General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kestrel Talon, how to set it up for training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-19 7:21 AM

Subject: Kestrel Talon, how to set it up for training?
Greetings all! First post, I'm definitely a beginner triathlete. Last year, I did my first triathlon, the Chicago Oly distance. I've always been more of a mountain bike kinda guy, so for the race borrowed my dad's 25 year old road bike. It did the job, and really made me appreciate the difference between what I had been riding and what I COULD be doing.

Recently I signed up for the 70.3 Steelhead and want to get a bit more serious about it. Given that I still don't know if this will be a long term hobby, I decided to buy used. Found a really good deal on a 2009 Kestrel Talon, had it checked out by a LBS and given a clean bill of health (both in condition and fit for my size) and made the purchase. Since this only other bike I have is a mountain bike, I feel great about having something that (in theory) can work as both a road bike and a tri-bike.

I beleive it's currently in 'road' setup, in that it has aero bars clipped on, but... well, to be honest, that's really all I know from that perspective! What can I say, I'm a total newb

So a few questions:
1) When people say the Talon can be set up for Tri or Road... what exactly are they referring to? I know the seat can be moved between two positions. But besides that, what else would one do to set it up for road riding vs tri?
2) For the purpose of TRAINING for the 70.3, should I keep it in 'tri setup' full time? Or put into road setup the majority of the time and switch it to tri a month or so before the race? I do also commute to work, which is 15 miles from the Chicago suburbs to the city. Half of it is on the roads, and half of it is on the Lakefront trail. So would I be better off keeping it in a road setup most of the time?
3) I don't have pedals for it yet. On my mountain bike, I have SPD pedals. I'm assuming that's not what I would want on this bike. But once again, I'm a newb! What would people recommend I look into for this?

Appreciate any help and advice people can provide!!

2015-11-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: teach42

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Kestrel Talon, how to set it up for training?
Truly changing between road and tri setups on any bike will be tough (they need a lot of different parts) most likely you have the talon set up in one setup or the other.

1.)
for the most part when they refer to road or tri
Road = drop bars (possibly with clip ons) and brifters (shifter/brake levers)
tri = bullhorns with clip ons (with separate brake levers on the horns and shifters on the extensions)

2.)
For most people, a road setup where you are constantly in contact with the brake levers is safer, especially on a commute or interacting with others (cars/people/bikes/animals)

3.)
SPD's can work, but at some point you'll likely want true road pedals/cleats. Shimano, Look, Speedplay (and others) all make road pedals.
2015-11-22 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Set your Talon up as a tri-bike with bullhorn, aero bars, and end shifters.
Buy another set of wheels for your mountain bike and mount smooth tread tires on them for commuting, Now you have a fast commuting, sluggish training bike that can be converted for off road use very quickly, and a dedicated racing tri-bike.
2015-11-26 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Just a word of caution... Talon is a compromise between a road bike and a tri bike. In such, it's not really a good road bike, nor is it a good tri bike. Had one for a few years, but in the end, it's a compromise that's simply not worth it...

You're better off buying a good road bike and use clip on's.
2015-12-13 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

This year I purchased a Talon from a LBS who is the foremost bike fitter in the area and does a lot of business selling tri bikes ranging in quality from the Talon to the very top end. He likes the Talon for the money and sells a number of them. To me, this is enough of a ringing endorsement. Hey, I paid $1,430 for a carbon fiber bike (less pedals), so I don't expect to get a top end bike for that amount of money. But I agree with the bike shop that the Talon is a lot of bike for what you pay for it.

I had the choice of going tri or road configuration on my bike. I chose road with a set of high quality clip-on aero bars and I am glad I did. I train on rural roads but also do some in-town riding. I can't imagine riding around town without my hands on the hood (brakes).

I asked the bike shop how hard it would be to switch to a tri configuration. Aside from bars and brake / shifter hardware, you have to run new cables. While it is something that is possible to do, it is neither practical nor affordable.

To the original poster, my background is similar to yours. Did my first tri this last season on my mountain bike. The Talon is the first road bike I have ever owned. I am doing a 70.3 Ironman next June and may or may not do a sprint or olympic event prior to that. Good luck with your tri journey and enjoy the Talon.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2015-12-13 11:43 AM
2016-01-08 8:57 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

New user

Farmington Hills, Michigan
Originally posted by HaydenHunter

This year I purchased a Talon from a LBS who is the foremost bike fitter in the area and does a lot of business selling tri bikes ranging in quality from the Talon to the very top end. He likes the Talon for the money and sells a number of them. To me, this is enough of a ringing endorsement. Hey, I paid $1,430 for a carbon fiber bike (less pedals), so I don't expect to get a top end bike for that amount of money. But I agree with the bike shop that the Talon is a lot of bike for what you pay for it.

I had the choice of going tri or road configuration on my bike. I chose road with a set of high quality clip-on aero bars and I am glad I did. I train on rural roads but also do some in-town riding. I can't imagine riding around town without my hands on the hood (brakes).

I asked the bike shop how hard it would be to switch to a tri configuration. Aside from bars and brake / shifter hardware, you have to run new cables. While it is something that is possible to do, it is neither practical nor affordable.

To the original poster, my background is similar to yours. Did my first tri this last season on my mountain bike. The Talon is the first road bike I have ever owned. I am doing a 70.3 Ironman next June and may or may not do a sprint or olympic event prior to that. Good luck with your tri journey and enjoy the Talon.

I had the same experience. When I was getting a more detailed fitting from highly respectable bike fitter (Tri Bikes in Livonia, MI) he said that the Talon was an above average entry tri bike. You get your money's worth with it. I've done a fair amount of sprints and Olympic in the past two years on this bike and looking to do Steelhead in '16 on this bike (maybe, still debating). If he says it was a great choice who am I to question? All I know is that I have a couple people ready to buy this bike from me if I upgrade either this year or next year.

2016-01-14 7:07 PM
in reply to: #5152800

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
I think the Kestrel Talon is a good $1400 bike for someone with a $1400 budget. It was my first bike that I have been using for 2 years. I have passed a lot of people riding $10,000 bikes and I have had people pass be on $200 bikes.

I would set up the Kestrel in the tri setup because you need to train your back, legs, arms, neck, etc to ride in aero position for an extended time for maximum speed in a race. If you can't stay in aero in the race because you haven't trained for it you will give up a lot of time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kestrel Talon, how to set it up for training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kestrel Talon SL vs. Kestrel Talon

Started by mjnam
Views: 1042 Posts: 2

2010-04-06 10:56 PM Pacific John

Kestrel Talon

Started by wipate
Views: 1166 Posts: 7

2008-04-11 9:26 PM wipate

Kestrel Talon?

Started by k_hase
Views: 1129 Posts: 5

2007-11-23 2:23 AM audiojan

Looking at a Kestrel Talon

Started by mazdageek
Views: 856 Posts: 4

2006-12-31 10:00 AM audiojan

New Bike - Trek 5200, Kestrel Talon, Cervelo R2.5

Started by wndslr
Views: 4035 Posts: 5

2005-10-09 12:52 PM jerry
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : March 3, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 1
Configure your log settings to get the most out of your training log.