General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better Heart Rate Monitor? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-16 10:11 AM

User image

Conroe, Texas
Subject: Better Heart Rate Monitor?
I am on my second Garmin 910XT (first one passed away in a bike crash) and my 3rd Garmin premium heart rate monitor and I am unable to get consistent results from any of them. I have workouts in my Garmin Connect account dating back as for as August 2014 that look very similar to the workouts I completed this week in relation to the heart rate data. (see photo below) I very rarely get a whole workout in where the HR monitor stays connected for the duration. The second HR monitor I used was actually pretty consistent about dropping out right at the 20 minute mark and when it would come back 10 minutes later it was giving me half Hr readings( Actual HR was 140 and the Monitor would read 70) Is there a better HR out there that will work with my Garmin?

Edited by sawyer1206 2015-11-16 10:13 AM

(GarminHR-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
GarminHR-1.jpg (136KB - 10 downloads)

2015-11-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: sawyer1206

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Better Heart Rate Monitor?
I just bought a 920xt....after using a 310xt for a while. It's mildly irritating, to me, to see the spikes. But, in the overall scheme of things, I don't get bent out of shape (not saying you are, mind you) too much.

What's the big deal (sincere question) if you get a spike or two here and there? There's likely a great answer to this. I'm just not that knowledgeable.
2015-11-16 12:38 PM

User image

Master
I have gone through about 6-7 Garmin and Polar heart rate straps. I tried the hybrid Polar strap/Garmin transmitter and it worked well for about a year with possibly less drops. I just bought a Mio Link http://www.mioglobal.com/Mio-Link-heart-rate-wristband/Product.aspxand couldn't be happier. It has been well reviewed http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/mio-link-first-look.html.I can't comment on the durability as I have only had it for a week but I don't see myself ever using a heart rate strap again
2015-11-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by pschriver

I have gone through about 6-7 Garmin and Polar heart rate straps. I tried the hybrid Polar strap/Garmin transmitter and it worked well for about a year with possibly less drops. I just bought a Mio Link http://www.mioglobal.com/Mio-Link-heart-rate-wristband/Product.aspxand couldn't be happier. It has been well reviewed http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/mio-link-first-look.html.I can't comment on the durability as I have only had it for a week but I don't see myself ever using a heart rate strap again

YOU ARE DA MAN!! I had heard about a HR monitor that goes on your wrist but I couldn't find it. I will try the Mio next. Do you use any programs like TrainerRoad? If so have you noticed any of the Loooooong delays in registering the increased effort?
2015-11-16 2:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Conroe, Texas
Originally posted by nc452010

I just bought a 920xt....after using a 310xt for a while. It's mildly irritating, to me, to see the spikes. But, in the overall scheme of things, I don't get bent out of shape (not saying you are, mind you) too much.

What's the big deal (sincere question) if you get a spike or two here and there? There's likely a great answer to this. I'm just not that knowledgeable.

• I have been able to deal with this issue for close to 18 months now. What has changed is I hired a coach to train me for a 70.3 which I just completed and IMTX in 2016. Everything she sends me is HR Zone and time based training. If she looks at my HR and the entire lets say bike ride was in Zone 1 instead of Zone 2 due to the HR issue she will not be getting an accurate snapshot of my training and may unnecessarily adapt the program.

• Also I have recently started using Trainer Road and it is HR based as well. Another issue I'm having is a long delay in the onscreen HR display. Meaning when the program calls for an interval from 120bpm to 160bpm for 2 minutes I will increase my intensity for the 2 minutes but the HR display will show the work about 2 minutes later. Strangest thing watching your HR climb and peak while you're on the recovery stage of the interval.

Edited by sawyer1206 2015-11-16 2:23 PM
    2015-11-16 2:40 PM

User image

Pro
    Melbourne FL
    Gold member

I believe dcrainmaker has an article on the Garmin spikes and other issues. 

I've heard good things about the Wahoo BT/ANT+ combo HR strap. 

2015-11-16 2:57 PM

Sarasota, Florida
    I was looking into the Mio but I don't think I have device compatibility. The polar strap gets a little annoying.

I have been using a simple FT4 and polar strap and haven't had accuracy issues I'm aware of.
    The strap slips the longer I go which gets annoying but the only inaccuracy I'm aware of is while doing crunches/sit ups but I have to trust periodic results and haven't tried their web app. So far it seems to work fine run/bike/swim in pool and ocean but haven't owned it a year nor do I use it all the time.

Edited by runtim23 2015-11-16 2:58 PM
    2015-11-16 3:56 PM

User image

Master
    Originally posted by sawyer1206

Originally posted by pschriver

YOU ARE DA MAN!! I had heard about a HR monitor that goes on your wrist but I couldn't find it. I will try the Mio next. Do you use any programs like TrainerRoad? If so have you noticed any of the Loooooong delays in registering the increased effort?

I use Zwift and Golden Cheetah (Live Training) and have had ZERO drops. The device is Ant+ but also does BlueTooth so you can synch it with your smart phone. I have enough devices already so I don't do the cell phone.

I'm not sure what you mean by long delays but on short supra-threshold efforts the delay is physiologic. I am relatively sure the device is very accurate and the technology is sound.The same technology is used in intensive care units throughout the world on a daily basis.

Edited by pschriver 2015-11-16 4:04 PM
    2015-11-16 4:09 PM
    in reply to: pschriver

User image

Master
    Calgary, AB
    Silver member
    I have the MIO Link and multiple garmin straps (I'm on the 920XT now)

I found the MIO screwed up when I was running, no matter which arm or how tight/loose it would show CRAZY numbers like 190+ hr when I was jogging then it would drop to 70, then back. It was ok if I was sitting but swinging the arm even remotely made it bonkers.

So I've just settled on using the garmin and changing the battery every 4-5 months as they are cheap and that seems to be the root of most issues.
    2015-11-16 4:27 PM
    in reply to: Khyron

User image

I have a MIO link and I love it. It is very reliable for me-- way more than the Garmin or Polar that rely on an electrical connection (and would often spike because of static, or lose the signal if I wasn't sweating enough).

It doesn't have to be super tight but the trick is to put it right next to the ulnar bone on your wrist, and make sure no ambient light leaks in.
    2015-11-16 4:36 PM
    in reply to: Khyron

User image

Master
    Originally posted by Khyron

I have the MIO Link and multiple garmin straps (I'm on the 920XT now)

I found the MIO screwed up when I was running, no matter which arm or how tight/loose it would show CRAZY numbers like 190+ hr when I was jogging then it would drop to 70, then back. It was ok if I was sitting but swinging the arm even remotely made it bonkers.

So I've just settled on using the garmin and changing the battery every 4-5 months as they are cheap and that seems to be the root of most issues.

Did you try moving it up to your mid-forearm? So far I haven't noted any issues. The problem with the Garmin strap is also in the strap. If it was a matter of just replacing the batteries, it would be fine.

2015-11-16 5:53 PM

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    Not sure I have anything new to offer as far as equipment suggestions, but have done quite a bit of training with HR. A delay in registering increased effort may be your physical response, not your monitor. There is typically a noticeable lag between increasing effort and your body's increasing HR to respond to the demand. For example, when I'm doing tempo pickups on a run, it might take me one to two minutes to actually get my HR "into the zone" unless I started way faster than the target speed/effort. It's quite normal for HR for short intervals to peak AFTER the burst is over, shortly after you've started recovery. That's a normal body process, not your monitor, and one reason why training with HR is not quite as accurate as, say, training with power.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-11-16 5:55 PM
    2015-11-16 6:47 PM
    in reply to: Hot Runner

Sarasota, Florida
    I think the spikes the OP is reporting is related to poor contact or transmission. I'm curious why though? dcrainmaker.com does mention it in a couple posts. One mentions the type of shirt and another comment claims it's from the contacts rusting. I haven't had any issues with my Polar. I have never seen it drop connection or display questionable rates. I do wear mine as tight as possible while swimming and loosen a little for biking and running. Even when the straps loosen up 30 minutes later causing it to slide a little, I still get good readings but I guess time will be the ultimate test.
    2015-11-17 10:08 AM

User image

Pro

After years of dealing with static spikes and unreliability of chest straps, I went with the Mio Link.  Been working near flawlessly for me for over a year.  The Scosche Rhythm+ is also good.  Both $80.

the two downsides to the optical monitors.  

1.  the rechargeable battery only lasts 7-8 hours.  So, not good for IMs or Ultras.

and 2.  the HRV data is inaccurate.  So, if your watch gives you recovery time metrics based on the FirstBeat heart rate variability measurements, they won't  be accurate.

Bonus-  you can wear the wrist strap next to your watch, so you can get real-time HR during swims.  Works on Ambits and v800's, but not garmins, as the garmin firmware won't allow it when in their swim modes.

2015-12-05 3:16 PM
    in reply to: morey000

Sarasota, Florida
    Well my FT4 was perfect. Lately it's been disconnecting, spiking between 80 and 170 and today it started slowly rising so I started slowing my pace until I was walking and it was still stuck on 172. I stopped took my hr which was lower but it was stuck on 172 for over 10 minutes. I was hoping to start some hr training but can't trust it now. I'll try a reset but the opticals do look tempting.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Better Heart Rate Monitor? Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

what is best heart rate monitor?

Started by ryanlangmaid
    Views: 1007 Posts: 6

2010-12-02 9:19 AM Donto

Best heart rate monitors..

Started by nicecat13
    Views: 1003 Posts: 4

2010-11-26 7:50 PM rsmoylan

Polar bike monitor and heart rate monitor

Started by turtleturtle
    Views: 1159 Posts: 2

2008-05-22 6:18 AM gleser

the best heart rate monitor training book?

Started by vrljc
    Views: 2140 Posts: 6

2008-01-21 7:14 AM robdbirch

Heart rate monitor

Started by hytenms
    Views: 1359 Posts: 5

2003-08-26 3:29 AM hytenms
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 23, 2011
    author : MultisportWorld
    comments : 0
    This panel discussion will cover many questions on heart rate monitors, powermeters and testing.

date : May 19, 2010
    author : Patrick McCrann
    comments : 1
    Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.
    date : May 21, 2007
    author : mikericci
    Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : KevinKonczak
    Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.
    date : November 29, 2004
    author : chrisandniki
    So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : September 10, 2004
    author : steve
    I started the process with clippers on my chest. Halfway through the process I realized that this shaving plan was probably not the brightest idea I have ever had in my life.
    date : August 30, 2004
    author : sherrick
    comments : 2
    Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
    author : sherrick
    Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.