General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2016-07-17 7:37 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
The race went amazing. My training is really paying off.

I swam 32 minutes, 6th fastest swim. I ran 1:38 4th fastest run. But, the bike is my weak link, did a 2:59. But, it was good enough for 1st in my AG and 11th overall. Best of all I PBed the 70.3 distance by 15 minutes.

I have been riding a road bike for the last 4 years doing triathlons. So this spring I bought a Cannondale Slice Black Inc. I am having it set up and fitted but it wasn't ready in time for this race. I am hoping I can get enough training in before IM MT so that I can get comfortable on it. I am hoping I will be able to maintain the same effort (watts) but get a bit of a speed increase.

I spoke with a woman at the race (she was wearing a IM MT hat) and she was singing the praises of the course. I am getting really excited about the race. 5 more weeks!

2016-07-18 11:50 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by DeVinci13

The race went amazing. My training is really paying off.

I swam 32 minutes, 6th fastest swim. I ran 1:38 4th fastest run. But, the bike is my weak link, did a 2:59. But, it was good enough for 1st in my AG and 11th overall. Best of all I PBed the 70.3 distance by 15 minutes.

I have been riding a road bike for the last 4 years doing triathlons. So this spring I bought a Cannondale Slice Black Inc. I am having it set up and fitted but it wasn't ready in time for this race. I am hoping I can get enough training in before IM MT so that I can get comfortable on it. I am hoping I will be able to maintain the same effort (watts) but get a bit of a speed increase.

I spoke with a woman at the race (she was wearing a IM MT hat) and she was singing the praises of the course. I am getting really excited about the race. 5 more weeks!

Awesome job, Dwayne!! That's a great confidence booster going into the final weeks!! Good for you!
2016-07-18 2:07 PM
in reply to: runmini

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by runmini

Checked today. the small grocery store in the pedestrian village shows opening hours as 7:00 am to 11:00 pm

Thank you! You are fantastic! That will come in extremely handy.

2016-07-18 2:44 PM

4 weeks, 6 days till race day, right!?! Getting very excited for the race, but my training has been poor over the past month. Work is getting very busy - long hours at the office and on the road a lot - and we have a key deadline in 2 weeks, so I don't see much relief coming soon. I'm trying as hard as I can, but my training isn't going that well right now. I certainly hope cramming in as much training as I can over the next 4 weeks pays off!

IMMT will certainly not be a PR for me, no bid deal there...I've adjusted my expectations to finish under 17 hours at this point...I think that's about as much as I can hope for at this late hour. So, could you please save some food so us 'close to midnight' finishers have something to eat? You can have all the beer and poultine you want, but if they have pasta like they did a couple of years ago, please save me some...and some cookies too.

Don't get wrong, I'll push hard, but reality has set in...and I guess that's probably a good thing.

Oh well, back to work...
2016-07-18 9:52 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I'm a bit in the same boat as you Larch, been offline and not training much for the last three weeks.

I was supposed to do the MT 70.3 as a warm up and had promised the group a race report. However on the Saturday morning of race weekend something happened at work that has demanded a lot of attention ever since. I had to miss the race altogether and only got 2-3 hours in each week since....I had always wondered why every race had so many people that didn't even start. Figured mostly injuries. Now I am a DNS due to life happening. But I heard from friends that did the race and everyone agreed it was HOT. 35+ degC, so no PB's for anyone.

This weekend I finally got out for a 4hr ride followed by a 1 hr run and was pleasantly surprised. It felt good all around and was a great mental boost. Trying to put one more block together and see what happens.

Hope everyone is having better luck sticking to their plans.

Marius
2016-07-19 11:49 AM
in reply to: maroose

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by maroose

I'm a bit in the same boat as you Larch, been offline and not training much for the last three weeks.

I was supposed to do the MT 70.3 as a warm up and had promised the group a race report. However on the Saturday morning of race weekend something happened at work that has demanded a lot of attention ever since. I had to miss the race altogether and only got 2-3 hours in each week since....I had always wondered why every race had so many people that didn't even start. Figured mostly injuries. Now I am a DNS due to life happening. But I heard from friends that did the race and everyone agreed it was HOT. 35+ degC, so no PB's for anyone.

This weekend I finally got out for a 4hr ride followed by a 1 hr run and was pleasantly surprised. It felt good all around and was a great mental boost. Trying to put one more block together and see what happens.

Hope everyone is having better luck sticking to their plans.

Marius

Marius, good to hear from you! It sounds like with even lack of quantity of training you've still got a very strong base! Great!
Someone had asked a question earlier that you might know the answer to - where to eat while in town. I'll see if I can pull up the post.

2016-07-19 11:51 AM
in reply to: Skyhawk

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by Skyhawk

We're getting close. Is it too early to list good places to eat in MT? I generally don't fix anything myself until race morning. I'm staying at the Westin.

Marius might be able to answer this question.

heck, I still don't have a hotel booked yet; I've been waiting to work on it with my sis in law but she has been tied down with work...thinking I'll just find someplace myself and family, make room for her and go from there! Nothing like a little pressure...
2016-07-20 10:41 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by Skyhawk

We're getting close. Is it too early to list good places to eat in MT? I generally don't fix anything myself until race morning. I'm staying at the Westin.

Marius might be able to answer this question.

heck, I still don't have a hotel booked yet; I've been waiting to work on it with my sis in law but she has been tied down with work...thinking I'll just find someplace myself and family, make room for her and go from there! Nothing like a little pressure...

There are lots of great places to eat, everything from a burger and microbrew at La Diable to 5 star dining at the Fairmont. One of my favorites is LeShack at the top of the Pedestrian village. Just stroll around, everything is a 5 minute walk when you're at the ski resort itself. Also hotel rooms and condos usually have kitchenettes so you can prep some pre-race goto's yourself.

Jenn- book now! All the hotels are full except the Fairmont. There are a few condos left but some are a ways away from the resort. You really want to stay on the hill because getting onsite is a bit tough especially race day. For condos I recommend Tremblant les Eaux or Plateau. Go to Tremblant.ca

A month away folks, train hard!
Marius
2016-07-21 4:22 AM
in reply to: #5190959

User image

, Vermont
Thank you, Marius! That will be my job today!
2016-07-21 11:21 AM

User image

, Vermont
Room is booked finally and I used the link you gave me, Marius! Thank you! We'll be at Plateau as you recommended. It looks like a bit of a walk, but at least it's in town and at this late date I can't believe there was anything available! The kids will have a pool to play in too which is great. Thank you!

Hill repeat session for an hour this morning on the tri bike. Felt productive! Swam 2.4 Tuesday and will head to the pool shortly for another swim.

Heading to MT on Aug 1st or 2nd for an overnight to ride the whole course and maybe get an ows in up there.
2016-07-23 4:05 PM
in reply to: #5191891

User image

, Vermont
90 miles in on the bike today...missed a century as I got caught in 2 downpours and was racing a 3rd monster storm home. -made it with less than 5 minutes to spare.. (Thinking of it like cut-off times...)

2016-07-23 10:06 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Room is booked finally and I used the link you gave me, Marius! Thank you! We'll be at Plateau as you recommended. It looks like a bit of a walk, but at least it's in town and at this late date I can't believe there was anything available! The kids will have a pool to play in too which is great. Thank you!

Hill repeat session for an hour this morning on the tri bike. Felt productive! Swam 2.4 Tuesday and will head to the pool shortly for another swim.

Heading to MT on Aug 1st or 2nd for an overnight to ride the whole course and maybe get an ows in up there.

You're welcome Jenn. Its a 10 minute walk and downhill! Also there's free shuttle buses every half hour going around the condos. For the kids there also a climbing wall, downhill luge carts, reverse bungee and a big pool complex all right in the pedestrian village at the base of the hill.

I just got in from a 24km run, felt good. negative split the second half. long ride tomorrow.

Four weeks away!
2016-07-25 8:51 AM
in reply to: maroose

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by maroose

You're welcome Jenn. Its a 10 minute walk and downhill! Also there's free shuttle buses every half hour going around the condos. For the kids there also a climbing wall, downhill luge carts, reverse bungee and a big pool complex all right in the pedestrian village at the base of the hill.

I just got in from a 24km run, felt good. negative split the second half. long ride tomorrow.

Four weeks away!

Ah, I'm glad to hear it's ten minutes! The person I spoke with said about 30 minutes....must walk a bit slower than the rest of us... Maybe he was talking about to swim start or something. We shall see. I told my boys about the downhill luge carts - they are very, very interested to try this!!

Raised the aerobars up on my tri bike 2cm and no more back pain!! 90 miles on the tri bike this past weekend and it was good (50 on the trainer and 40 outside with rain and racing thunderstorms)! Yea for small victories!

(IMG_1902 - Copy.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1902 - Copy.JPG (2689KB - 19 downloads)
2016-07-27 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5192256

User image

, Vermont
Looking like I'll head to MT on Monday for 2 or 3 days. Goals - to bike the whole course and run a loop of the run course. If anyone is going up, let me know. Can't wait to scout the place out a little more.
2016-07-28 8:34 AM

Training update....I'm quickly trying to get into race shape, and although I know an accelerated training schedule (ie. 'cramming') isn't the best option, I'm just playing the hand that life gave me this year...though I think the 'cramming' is going ok so far. I swam 3000 last night and it was pretty good. Once I got into a rhythm, I was good. I averaged ~2:05-2:10 for the 3000. I still think my technique is pretty crappy, but it is what it is. I'm upto 10 miles running on an empty stomach - I'll try to punch out 12-15 miles on Sunday morning. (BTW, if anybody want to stand on the Capital Crescent Trail on the DC/Maryland line with warm chicken broth at around 7am - 8am on Sunday morning, that'll be really helpful for my training...) The bike will be my weak link this year. I'm still riding indoors (it's a long story...), but getting in rides of 2 - 2.5 hours, and doing some short 15 mins brick runs afterwards to remind my legs what running feels like after a long ride.

I won't set any land speed records, and a PR isn't in the cards, but I'm feeling pretty good about finishing, and maybe finishing without needing a visit to medical. Yes, I'm setting a low bar for myself...

How's your training going?

Happy Thursday everyone!

2016-08-01 8:07 AM
in reply to: #5192915

User image

, Vermont
I dropped my boys off at a week-long camp yesterday and am packing up to head to Tremblant today through Wednesday. Hubby and I went out for dinner last night after dropping the boys off and now he's very, very ill...we both ate the same thing... Wondering if the hotel would consider moving my reservation to T-Th instead as I play the wait-and-see game...I'm supposed to check in today... I put off my long ride this past weekend as my plan is to ride the two loops of the course tomorrow.. A friend of mine told me this morning - with everything you've put up with over the last few months, you will have truly earned this. Hahaha. I want a re-do on training! It's all good, it's life.

2016-08-01 9:02 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
oh boy! I hope you don't get what your hubby got. Good luck this week regardless of when you ride!
2016-08-01 1:24 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

I WANT MY BIB NUMBER ALREADY!

They certainly haven't been speedy with giving us updates. Swim waves haven't been posted, on-course electrolytes haven't been posted, and of course bib numbers haven't been posted.

2016-08-01 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5193440

User image

, Vermont
Okay, I'm here in MT, planning to ride tomorrow morning. Question for those who know the course: today I drove the section I haven't ridden to check it out - 117. Where in LaBelle do you turn around? There are three exits...I'm praying it's the first one...because that's a heck of a hill to the second one...
2016-08-02 8:08 AM
in reply to: #5193594

User image

, Vermont
Just found out it's exit 143. Question answered...and I'm procrastinating...
2016-08-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: #5193649

User image

, Vermont
One loop done - 3:08. Came in to refill water bottles and I'm heading back out. That hill coming back on 117 by Conception is something else, huh? Hamster mode and spin. (Not used to the long hills, we have more of the short and punchy ones in VT like on Duplessis).
I love the village! Totally fun and lots of food options!!

2016-08-02 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Originally posted by aviatrix802 One loop done - 3:08. Came in to refill water bottles and I'm heading back out. That hill coming back on 117 by Conception is something else, huh? Hamster mode and spin. (Not used to the long hills, we have more of the short and punchy ones in VT like on Duplessis). I love the village! Totally fun and lots of food options!!

I'm loving these updates, and so jealous you get to check out the course!

How long is that "long" hill on 117, and roughly what grade?

2016-08-02 4:19 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by swgtri

Originally posted by aviatrix802 One loop done - 3:08. Came in to refill water bottles and I'm heading back out. That hill coming back on 117 by Conception is something else, huh? Hamster mode and spin. (Not used to the long hills, we have more of the short and punchy ones in VT like on Duplessis). I love the village! Totally fun and lots of food options!!

I'm loving these updates, and so jealous you get to check out the course!

How long is that "long" hill on 117, and roughly what grade?

Sooooooo jealous you get to ride the course! But so grateful for the updates. Yeah.....how long is this hill and grade?

Hope you had a great time!

Alicia
2016-08-02 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5193739

User image

, Vermont
I'm not sure how long or what percent grade it is, I'll have to heck Strava. It's just that I'm not used to longer hills, I'm used to shorter, punchier hills like on Chemin Duplessis. Probably most people would have no problem with it.
2016-08-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: #5193841

User image

, Vermont
Two loops done - looks like about 102 miles. - I didn't do the little section on 117 south of Montee Ryan. My quads were left somewhere on Duplessis. I cut the last section short a bit as I went way, way past the turn around on the first loop.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Fred D
Views: 30222 Posts: 423

2014-09-01 10:07 AM strikyr

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33916 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9851 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7806 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68524 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: