much for sharing. Looking forward to August!

2016-03-25 9:47 PM
in reply to: #5173608

User image

, Vermont
Well, my back went out two nights ago. I'm trying not to panic, we're still 22.5 weeks out, but I don't know howling it will last. No swimming, no running, only light biking and not in aero (if I can get on my bike). Any suggestions on what I can do to keep things moving forward? I was thinking maybe pool walking? Calf raises, biceps and triceps work?
2016-03-26 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Well, my back went out two nights ago. I'm trying not to panic, we're still 22.5 weeks out, but I don't know howling it will last. No swimming, no running, only light biking and not in aero (if I can get on my bike). Any suggestions on what I can do to keep things moving forward? I was thinking maybe pool walking? Calf raises, biceps and triceps work?

Agh sorry to hear this! Hopefully if you take good care of it, it will heal quickly!

I have had success with aqua running (boring as hell!) in maintaining my aerobic capacity/endurance when I have been injured. Also,have you tried chiropractic care?

Don't panic...you have time :-)

2016-03-31 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5173928

User image

, Vermont
I will definitely be going to the chiropractor today. Heating my back as I type this, then I'll do my PT and try biking on the trainer on my road bike (no aero for now). It's frustrating and still there constantly. Base phase ends soon on my plan and then on to the Build phase. I want to be ready. ??.
2016-04-02 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Alright, I'm in! This will be my first IM, I'm excited and of course nervous. Training is going pretty well (I think) I've been able to be consistent with hitting my workouts and knocked out 100 miles on the bike last weekend. As for tune up races, I'm looking at Syracuse 70.3 - I did it a few years ago before they changed the bike and run courses.

Any and all advice is welcome! Happy training!
2016-04-02 10:39 PM
in reply to: #5174764

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Hello everyone
Usually 16 weeks out i start a training focused routine for the race and for IMMT means beginning of May
I wonder if people here can be interested if i start to share the training program. It can be somehow nice to share the journey with you and maybe you can try to follow the program
It will be power based for cycling. If i see interest, i can post the plan in block of 4 weeks in advance
2016-04-04 9:35 PM
in reply to: Plissken74

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Plissken74

Hello everyone
Usually 16 weeks out i start a training focused routine for the race and for IMMT means beginning of May
I wonder if people here can be interested if i start to share the training program. It can be somehow nice to share the journey with you and maybe you can try to follow the program
It will be power based for cycling. If i see interest, i can post the plan in block of 4 weeks in advance

I am always interested in seeing what others are doing! If it fits with my schedule maybe I'll look at doing some of what you have! I agree - it's nice knowing someone else is out there going through it too.
2016-04-04 9:37 PM
in reply to: tri_sport19

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by tri_sport19

Alright, I'm in! This will be my first IM, I'm excited and of course nervous. Training is going pretty well (I think) I've been able to be consistent with hitting my workouts and knocked out 100 miles on the bike last weekend. As for tune up races, I'm looking at Syracuse 70.3 - I did it a few years ago before they changed the bike and run courses.

Any and all advice is welcome! Happy training!

Really well done on your bike! Heck, it's 14 degrees up here! I would love to get outside and ride!

2016-04-04 9:42 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by trirun26

Agh sorry to hear this! Hopefully if you take good care of it, it will heal quickly!

I have had success with aqua running (boring as hell!) in maintaining my aerobic capacity/endurance when I have been injured. Also,have you tried chiropractic care?

Don't panic...you have time :-)

Finally got to the chiropractor today. He dug in through my belly to get to my iliopsoas and I nearly flew off the table. Yowie! Both the psoas and the quadratus are tight as heck. I'll keep on with my stretching/exercises and work through it. My PT emailed me tonight and said I could try some short, easy swims; no flip turns. It will be so good to get back in the water!!
Rides are on my road bike, not tri bike for now - no aero position allowed, also no running so I'm now trying out the elliptical machine to maintain my running fitness. Slowly coming back though the back is still tight. Getting antsy and nervous - days are ticking by.
2016-04-04 9:44 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by CarlG

I live in CT, Im not really that close to Tremblant at all. Im plugging away with training. Swimming has taken a back seat. Im only swimming twice a week for now until Mid April. Im really focusing on bike training as it is a weakness for me. I have started hill work and enjoyed a brick today. I am finding it hard to find motivation to train. Some days are solid and some days I feel as though I ll never finish my workouts, once into the workout though I feel good.

Enjoying an early spring here in New England, today I was able to wear shorts and short sleeves for my ride.
Im considering going to Lake Placid again this June for training camp. I went last year and rode the Lake Placid course a few times and realized wow what a beautiful and tough course. It taught me alot about pacing and not to burn all your matches!!
Happy Training to you all.

That training will set you up great for MT!
2016-04-04 9:53 PM
in reply to: maroose

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by maroose

Done! I did it! I'm a nervous wreck but will trust the training plan process!
I hear the village is already sold out for accommodations (I've heard this but not confirmed it); does anyone have suggestions for other options?

Congrats. You're going to love it. The hills aren't that bad. I booked a one bedroom at the Hilton two weeks ago and there were still rooms available then. But you can also get a condo slopeside from VRBO or Sunstar. But do it soon. Also they jack the prices for IM and have a 3 night minimum but your US$ goes farther these days up here

This will be my second time at Tremblant and it's an easier bike than IM Canada. If you have a free weekend before come up and do a training loop. You can ride the course in its entirety on the extra wide shoulders and do the run. I stressed about it before my first time and found the training really helped. I also ended up changing my cassette from an 11-25 to 11-28 but don't worry the 28 is only needed on the final section near the village.

I'm planning to go up and ride in early June I think. I know someone from an hour and half away in Ontario who may join me and be my guide - he did the race last year and offered.
I'll check my tri bike, but I think it's 11-28 (still new to me) - thanks for the info on that. I haven't taken my tri bike out on any hills around here yet except for once and I did notice a distinct difference between it and my road bike. hahaha. Now I see why I blew by people going uphill in races last year....of course once we crested the hill they were gone, never to be seen again.
2016-04-07 8:31 PM

User image

, Vermont
Question for you... I have a 2:30 trainer ride Saturday (with any luck, outside instead), but I don't know that my back is up to it yet. Should I break it into 2 chunks of 1:15 each or maybe try 1:30 in the morning and 1:00 later? I'm just coming back from throwing my back out 2 weeks ago and have ridden up to 1:15 so far since throwing it out. (frustrating as I was up to 3 hours on the trainer before).
Thanks for any advice/recommendations.
2016-04-07 10:45 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Question for you... I have a 2:30 trainer ride Saturday (with any luck, outside instead), but I don't know that my back is up to it yet. Should I break it into 2 chunks of 1:15 each or maybe try 1:30 in the morning and 1:00 later? I'm just coming back from throwing my back out 2 weeks ago and have ridden up to 1:15 so far since throwing it out. (frustrating as I was up to 3 hours on the trainer before).

Hi Jen
Make sure you are fully healed before you continue pushing big numbers. We are still over 4 months away. Taking another week or two now and being 100% will get you much further than struggling through and being 80% for the next three months. Listen to your body, not your training calendar. Spend Saturday strengthening your core (leading cause of back pain) or hit the pool.

Keep me posted on when you plan to come up. I'm just in Ottawa and was going to ride the course a few times this summer. Might be able to join you depending when.

Marius

2016-04-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: maroose

User image

, Vermont

Hi Jen
Make sure you are fully healed before you continue pushing big numbers. We are still over 4 months away. Taking another week or two now and being 100% will get you much further than struggling through and being 80% for the next three months. Listen to your body, not your training calendar. Spend Saturday strengthening your core (leading cause of back pain) or hit the pool.

Keep me posted on when you plan to come up. I'm just in Ottawa and was going to ride the course a few times this summer. Might be able to join you depending when.

Marius

Went to PT yesterday and hit the weight room after; he agreed with you about not pushing it yet. I did an hour on the trainer Saturday and went for a walk; Sunday I skipped the elliptical (bugged my back on Friday) and decided to do an easy 15x100 at the pool and some light core work (avg 1:45/100yd). I've tried to do something (swim, trainer or elliptical) each day of the week for an hour or so just to keep some of my fitness intact. Today I'm heading to the pool and will try my planned swim and see how it goes. I've also been given "permission" to try a little jog/walk - my PT feels it's more of a natural motion than the elliptical, so I'll give that a go this evening maybe when I take the dog out.
Next week we head to Orlando - working on bringing some warm weather back up to the northeast.
I'm not bringing my bike but will swim opposite current in a huge lazy river. I've done that before and it is not easy. I'll also work in some light running. Hopefully I'll be back at it full tilt when I get back.

How's everyone's training going?
Oh, fyi, wiggle.com has great deals on some stuff - I picked up a blueseventy helix wetsuit for FAR cheaper there than I could elsewhere - should be here any day. I'm pretty excited. (See, this is what happens when you have an injury....more time to peruse gear....very, very dangerous..)
2016-04-12 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

Hi Jen

Marius

Went to PT yesterday and hit the weight room after; he agreed with you about not pushing it yet. I did an hour on the trainer Saturday and went for a walk; Sunday I skipped the elliptical (bugged my back on Friday) and decided to do an easy 15x100 at the pool and some light core work (avg 1:45/100yd). I've tried to do something (swim, trainer or elliptical) each day of the week for an hour or so just to keep some of my fitness intact. Today I'm heading to the pool and will try my planned swim and see how it goes. I've also been given "permission" to try a little jog/walk - my PT feels it's more of a natural motion than the elliptical, so I'll give that a go this evening maybe when I take the dog out.
Next week we head to Orlando - working on bringing some warm weather back up to the northeast.
I'm not bringing my bike but will swim opposite current in a huge lazy river. I've done that before and it is not easy. I'll also work in some light running. Hopefully I'll be back at it full tilt when I get back.

How's everyone's training going?
Oh, fyi, wiggle.com has great deals on some stuff - I picked up a blueseventy helix wetsuit for FAR cheaper there than I could elsewhere - should be here any day. I'm pretty excited. (See, this is what happens when you have an injury....more time to peruse gear....very, very dangerous..)

Hi! Glad to read that you are giving yourself time to heal...not easy

I actually DNF last weekend in an Olympic tri as I pulled my right calf. I have no idea how it happened but it was on fire! I stopped in complete fear that I was going to damage it more and there would be no MT. It feels better but I am not running yet. My swim and bike are going well and I feel no pain in my calf thank God or I would really be cranky!

Have fun in Orlando, it's pretty hot in south Florida now. Hmmmm never though about swimming against a lazy river, must try one day

Safe travels!

Alicia
2016-04-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

, Vermont
Oh no, Alicia! I hope it heals quickly and I'm so glad you chose to DNF rather than try to "walk it off" or something that could have caused more damage. Have you gone to see anyone about it or just giving it a rest to see what's what? Good luck!!
2016-04-14 10:04 AM

User image

I am super nervous about this race.

First IM, have done 2 70.3's and was ok in them, not fast but I am fine with that.

Been following Trainerroads plan, just about to finish the 12 week Base plan. Its strange, I am putting in about 8-14 hours of training a week but I feel like that's not enough and I should be training harder.

The mind game is going to get easier or worse as the race gets closer lol..

Anyone else using TrainerRoad?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Fred D
Views: 30239 Posts: 423

2014-09-01 10:07 AM strikyr

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33918 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9851 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7806 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68527 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: