General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-17 10:56 AM

Subject: Bike Fit Question
I had a Retul bike fit done over the summer at a LBS. Cost was $250. I was already riding a Cannondale Synapse Ultra (size 48) and wanted to add aero-bars. During the process, the fitter said my bike was a touch too small for me but he could make enough adjustments to get me in a more aero position.

I am starting to look at purchasing a tri-bike so I emailed the shop and asked what models I should be looking at based on my fit data. The owner said a Cervelo P2 or QR in a size 48 would fit me well. He mentioned he had both in stock. He also sent me my fit report.

Here is my question...if my size 48 road bike was too small wouldn't I need a larger size in a tri-bike? I am worried he is just trying to sell me what he has in stock. I looked at the measurements in my fit report but those were taken based off my (too small) road bike. For what it's worth, I do feel a little cramped on my road bike.

I also should add, I am on a pretty tight budget and would like to avoid paying to having another fit done pre-purchase, since I am assuming I will need one after purchasing my bike. Any advice?

2015-11-17 11:12 AM
in reply to: cincygirl

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Bike Fit Question
Your fit report will have a lot of dimensions on it. Two very important dimensions are Stack and Reach. So you can double check the fitters recommendation by comparing the stack/reach on your fit report of those of the Cervelo and QR bikes. Frame size alone (48 etc.) does not always tell the complete picture about fit. Two bikes labeled size 48 can have different geometries etc.

I also had a Retul fit the first bike I had was a road+aerobars but I had to add a FF seatpost and a different stem to hit the fit dimensions.

If you paid for a Retul fit those numbers should hold regardless of bike manufacturer.

2015-11-17 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

There's a world of difference between fitting for best position, and "fitting" a bike post-purchase. What you did was the latter, and quite frankly was likely not worth the $250 you paid for it, especially since it resulted in a position that you find "cramped". Basing a future purchase on this fitting is just throwing good money after bad.

I'd suggest waiting until you can accumulate enough cash to get a new fitting (done properly) pre-puchase as well as buying the bike. The season is basically over, yes? You can make due with what you've got for a little while longer.

2015-11-19 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Slowtwitch has Stack and Reach tables for most tri bikes in every size and many articles that explain all the details to understand the concepts well. Spend some time reading and understanding. I would check to see if stack and reach of the two bikes the shop recommended had similar stack and reach, and if not run not walk away from their recommendations.

P2 in 48 stack 46.1 reach 38.9

650C

int

70x6

Low

75/78

I look at the QR data and not sure which model was recommended and don't see any in a 48.

2015-11-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I had about the same experience.  My first bike was a used Cannondale and I used their on-line chart to put myself in a 58 frame.  When I took the used bike into the LBS/Cannondale Reps for a basic fitting they told be that they would have put me in a 56 and that Tri bikes often run a size smaller on people that a street bike.  After completing my first 70.3 I was pretty sure that I was going to stick with Triathlon for a while and though that i should get a fit first approach to make sure my next bike fit me.  My Fitter gave me a list of bikes that were on the floor in the store, but not of them were an exact fit and all of the them would require adjustment to get to my fit.  The bike fitter gave me a maximum reach height and maximum stack height as a starting point for me to start my own search.  He said the most important would be the stak height for me.  I was surprised that of the 200+ tri bike geometries that I looked through in a few geometry databases that the 58 Cannondale Slice was actually one of the better fits out their for me.  The frame sizes however varied between manufacturers and even between different models from the same manufactures.  I fit as small as a 55/56 in some models and as big as a 60 in others (or as small as Medium and large as XL).  58 was the size that came up most often though.  :-) I fund 5-6 models that meet the stack/reach requirements and noticed that one had a really good margin of safety on both specs.  I choose that one and one the one that was the closest to hitting the specs right ont he money and asked my fitter whihc would be the better fit.  He went to the Top Center spec and told them that neither were int he range that we was looking for for my fit.  I went back to the list and their were only two bikes that fit the top center range.  I asked him about those two bikes and I basically got the feeling that he felt that I would be faster with an hour of position training that I would be with $1000 of a customer frame to meet my specs.  He said just get close and then get the modifications/adjustments that you need for the bike to get to your position and that will probably be the best option.  

So....for me frame sizes varied from 55-60 based on the stake reach specs that my bike fitter was looking at.  He also was looking at top center height and probably every other dimension specified on the bike too.  The geometry of every frame is different and getting the one that fits you could vary as you go from model to model.  

Note:  I also was worried that me fitter fit was biased based on my current bike's fit.  He however assured me that the fit he sent me was for me and that he arrived at it independent of my current fit.  The fit that your fitter sent you also will be a custom fit for you.   You current bike didn't quite get to that fit but you fitter is confidant they he can get you to that fit with the bikes he has in stock.  They make require some modifications/adjustments, but they are probably close enough that he isn't going to recommend a $1000 custom fit frame but rather start with a stock frame and them customer fit your position..

Edited by BlueBoy26 2015-11-19 1:15 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Fit Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bike, Bike fit Questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 1077 Posts: 8

2011-10-26 11:14 PM gzh6464

Tri-Bike Fitting Question - Pre-Fit

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1629 Posts: 13

2011-07-13 10:12 AM audiojan

Bike fitting question...

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 1015 Posts: 11

2006-01-17 11:48 PM AdventureBear

Bike Fit Question

Started by Aikane
Views: 892 Posts: 8

2004-09-13 7:26 AM Machiavelo

Bike fitting question

Started by cjy2d
Views: 785 Posts: 6

2004-08-17 1:21 PM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.

date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Proper Bicycle Fit and Treatment of Common Cycling-related Medical Problems