Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-11-24 10:10 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Syrian refuges

Originally posted by Renee I went to junior high and high school with kids who were refugees from Vietnam. We bonded over our love of the B-52s and pizza. I have a friend whose family escaped Vietnam by boat; they were stranded on an island with other families where young girls were frequently raped by armed fishermen who picked them off the island at will. One of these girls was his cousin. Eventually his family made it to a Cambodian refugee camp before making it to the US. They still speak Vietnamese in their home, but they also love their life here. My husband's family came to the US to escape the pogroms in the Ukraine. It was the practice to change your surname when you were admitted to the US because the US would send your immigration notice back to your country of origin. To protect any family still left in the Ukraine (or Russia), they would give a false surname. His family made it their business to "fit in" to American culture, as they were ever wary of being singled out and persecuted for their religion. My great-great grandfather emigrated to the US with his family to escape the Franco-Prussian war. He didn't want to die in yet another European war. I would not only welcome a family, I would find household items and clothes to donate. These people are fleeing death and destruction, a vulgar and brutal war. I think most are just like you and me, they just want to raise their family without fear of a bomb landing on their house. I'm not sure what the POTUS could do to unite the country. With someone like Donald Trump finding so much favor with a %age of the population, it's clear that no POTUS would be able to unite this country. We are a polarized nation.

This is where I find my internal conflict on the refugee situation.  For the majority of the people who are truly fleeing the situation I feel 100% the way you do.  However, it's just naive to completely ignore any potential security threat when ISIS has flat out said they will exploit the refugee crisis to smuggle militants into western countries.  Even the great compassionate liberal mecca of Canada is refusing entry to single male Syrian refugees.

I know I'm in the minority here on BT, but I'm in the majority nationally and this is why Trump is getting a lot of traction on this issue.  The American public doesn't want wide open borders to let anyone and everyone to come to America unchecked. 

2015-11-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Buttercup
Originally posted by tuwood

This is where I find my internal conflict on the refugee situation.  For the majority of the people who are truly fleeing the situation I feel 100% the way you do.  However, it's just naive to completely ignore any potential security threat when ISIS has flat out said they will exploit the refugee crisis to smuggle militants into western countries.  Even the great compassionate liberal mecca of Canada is refusing entry to single male Syrian refugees.

I know I'm in the minority here on BT, but I'm in the majority nationally and this is why Trump is getting a lot of traction on this issue.  The American public doesn't want wide open borders to let anyone and everyone to come to America unchecked. 

I would go further than just completely naive; I would call it stupid, foolish, a complete abdication of responsibility to completely ignore any potential security threat. It's a good thing nobody is proposing that. Nobody wants wide open borders and that might have to do with why we don't have wide open borders.

You framed your response as an all or nothing issue. It is not all or nothing and nobody is proposing it be all or nothing. That is a false and preposterous dichotomy.

On a side note: Trump sounds like a nationalist spouting dangerous, demagoguery. It is disappointing to see that that demagoguery appeals to so many people, but as Tim Russert used to say, "What a country!"

Sorry about the all caps thing. For some reason the bold tag does that within a quote, but not without a quote.
2015-11-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Renee

I would go further than just completely naive; I would call it stupid, foolish, a complete abdication of responsibility to completely ignore any potential security threat. It's a good thing nobody is proposing that. Nobody wants wide open borders and that might have to do with why we don't have wide open borders. You framed your response as an all or nothing issue. It is not all or nothing and nobody is proposing it be all or nothing. That is a false and preposterous dichotomy. On a side note: Trump sounds like a nationalist spouting dangerous, demagoguery. It is disappointing to see that that demagoguery appeals to so many people, but as Tim Russert used to say, "What a country!" Sorry about the all caps thing. For some reason the bold tag does that within a quote, but not without a quote.

The wide open borders is mixing the border with mexico into the discussion as well, but I can't see how any interpretation of what's going on with our southern border is anything but a wide open border.  We as a society are rewarding anyone who crosses the border by allowing them to work and function in our society with a  "wink wink" you can stay.  We need to close the border, make a legitimate documented work program for foreign labor and get it under control.  I don't get into the camp of they're all coming to take our welfare and sell drugs, but there need to be some controls over the mess we have now.

I apologize for sucking a different topic into the syrian discussion.

2015-11-25 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
He's a comedian, obviously, so it's to be taken with a grain of salt, but I thought what John Oliver said on HBO was funny:

"Let's be honest here: Every generation has had it's own ugly reaction to refugees, whether they are the Irish, the Vietnamese, the Cubans, or the Haitians, and those fears have been broadly unfounded.

In fact, there is only one time in American history when the fear of refugees wiping everyone out did actually come true, and we'll all be sitting around the table celebrating it on Thursday."

2015-11-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

In fact, there is only one time in American history when the fear of refugees wiping everyone out did actually come true, and we'll all be sitting around the table celebrating it on Thursday."

Classic!

Happy Thanksgiving y'all,
2015-11-27 7:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Yes ISIS has said they want to exploit the situation but I doubt they planted people in the camps 3 or 4 years back as sleeper agents to apply for refugee status. More likely that those types (single young males) passed through and headed for Europe.

Edited by simpsonbo 2015-11-27 7:50 PM

2015-11-27 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

Originally posted by Renee I went to junior high and high school with kids who were refugees from Vietnam. We bonded over our love of the B-52s and pizza. I have a friend whose family escaped Vietnam by boat; they were stranded on an island with other families where young girls were frequently raped by armed fishermen who picked them off the island at will. One of these girls was his cousin. Eventually his family made it to a Cambodian refugee camp before making it to the US. They still speak Vietnamese in their home, but they also love their life here. My husband's family came to the US to escape the pogroms in the Ukraine. It was the practice to change your surname when you were admitted to the US because the US would send your immigration notice back to your country of origin. To protect any family still left in the Ukraine (or Russia), they would give a false surname. His family made it their business to "fit in" to American culture, as they were ever wary of being singled out and persecuted for their religion. My great-great grandfather emigrated to the US with his family to escape the Franco-Prussian war. He didn't want to die in yet another European war. I would not only welcome a family, I would find household items and clothes to donate. These people are fleeing death and destruction, a vulgar and brutal war. I think most are just like you and me, they just want to raise their family without fear of a bomb landing on their house. I'm not sure what the POTUS could do to unite the country. With someone like Donald Trump finding so much favor with a %age of the population, it's clear that no POTUS would be able to unite this country. We are a polarized nation.

but the path to admittance as a refugee is NOT a wide open border.    there is a process in place that takes multiple steps and up to 2 years.    examine that before shutting the door completely.    

2015-11-28 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by bootygirl

but the path to admittance as a refugee is NOT a wide open border.    there is a process in place that takes multiple steps and up to 2 years.    examine that before shutting the door completely.    

Nm

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2015-11-28 3:19 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Syrian refuges Rss Feed  

of 3