General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Repeatable Week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-18 11:31 AM

Brisbane, Australia
Subject: Repeatable Week
Hi All,

Im trying to improve my work-training life balance to be able to spend plenty of time with the family but still be able to maintain a level of fitness that will allow me to comfortably compete in sprints and olys at very short notice and still be able to punch out a respectable HIM with a dedicated 10 week or so build. My background is that I have a 7 and 5 year old and I leave for work at 05:30am every morning so there is no opportunity for morning training (plus I hate mornings!). However, I'm home from work at 2:30pm so there is no problem punching out a 1-1.5hr session and then be able to spend the rest of the afternoon/evening with my wife and kids now that I'm not working stupidly long hours anymore. I can train longer on the weekends but still don't want to be out training all day to the detriment of my family and fun time. I've competed in triathlons on and off for over 15 years so I've got a fair bit of experience, I'm consistent across all three legs but I'm not trying to win my AG or qualify for world champs etc, just keep fit and keep trying to better my times (PB: 4:42 HIM).

Sorry for the long intro, but my question is;
Will the following repeatable week be acceptable to achieve the desired level of fitness that I've described and enable me to peak for any HIM with a dedicated 8-10 week build? I'm thinking something like this;

Monday: Run 1-1:15hrs (approx 12-15km). Include some intervals of 3-5mins @ 10km pace (4:10-4:15mjn/km for me)

Tuesday: Swim Squad 1hr (approx 3-3.5km). Tough set with lots of varied intervals.

Wednesday: Ride 2hrs (approx 60km). Includes varied intervals from 5-20mins over varied terrain.

Thursday: Strength Session in the gym 1hr. Circuit type using kettlebells and free weights with high reps and min rest.

Friday: Long Run 2-2.5hrs (approx 20-25km). Slow and easy.
Open-water, straight swim 1hr (approx 3km).

Saturday: Long Ride 3-3.5hrs (approx 80-100km). Steady over varied terrain. I ride by myself or with one other mate so it's all done with nose into the wind and no stops until after the ride is done.

Sunday: either OFF or a repeat of the Thursday strength session.

I'm after thoughts on the above program as a consistent, repeatable training week. The 'weekend' for me is Fri and Sat vice Sunday. I'm guessing people might think the strength sessions are superfluous but the gym is 2mins walk from my house, is free and I like what it does to my body composition and my injury resistance. I envisage that a HIM build would see the strength session removed/scaled back and the lengthening of the other SBR sessions and intervals with the addition of a wind-trainer session and another run - probably as a brick.

Interested in everyone's feedback and suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

2015-11-18 1:00 PM
in reply to: Buggeracup

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Repeatable Week

I think you'll stay in good shape on that program.  So if those are all workouts you enjoy and you can keep it up, it will probably suit your purposes fine. 

But I'd consider a couple of things.  First, running only 2x per week is not ideal.  It would probably be better if you could more often do some shorter runs even if you cut back on your long one (there's no real reason to be running 2-2.5hrs at all for your training goals--unless you really love to do so). 

Also, most of the time, I'd look to make your second swim another swim squad-type workout most weeks (might not fit after a long run).  You'll get much more impact from your limited swim time that way.

This is just to give you another way to think about organizing your time, but:

Monday: Run 1-1:30hrs 
Tuesday: Swim Squad 1hr + 20-30min run
Wednesday: Strength Session in the gym 1hr. + 20-30min run
Thursday: Swim Squad 1hr + 20-30min run 
Friday: Long Ride 2-3.5hrs. Solid effort (HIM+) with option of a few harder intervals + 20-30min run
Saturday: Ride 1-2hrs. Include varied intervals + 20-30min run
Sunday: either OFF or a repeat of the Wed strength session or an easy ride or an easy run

Basically, you don't have to do all of the 20-30min runs, but aim for at least 3 or 4 per week.  You can switch up days for the long bike/interval bike.  If you want to ride longer, feel free.  If you want/need to ride shorter, ride harder.  That's how I would approach it at any rate.

X

2015-11-19 10:15 AM
in reply to: #5152693

Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the feedback.

You're right, there is no requirement to run that long every week. I'll trim that back to 1:45-2:00hrs I think. Likewise, the Saturday long ride could be 2:30-3:00hrs so I stay motivated. I'm aiming for around 10hrs per week max.

What is the benefit of multiple short runs? I assume it's a way of increasing weekly mileage but is there much fitness benefit in a short 20min easy run?
2015-11-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: Buggeracup

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The reason to do a lot of short runs is durability.  Your plan of two longer runs is fine as long as you don't get injured.  But frequency is an easier way to build/maintain durability with far less risk of injury.  Ideally, you want to also get a little more volume than if you just did your two longer runs.  Fitness benefits won't be exactly the same, but should be similar.  (Shorter runs also give you opportunities to either go easy or push the pace depending on how you feel that day and not be forced into 'I need to run this one hard'.)

Under 10hrs per week should not be a problem for your goals.

2-3hr swim, 3-4hr run, 2-4hr bike, 0-2hr strength.  Build your basic week off those.  Remember to manipulate intensity as well.  And don't be afraid to do training blocks where you go heavier on a single sport and cut way back on one or both of the others for a few weeks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Repeatable Week Rss Feed