General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2016-06-22 11:07 AM
in reply to: runmini

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
Mind if I jump in here?? IMMT will be my first IM. Less than 9 weeks to go!

The 15 minute wait at IM Louisville special needs sounds kind of scary. It almost makes me want to carry all my nutrition for the entire ride. 6 x 2 scoops of Infinit...maybe carry three bottles on my bike with three more servings in bags in my pockets and mix them at a water station halfway through the ride.

2016-06-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: Baboon

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

The "two months to go" was a bit of a shock to the system!

With regard to the wait at Louisville special needs, this will be my 4th IM (all different venues), and my husband has done IM at two additional venues. Neither of us have ever encountered a wait at any special needs. I don't know what happened in Louisville, but I would say it was a fluke, and it is highly unlikely you will have an issue retrieving your special needs bag during the race.

2016-06-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: trirun26

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by trirun26

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by cynner

Jenn,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm old, so I'm slow too. LOL!!! I do have a STRAVA account, so will take a look at the ride profile.

Really appreciate the help here. We've done Ironman Wisconsin and there are 3 killer climbs that you ride twice. I'll be curious to know how the 8% compares (in distance) to IMMOO.

Cyndi

Oh gosh, you will be fine I'm sure!

Lol...I am slow....usually in the 15hr IM time...however, coming from a very flat area to these HUGE hills I will not care if i am at 16:59 :-)

I have bee doing the MT route on virtual training but I am still having nightmares here and there of the hills. Why did i sign up for this? Hmmmm love the challenge and feeling what the body can do! :-)

Body is holding up well :-) . Doing a 5k swim in the ocean in 2 weeks! Wahoooo!

Safe training everyone!

Alicia

The hills are overhyped IMO.

There is one hill on the highway out and back - just watch your watts and you'll be fine then the bulk of the elevation gain is at the end of each loop. I never needed to get out of the saddle to climb - you'll be fine. It goes up a bit, flattens out, up a bit more, flattens out........get to the top, turn around and RIP DOWN.
2016-06-22 8:32 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Awesome, I'll see you up there (well, over there I guess for you - I live in downstate NY). Hoping to get a good trial run of nutrition and gear in prep for IMMT
2016-06-22 8:34 PM
in reply to: tri_sport19

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
What is everyone thinking for bike gearing? I have a 53/39 front and was considering running a 12-27 cassette (I did that for Syracuse 70.3 a few years ago and it paid off). I figure run a bigger cassette on the back and save some ammunition for the run!
2016-06-23 11:21 AM
in reply to: tri_sport19

User image

, Vermont
I've got 50/34 chain rings and an 11/32 cassette. I had a 52/38 with 11/25 but I personally would have had a very hard time - but I don't have a lot of power and it's only beginning my 3rd year cycling.

2016-06-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I just signed up for the Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman this upcoming weekend...hey, it's in the plan, right?! haha Bit it hard on a dropped chain today an hour into a long ride. Torqued my seat sideways and didn't have an allen wrench to fix it so I coasted down to a local gas station and called the hubby and got a coffee. Got home, worked on the seat, temps climbed into the upper 80's and it was only 9:00. "Ozone warning" here today. I opted to run 5.5 with pickups and will get the long ride in tomorrow. I may pass by my chiropractor's on my ride to get cracked. After the fall the back isn't too happy. Everything else is good, just a few bumps and bruises including my ego. Have to put up a picture, just because.
Ouch! Glad it wasnt very bad! We are getting so close. Just ordered my long sleeve wetsuit, was hoping to be able to swim in sleevless but water temp is 62 in MT now and most prior racers have said their hands and feet were numb by the end. Any thoughts on this from prior racers in MT? We never use wetsuits in the swamp land so one more thing for me to get use to...in the pool at 5am so its only 85 degrees lol.. Love the pic!

I haven't raced in MT but I did Coeur d'Alene a couple years back when it was really really cold water.  53F at the shoreline and 47F at the turnaround point as I recall.  I'll be plenty happy with 62

Long sleeves are still a good idea; neoprene hat might be good too if you're not used to colder water.  I don't remember if it's a WTC rule or if it's per-race, but booties were also allowed at Coeur d'Alene that year.

I expect it'll probably warm up some between now and August, though.

By the end of August it will warm up, last time I did MT it was in the low 70's I think. Wore a long sleeve wet suit, no hat or boots and not chilled at all.
Will let you know, I'm up there this weekend for the 70.3. Weather is going to be hot out of the water... 29C forecast!!
2016-06-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: #5186823

User image

, Vermont
Good luck this weekend!!! Enjoy and try hydrated! It's going to be warm!!
I'm racing just south of you at Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman!
2016-06-24 7:22 PM
in reply to: #5188453

User image

, Vermont
Quick question for anyone. It will be mid-80's tomorrow for temps...aero helmet with no vents or regular bike helmet for a HIM?
2016-06-25 4:28 PM
in reply to: #5188513

User image

, Vermont
Toughman Tinman is done. 6:12:39. Very hilly course and around 85 degrees. Very hot and exposed course. Trying to get hydrated again.
2016-06-27 6:08 AM
in reply to: maroose

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Originally posted by maroose

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I just signed up for the Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman this upcoming weekend...hey, it's in the plan, right?! haha Bit it hard on a dropped chain today an hour into a long ride. Torqued my seat sideways and didn't have an allen wrench to fix it so I coasted down to a local gas station and called the hubby and got a coffee. Got home, worked on the seat, temps climbed into the upper 80's and it was only 9:00. "Ozone warning" here today. I opted to run 5.5 with pickups and will get the long ride in tomorrow. I may pass by my chiropractor's on my ride to get cracked. After the fall the back isn't too happy. Everything else is good, just a few bumps and bruises including my ego. Have to put up a picture, just because.
Ouch! Glad it wasnt very bad! We are getting so close. Just ordered my long sleeve wetsuit, was hoping to be able to swim in sleevless but water temp is 62 in MT now and most prior racers have said their hands and feet were numb by the end. Any thoughts on this from prior racers in MT? We never use wetsuits in the swamp land so one more thing for me to get use to...in the pool at 5am so its only 85 degrees lol.. Love the pic!

I haven't raced in MT but I did Coeur d'Alene a couple years back when it was really really cold water.  53F at the shoreline and 47F at the turnaround point as I recall.  I'll be plenty happy with 62

Long sleeves are still a good idea; neoprene hat might be good too if you're not used to colder water.  I don't remember if it's a WTC rule or if it's per-race, but booties were also allowed at Coeur d'Alene that year.

I expect it'll probably warm up some between now and August, though.

By the end of August it will warm up, last time I did MT it was in the low 70's I think. Wore a long sleeve wet suit, no hat or boots and not chilled at all.
Will let you know, I'm up there this weekend for the 70.3. Weather is going to be hot out of the water... 29C forecast!!

Hope you had fun at the 70.3 and can't wait to read about it :-)

2016-06-28 1:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

race link is above - not sure if it works until I post this - otherwise, just go to my profile and it's there somewhere if you want to read it.
this race report is for the Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman this past Saturday.
EDIT: link isn't working so go to my profile and just click race report for this race.

A couple of things about the race I have been keeping in mind - I crashed my road bike last Monday and had some sore spots left and had a poor swim on Wednesday so going into the race I was mentally down a bit - not as confident as I could have been. My longest run to that point was only 10.5 or so, though I had done 3 of those and was running upwards of about 6 miles (give or take) two other times during the week and a shorter run as part of a brick so I felt pretty strong for that.
When I initially finished the race I wasn't happy with my performance due mainly to the swim and bike but as I've had time to really sit and think about it, a lot of really good things came out of it:

- I really learned that SPRAY ON SUNSCREEN is KEY!! I FRIED on the backs of my shoulders, just absolutely fried. Spray-on sunscreen in T2 in particular is key. (if T1 and T2 are co-located, bonus!). It was about 89 degrees and the sun was just a-bakin' everything.
- still need to focus heavily on food and drink on the bike. I suck at it, plain and simple. I need to work on bike strength. It's a fairly hilly course but I still wanted to be at least 19+ mph average on that course.
- by the same token, don't burn your matches on the bike....you still have to run a 1/2 marathon and I saw a lot of people exploding on the run. (so I did a good job there; guys that had great swims (30 min) and bikes (2:45) had me passing them on the run!)
- ice is your friend, shove it into every orifice you have on a hot day. Jog bras are a blessing for that!! (sorry, guys)
- I found it ironic that while I couldn't run last year with my knee, it has become stronger for me this year (not really in terms of speed, but in terms of feeling stronger) - so that's good. A guy came up to me after the race while I was chatting with my mom-in-law (my sole support person there) and commented on my strong pace at the end and had seen me walk through a couple of aid stations and on steep sections of a hill and he said "I thought to myself, that girl is onto to something in this heat." So, it worked.
-finally, my plan seems to be doing okay. I didn't feel sore or in pain at the end of the race at all. Other than the heat taking it's toll, I could have gone for a short jog the next day!! Sure I could feel a little fatigue in my legs but nothing was sore! I was surprised and happy with that. At first I thought, maybe I didn't go hard enough, then I thought, I went just right for that heat and my training has been decent. So, a good thing.

Last but not least...I did end up at the doctor's yesterday. I inhaled a wave about 2/3 of the way through the swim and my lungs were just searing. I had to pull up short and hack up a lung for a while (thus my slowest swim time to date). The searing continued the rest of the race and on into the subsequent days. I was wary of SIPE during the race but fortunately no symptoms showed up. Tupper Lake has a lot of geese so I was thinking potential bacterial infection or the obvious - water in the lungs causing pneumonia. They did have me pop an x-ray which to this point shows no fluid in the lungs - yea! They also recommended rest as they believe I have really irritated my lungs - it hurts to do any deep breathing. Sooo...I hit the gym today for weights instead. Tried the elliptical just for 5 minutes to warm up (treadmills were all taken) and just the slightly heavier breathing hurt (how the heck did I get through the race!?)...so maybe they're right and tomorrow I'll go get a massage instead...
Okay, that's all - sorry so long!

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-06-28 1:41 PM
2016-07-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Regular
Georgia
We're getting close. Is it too early to list good places to eat in MT? I generally don't fix anything myself until race morning. I'm staying at the Westin.
2016-07-08 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5152281

User image

, Vermont
Another question to piggy back - my sister in law was asking about black flies being an issue in MT? I hadn't thought about it but she mentioned her run will probably be slow and dealing with black flies would not be fun. Bug spray?
2016-07-11 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

race link is above - not sure if it works until I post this - otherwise, just go to my profile and it's there somewhere if you want to read it.
this race report is for the Toughman Tupper Lake Tinman this past Saturday.
EDIT: link isn't working so go to my profile and just click race report for this race.

A couple of things about the race I have been keeping in mind - I crashed my road bike last Monday and had some sore spots left and had a poor swim on Wednesday so going into the race I was mentally down a bit - not as confident as I could have been. My longest run to that point was only 10.5 or so, though I had done 3 of those and was running upwards of about 6 miles (give or take) two other times during the week and a shorter run as part of a brick so I felt pretty strong for that.
When I initially finished the race I wasn't happy with my performance due mainly to the swim and bike but as I've had time to really sit and think about it, a lot of really good things came out of it:

- I really learned that SPRAY ON SUNSCREEN is KEY!! I FRIED on the backs of my shoulders, just absolutely fried. Spray-on sunscreen in T2 in particular is key. (if T1 and T2 are co-located, bonus!). It was about 89 degrees and the sun was just a-bakin' everything.
- still need to focus heavily on food and drink on the bike. I suck at it, plain and simple. I need to work on bike strength. It's a fairly hilly course but I still wanted to be at least 19+ mph average on that course.
- by the same token, don't burn your matches on the bike....you still have to run a 1/2 marathon and I saw a lot of people exploding on the run. (so I did a good job there; guys that had great swims (30 min) and bikes (2:45) had me passing them on the run!)
- ice is your friend, shove it into every orifice you have on a hot day. Jog bras are a blessing for that!! (sorry, guys)
- I found it ironic that while I couldn't run last year with my knee, it has become stronger for me this year (not really in terms of speed, but in terms of feeling stronger) - so that's good. A guy came up to me after the race while I was chatting with my mom-in-law (my sole support person there) and commented on my strong pace at the end and had seen me walk through a couple of aid stations and on steep sections of a hill and he said "I thought to myself, that girl is onto to something in this heat." So, it worked.
-finally, my plan seems to be doing okay. I didn't feel sore or in pain at the end of the race at all. Other than the heat taking it's toll, I could have gone for a short jog the next day!! Sure I could feel a little fatigue in my legs but nothing was sore! I was surprised and happy with that. At first I thought, maybe I didn't go hard enough, then I thought, I went just right for that heat and my training has been decent. So, a good thing.

Last but not least...I did end up at the doctor's yesterday. I inhaled a wave about 2/3 of the way through the swim and my lungs were just searing. I had to pull up short and hack up a lung for a while (thus my slowest swim time to date). The searing continued the rest of the race and on into the subsequent days. I was wary of SIPE during the race but fortunately no symptoms showed up. Tupper Lake has a lot of geese so I was thinking potential bacterial infection or the obvious - water in the lungs causing pneumonia. They did have me pop an x-ray which to this point shows no fluid in the lungs - yea! They also recommended rest as they believe I have really irritated my lungs - it hurts to do any deep breathing. Sooo...I hit the gym today for weights instead. Tried the elliptical just for 5 minutes to warm up (treadmills were all taken) and just the slightly heavier breathing hurt (how the heck did I get through the race!?)...so maybe they're right and tomorrow I'll go get a massage instead...
Okay, that's all - sorry so long!

How are you feeling?
2016-07-11 3:33 PM

User image

, Vermont

How are you feeling?

Good! Back was bumming with the long bike on Friday, but I had taken the shim out of my left cleat as recommended so it may take a few rides to get used to it. The next step will be to raise up the aerobars - you can see in my profile picture the bike is set up pretty aggressively so it might be too aggressive for my back right now. One step at a time.

Nice 15 mile run yesterday in the pouring rain followed by a 1/2 hour on the trainer for a high cadence spin. Things are coming along.
I swam 2500 today - still feeling the ribcage tightness. (doc thought maybe i had pulled some intercostals during my coughing fit). Tomorrow I will try an ows again with the wetsuit - first since the race, so we will see how that feels.

Getting close! What are we, just under 6 weeks out?!
Still trying to dial in nutrition. I've been working with Infinit but not convinced it's working for me. Has anyone tried Tailwind? I have a local store that sells it so it's a heck of a lot more convenient to get it than Infinit.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-07-11 3:35 PM

2016-07-14 10:15 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Another question to piggy back - my sister in law was asking about black flies being an issue in MT? I hadn't thought about it but she mentioned her run will probably be slow and dealing with black flies would not be fun. Bug spray?

I never saw a black fly on my MT run.
2016-07-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

I am doing a local, non branded 70.3 this weekend. I will see how the training has prepared me so far. I had a large training week last week (18 hours) and I was really bagged on Monday/Tuesday. I am feeling better as the week is progressing.
2016-07-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

I also had a big week last week, capped off with a 19 mile run and my first century of the season (in 102* heat, no less)! I was wasted Monday/Tuesday, and am enjoying a recovery week. One more build set before the big event!

Anyone who has been up to MT, do you know whether there are any convenience stores within the village? We will be staying at a condo, and likely arriving pretty late on Thursday. I would rather wait until the next day to drive to the supermarket if I can find breakfast necessities (milk, in particular) within the pedestrian village. I'm hoping to do a morning swim and athlete check in before hitting the store (possibly while scouting the course ).

2016-07-14 6:15 PM

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

Yes, there is a small general store in the village, not sure when it closes/opens if you are arriving late.. Or stop at the IGA on highway 117 on the way in, it has everything and anything you might want. There is also a Metro store in St. Jovite, which also has lots of interesting places to eat. 

I am at Mont Tremblant now for a few days, will try to check the opening hours of the store in the village when I am next there.

Edited by runmini 2016-07-14 6:20 PM
2016-07-14 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5152281

User image

, Vermont
Are you staying in a hotel right there? If so, which one? I am heading there for an overnight Aug 1&2 to ride/run the course and am looking for somewhere to stay probably just for 1 night.
Thanks for any advice.

2016-07-14 9:59 PM
in reply to: #5190952

User image

, Vermont
Thank you!
2016-07-15 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Training is going great so far! Body is feeling well :-)

Have had several very long rides 80-100 in triple digit heat! So gross! Also riding MT course on virtual training

Run is k, swim great! However practicing in my full sleeve wetsuit is a challenge because its so freaking hot.

Driving from Montreal to MT on wednesday, how is the drive? Going up with my mom and sister...anything worth stopping for on the way?

Staying in the village, I am really getting excited!

Happy and safe training!
2016-07-16 5:08 PM
in reply to: swgtri

Regular
Mississauga, Ontario

Checked today. the small grocery store in the pedestrian village shows opening hours as 7:00 am to 11:00 pm

2016-07-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by DeVinci13

I am doing a local, non branded 70.3 this weekend. I will see how the training has prepared me so far. I had a large training week last week (18 hours) and I was really bagged on Monday/Tuesday. I am feeling better as the week is progressing.

How did it go?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Fred D
Views: 30234 Posts: 423

2014-09-01 10:07 AM strikyr

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33918 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9851 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7806 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68527 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: